Reminiscing over some of the Jets most baffling draft picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 27, 2021.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

To be fair to the Jets, many of the experts got it wrong but some of these picks were "are you kidding me?" to, WTF?" Feel free to leave your favorites.

• 1988 Jets pick Dave Cadigan over HOF'rs Tim Brown, Thurman Thomas, Michael Irvin.
    • Johnny "Lam" Jones 1980 pick 2 over Art Monk. Sorry to bring this up in light of his passing. Although Jones had blazing speed he always seem to find it necessary to leap for ball. Monk ended up being drafted in the mid teens and went on to have a pretty good career
    • Jets take Bryan Thomas at 22 instead of Ed Reed at 24. Everyone had Reed as high as 11 in 2002 and Thomas at around 29 to early 2nd.
    • Jets take Kyle Brady in 95 again passing on HOF Warren Sapp who had failed on drug test in college. Keep in mind that the Jets had Johnny Mitchell the year before.. Another head scratcher at the time.
    • My all time favorite. Ken Obrien over Marino in 83. Marino had a question mark because of his pot smoking and partying in college. I remember that draft and asking who the fuck is Ken Obrien. Although Obrien had a a decent career he never became close to HOFr Marino.
    Anyway, I'm upbeat this year and think the slots have got to pay off one of these years for the Jets and I think this is the year.

westiedog1, Jets79 and King Koopa like this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Mike Nugent - Kicker in the 2nd round, and an average at best kicker at that

Quinton Coples over Melvin Ingram and Stephen Hill over Alshon Jeffrey in back to back rounds was really dumb then and proved to be...wasn’t happy at all at the time

Hackenberg - Everyone knew he was bad except for our geniuses

Jets taking a d tackle high every year and ignoring the offense pretty much for a stretch was fun

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Taking Jamal Adams instead of Mahomes or Watson (though now I'm glad we didn't take Watson because thinking we got the next Namath and then finding out he's a serial sexual predator and might not ever play in the NFL again would be the most Jets thing ever).

Jets79 likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

How about Blair Thomas with the #2 pick in 1990 instead of Emmitt Smith ?

Jets79 and patleahy like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Mike Nugent, 47th overall.

Edit: see he was already listed.

Anyone add the bowling ball with knives? We’ve done worse I suppose.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

As a big Penn State fan it pains me to say
    Dennis Onkotz- great PSU LB who broke his leg in camp and never played for the Jets
    Blair Thomas- who was a beast at PSU
    Kyle Brady- who was Mark Bavaro like at PSU
    Hack- who was pretty good at PSU
    Sam Ficken- was almost All American his senior year, but is too inconsistent on the pro level

On the flip side
    John Ebersole- good tackler and special teamer for the Jets
    Greg Buttle- had a few really good years for us, injuries curtailed his career
    Lance Mehl- was one of the best LB's the Jets ever had, injuries ruined a HOF career

#6 matt robinson 17, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

HOW MANY RINGS DOES HE HAVE?

Then ask yourself would he have got one playing in a windy cold NY for a career.

Jets fans piss me off at times but non-more so than when licking Marino's ballsack while pretending KOB was some fucking scrub, the man is still our 2nd best QB ever, no respect at all.

8. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

1987- 1st rd- FULLBACK, Roger Vick... yes, a fullback in the 1st round. Doesn't get any worse than that.

9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I don't think any draft decision will ever be as dumb as when we traded for Doug Jolley and then took Mike Nugent in the second round. That was basically the Jets forfeiting a first round pick in order to acquire a mediocre TE and a kicker. Say what you want about the multitude of dumb decisions they've made with first round picks in the past, they at least tried with those picks.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

These are all just a microcosm of how the Jets franchise has been arguably the worst drafting franchise in all of the NFL. The key word being arguably as there's probably 4-5 more franchises who can vie for this title too. Regardless they have been absolute shit at drafting forever.

I really hope Douglas and staff are better evaluators of talent. That's all it comes down to. If you see guys who were studs in college you take them. Don't reach for projects. Proven commodities almost every time. Jets have an uncanny ability to not take the BPA. That needs to end with this draft. We shall see.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Dewayne Robertson at #4 - a DT with a bum knee for 2 1st rounders and a 4th...

Jets79 and cval like this.
  12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

With regards to Marino, there were also questions about the health of his knees.

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yup. There have been many years where a fan voting draft would have been MUCH better than the Jet's draft.

REVISion, Jets79 and JetsNation06 like this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Lol So true!

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

1. Vernon Ghoulston - Taken over the very loud and vehement objection of the scouting department at the insistence of Mangini.
    2. Scotty McKnight - See above. The scouting department was pissed that we would draft a player they gave an undraftable grade to do a favor for Sanchez.
    3. 1989 Jeff Lageman - While the player was solid the problem was using a 1st round pick on a player projected to go in the fourth round. The draft is not only player evaluation but getting good value for those picks. For example if Bryce Hall turns into a starter he is great value for a 5th round pick but it would have been a waste if we had used 1st rounder on a player we could have gotten in round 5.
    4. Mark Sanchez - The scouting department was against the pick but Rex insisted.
    5. Ardarius Stewart - Once again the Jets draft a player to appease the coaching staff and not the scouting department.

Jets79 and patleahy like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Chad Pennington over Tom Brady.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. I almost forgot to view this as I always do once a year. This needs to be updated though to include most of the last twenty years.

REVISion, patleahy and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that thought Blair Thomas was looking promising until that fumble against the Bears in that MNF game? If my memory serves me right it started going downhill sometime after that. He wasn’t a home run hitter but seemed to get 4-5 yards a pop on every carry. That’s usually the sign of a good RB.

NYJFan10 and patleahy like this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Marino’s arm would have been fine at the Meadowlands. He seemed to have no trouble busting our ass once a year in said stadium. That aside, I agree Kenny O is severely underrated by us fans.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

"Obviously the Jets know something that the people up here don't."

cmcm750203, REVISion, jilozzo and 2 others like this.