A little history... 3rd best Jet game EVER!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Apr 26, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Did you ever see the bomb from Joe Willie to Maynard? Would that be a controversial situation under today's interpretation of what constitutes a catch?
    And then the next play is Namath making one of the greatest plays of his career, evading pressure, almost slipping and then firing a bullet to Maynard in the End Zone

The game was blacked out in New York, as was the rule for home games in those days.
    So my greatest memory was successfully avoiding getting the score of the game until 11:30, and then watching the replay.
    I went to the movies that afternoon and saw Yellow Submarine!

3. patleahy

haha that is a great memory, EndlesslyCounting. It's cool to have Jets fans on the board who actually remember seeing Joe Namath play and the last time the Jets won the Super Bowl.

4. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Other than the win, I loved seeing old Shea in its glory days with the multi-colored panels on the outside & the muddy football field. I think I counted about 30 personal fouls in that video. Real football, not today's wimpy nonsense. NFL always does it right with these productions. Great stuff!

patleahy and ouchy like this.
  5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there is no copy of the broadcast, because there definitely was a complete rebroadcast at 11:30 that night on Channel 4.
    I have seen actual clips of the game on YouTube on both the video-tape of the Colts Browns telecast (which I did not watch to avoid hearing the score), as well as a video replay of Super Bowl III

patleahy likes this.
  6. major33

That's surprising. But as I said in my previous post, the NFL has always done an amazing job capturing individual games from unique perspectives in these types of recaps. Also, the music and the commentary were football perfect.

patleahy likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I saw a classic game on the NFL network of the jets and colts from 1971 a while back. On one play the Jet LB carried their RB 4 yards out of bounds and then body slammed him, no flags, and the ref got angry at the RB for not getting the ball back to him fast enough.

major33 and patleahy like this.
  8. patleahy

I really miss the way NFL Films used to present their Super Bowl highlight reels for each Super Bowl, major33. You know, with the intro by Steve Sabol and then the dramatic narration, and then the coda from Sabol. I used to watch all of those when I was a kid. Now the narration is sparse and it is all "mic'ed up" moments from the field and sidelines.

I also think it is a shame that the old intros from Sabol (along with the codas) have been edited out from the old Super Bowl Highlights packages. I noticed that they don't even show those anymore when NFL Network airs all of the NFL Films Super Bowl highlight films leading up to the Super Bowl each year.

major33 likes this.
  9. major33

That's funny because without even watching the tape, I 100% believe this happened. Not only that, the league probably fined the RB for delay of game. LOL

Reminds me of Ronnie Lott decapitating players on the field. You actually had to have a severed head on the field in order to draw a flag back then. :eek:

ouchy likes this.
  10. major33

Well nowadays it's all nicey nice so there really isn't anything tough and dramatic to show. The music today for NFL Films is probably that popular Asian boy band with a female doing the narration. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but they don't exactly fit the mold of a dramatic NFL narrator & musical accompaniment. But I hear ya, those NFL Film highlight tapes were perfectly produced. Everyone loves them.

I also miss the old intros from Monday Night Football. That was it when I was a kid. Hearing that music before the game and the intro was the best. Got me so psyched up even when the Jets weren't playing.

patleahy likes this.
  11. patleahy

Major33, I agree. In fact, you bringing up the old intros from MNF reminded me of the old dramatic intros from CBS in the 80's. Do you remember those? The dramatic music and narration about both teams and the importance of the game, etc. Here's one to jog your memory:

Footballgod214 and major33 like this.
  12. major33

That's decent but I think there are much better intros. Maybe if they had better dramatic music in the background it would have made the narration more compelling. Nothing beat Monday Night Football intro back then. Best intro in all of sports and they go ahead and kill it with this new nonsense. CBS had better NBA intros back in the 80s. Those were classic. You should listen to those on Youtube. Not sure if you're an NBA fan, but back in the 80s CBS had all the great NBA games on the weekends, usually Sunday afternoon.

patleahy likes this.
  13. patleahy

haha, well that particular intro wasn't anything special, but I selected it just to remind you of what CBS sports NFL intros were like in the 80's and because it is the intro to the classic Jets/Giants matchup in 1988. I agree with you that it is a shame the nobody does these dramatic intros anymore. They are definitely a thing of the past.

major33 likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So true! The struggle is real. Having to miss the game (live) and hurrying home to watch it on DVR HOPING no one blows it and tells you the ending. It's almost impossible now with social media....I remember like 10-15 yrs ago (back when you had to hit the button 1,2,3 or 4 times depending on what letter you wanted!) getting a txt msg HAHA JETS SUCK!!! just as I was firing up the DVR. ARRRRGGG!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

patleahy likes this.
  15. patleahy

at least it saved u the aggravation of watching a game they were going to ultimately lose, Footballgod214. ;)

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I probably watched it anyways! Masochist us all.

patleahy likes this.
  17. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Almost certainly, I haven't had a vhs player in years, so it's from memory.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Lamonica vs Namath were my favorite games, 2 great QB's with great arms, 2 gun slingers

patleahy likes this.
  19. matt robinson 17

Good point I've often thought of that as I rewatch the highlights, it would definitely be ruled incomplete with todays ridiculous rules

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  20. matt robinson 17

Next stupid rule was Lamonica throwing a backwards pass to Charlie Smith and the wind took it and Ralph Baker recovered it in stride and ran 65 yards for a TD and they said no TD and the ball was returned to the spot of the recovery, ridiculous, but that play sealed the deal anyway

#80 matt robinson 17, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Endlessly Counting likes this.