A little history... 3rd best Jet game EVER!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Apr 26, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

haha so in other words Leahy being Leahy.....as unpredictable as the Santa Ana Winds.....;) just when u expect him to miss a clutch kick (yet again)...he actually makes it to win the game....getting your hopes up for the next time he kicks in a clutch situation....just to have them dashed when he went back to choking. In a perverse kind of way, Pat Leahy was the perfect kicker for the Jets....lol :(

2. patleahy

thanks for posting all of these old guys, guys...please keep 'em coming! great memories ESP from the mid 80's....;)

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the AFC Divisional Game against the Jags? Our newly minted #1 overall draft pic WR had the best game of his career. Keyshawn was unstoppable the entire game. He was a ton of cool stuff like TD, fumble recovery, Interception when he was put in on D for a hailmary....one and one. One of our best games!

mrjet80 and ouchy like this.
  4. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I've got the 72 game on vhs. I bought it in the 80s (It also had a Raiders game), thinking it was Superbowl III.

I realised pretty quickly it wasn't the Superbowl and had to watch a game from a previous decade wondering if I'd spent my pocket money on a Jets defeat...thankfully not.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry youngie the ONLY classic game was the PO game pkayed in Sjea Stadium vs Oakland Dec 1968:mad:

major33 likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Most important catch/play in Jet history

[​IMG]

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A more than 80/20 split in the defeats favour lol

#47 K'OB, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    donkey likes this.
  8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yks MR that was a heart stopping mom6ent :)

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

Greatest/clutchest throw of Joe's career

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You mean the half hour special on the 72 game? Not the actual broadcast ?

11. patleahy

haha your memory continues to impress me, Matt. :)

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. matt robinson 17

Always have fun with the NFL Countdown to Kickoff threads, post a Jet for each number starting with 99 days till Kickoff
    Used to drive my wife crazy on long car trips to entertain my son, I would go ok let's start at 99 name a Jet player with that number all the way down to 1

#52 matt robinson 17, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

What made this game quite memorable for me was, that for our entire tailgate party "playoffs" wasn't even a topic. (queue Jim Mora) Then, walking into Giants Stadium there was some buzz due to people having radios (remember them?) on walking in. (I was one of those) So, we get to our seats and before long it's PARTY ON! provided they win, and boy did the team come alive and start playing well AGAINST THE PACKERS.

So, in this respect, coming from a guy who has trudged to many many games, this one really does stand out. It was so much fun, and so unexpected. As far as games attended in person, it's top 5.

And now, ANOTHER yet unmentioned game occurred to me that could be on that list. What about the destruction of the Bengals in the last game at Giants Stadium?

James Hasty likes this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I would say the 51-45 game is definitely one of the Jets greatest games but if we’re counting playoffs it probably makes top 10. If we’re not counting playoffs then it’s in the top 5 for sure.

Cman68 and patleahy like this.
  15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Well what do you know, I found a ticket stub for that game. We went with a bunch of people and this was not actually the seat I sat in for this game. I sat in this particular seat for the Billy "White Shoes" Johnson game, which was perhaps a top 5 Jets loss. The Rams game we had great seats first row in the upper deck on the 45 yard line. The only sport where I like to sit higher is football. The field seats at Shea were terrible and it was hard to see. What was good about the Mezz Res ticket below is that it was under the overhang so if it rained you were protected. The Billy White Shoes Johnson game was cold and it was pouring, so thankfully we were in these seats.

I don't remember exactly what took place during the brawl since I was high up, but it looked like nobody on the Jets really cared if Gastineau got his ass kicked. Rumors were that everyone hated him and the players were sick of his sack dance. Great game! Memorable and what was great where we were sitting was that I got to see the original guy who started the J-E-T-S Jets chant. His seats were in the upper deck box in the corner probably where the Mets dugout was. He always wore one of those green Jets helmets with the beer cans in them. I wonder what happened to him and how Ed took over at Giants Stadium and got all the credit.

[​IMG]

16. major33

Yes! That was the game where Leahy missed the game winner and then won it in OT. I do remember that scenario with Leahy but thought it was a different game where he missed the kick. Which is probably true since it was the toughest stadium for a kicker and Leahy was the best at navigating the cold windy night games at Shea. It was easier to kick towards home plate obviously. The other way was a nightmare. But, at the beginning of the season, you had all that infield dirt to kick from. Yikes imagine getting tackled on that??? Nothing was easy at Shea for the players or fans for the matter. But it was fun & the players looked like they played in a football game afterwards with dirty uniforms. Nowadays everyone is sparkling clean because of the turf.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. major33

I was born in 71 so you got me! I feel young now, thanks! But that's cool you got to see all the greatness in the 60s. I'll have to watch that game vs Oakland if I can find it.

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is a summary video. You have to watch it on youtube.

matt robinson 17 and major33 like this.
  19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I've said this before..
    the Super Bowl was the most important game we've ever played,
    but without a doubt, the best, most exciting game the Jets ever played was the 68 AFL Championship game

patleahy likes this.
  20. patleahy

Hard to improve upon the excitement of Joe and Daryl Mad Bomber LaMonica airing it out, EndlesslyCounting.