Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ryan Clark with an absolute brilliant analogy regarding the Wilson to Rodgers/Mahomes comparisons.

3:09

For those too lazy to watch, to paraphrase he says it’s like comparing a NBA prospect to Michael Jordan because of certain traits. It’s OK that they fall short and become Vince Carter but what they can’t do is become Harold Miner. That’s good stuff.

#3141 legler82, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I remember back at USC they used to call Harold Miner "Baby Jordan."

All Gas No Shake and legler82 like this.
  3. legler82

Hey Simms what are your thoughts on Adam Gase?

4. legler82

Exactly!!!!

5. legler82

Br4d likes this.
  6. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

Why is Ryan Clarks opinion more important than the others and why do you scour the internet looking for anything to bring down this player. In the end it means nothing. You should focus on why your guy is dropping. If you listened to Steve Young on the Cimini podcast you might have an idea. I'd trust Steve Young a lot more than Ryan Clark.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That video did bring up one thing that I feel some fans keep forgetting: The Jets are not just randomly picking Zach Wilson. He is a highly coveted prospect. They aren't passing up better prospects like Fields or Lance because they are a poorly run franchise. If the Jets did not take Wilson at #2, the 49ers would take him at #3 or traded up to the Jets spot at #2 if that was an option.

I don't get how fans can't see that as a huge positive. The only reason why people in the media and some fans are being negative is because the Jets are the Jets to them. It's annoying, but Joe Douglas will undo that stereotype one move at a time.....

8. patleahy

It is possible and has been done before. The Patsies were basically an NFL laughingstock for years until Kraft and Belichick got there.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I love the lazy analysis of dragging Wilson down on 2019 tape by Ryan Clark when he was playing hurt with & not being far removed from surgery on his labrum//throwing shoulder yet we can pardon Slater & Chase & Sewell & Parsons for opting out of the 2020 season. A guy played hurt and tried to help his team win games and while I am not shaming any of the opt out guys, why are those magically discarded as all of those guys are top 10 or fringe top 10 prospects? It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's fair to say why is he a 1 year wonder but I won't rag the stats of Wilson of 2019 on him fully when we are choosing to omit opt out players of 2020, the more recent year.

Wilson has more reps than Mac does as a starter but Jones is the more ready and more experienced QB in these analysts eyes. Why?

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Those than can DO; those that can't, TEACH". Sit and learn Grasshopper.:D

Brook!, K'OB and patleahy like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

True. Also, sometimes it just clicks with a QB. No one will judge Josh Allen on his first 2 seasons in the NFL. The expectation for Year 4 is that he will play close to Year 3. Common sense.

Darnold was the opposite of Wilson, where he had a strong 2016, and then regressed in 2017. I was able to look past that and blame the weak USC team around him, but it actually revealed more than I realized.

Joe Burrow went from nowhere to National Champion at LSU, and showed before his injury last season, that it was not a fluke either. He looks like a strong NFL QB.

The argument that the past somehow erases or negates the present, is some of the weakest arguments I have ever seen. It just doesn't work in sports. Sports are LITERALLY "What have you done for me lately?". Nothing else matters.

12. ColoradoContrails

Not too many of us who prefer Wilson have been "boasting", certainly not on the level of the Field Flock. No matter how much I like Zach, I've acknowledged all along that he's not perfect, so of course I have doubt, and I'm not going to apologize for that. I'm not a "guru", so I don't have any title to defend.:)

ouchy and Borat like this.
  13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Exactly, I like that he got better in 2020 vs 2019. He's what? 21 years old. His body isn't even fully done yet either, he can tack on muscle and get stronger in a NFL pro condition room. People think he's sticking at that weight his entire time through.

I just find it odd we can all brush off missed years by some of the opt out prospects but we will rag on stats by someone for 2019 that was played while not 100%. I thought toughness was valued. Seems that way only for Fields. Wilson's toughness or lack there of is judged by look and nothing more.

Borat and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Same as JT O'Sullivan - loves Gase. QB eval where I would focus on with these guys.

legler82 and patleahy like this.
  15. patleahy

oh come on CC...lol...you know that is
    in Bubby Brister's defense he HATED the Gase hire and said so publicly multiple times.

legler82 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

After all the "slicing and dicing", watching film, listening to experts (and those claiming to be), and digesting all of it as best I can, here's what I come up with as my rationale for wanting Zach Wilson: he has a knack for making plays, unlike anyone else in this draft, and much like Mahomes, Rodgers, Elway. Is he exactly likethem Of course not. But he has that instinct, and that's why I like him.

Brook!, Borat and patleahy like this.
  17. patleahy

Agreed CC...I honestly think the only LEGIT red flag for Zach is his frame....he is teeny-tiny. :(

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Because he is a talking head, nothing more. Guy speaks well, but I just don't know if he did a deep dive on film study on each prospect. QB evaluation is different than general football opinion, you really need to look at the details of each play to be able to form an opinion. One thing that did come up though is that in 2018/9 competition was tougher. I concede this point, and it is a concern. However, I pointed out before, there are two good teams that Zach played in the past that he played again this season: Boise st and SDSU. Boise was ranked and SDSU always had very good defense. In the past BYU lost to both with Zach throwing no TDs with bunch of picks and generally not playing as well. This year he played SAME EXACT teams, with Boise being ranked, and demolished them with 6TDs 0INT and 70% + completion.

The point is, yes, while you can say in the past he had harder schedule, he did play some of the same good teams as before where he did poorly, and showed DRASTIC improvement. Carolina was ranked too, and he played well. So, yeah, I would have liked to see more teams like that, but the fact the guy showed ability to grow and improved leaps and bounds over previous years is undeniable. It's not just weaker schedule, there is enough evidence, some of which I outlined, that proves otherwise.

BakerMaker likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'll translate for the rest:

"I was trolling and you were the only one to take the bait. Everyone else saw through me like I was made of glass."

GasedAndConfused and REVISion like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Latest reports are that the 49ers are no longer considering Fields at 3, it's down to Lance or Jones for them.

Fields could see a bit of a tumble here because it's not obvious who's going to take him after the 49ers. The Falcons likely won't, the Bengals definitely won't. The Dolphins are unlikely to take him. It could come down to the Lions or Panthers pick.

Borat and matt robinson 17 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.