Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

okay, I can respect that, Legler.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I hear ya and I'm not saying Chase wont be good. I'd say his ceiling is around DK Metcalf, and I would love to have DK on the Jets. But by the end of the season defenses learned how to nutralize Metcalf with a deep safety, forcing him into mid routes, which also hurt Wilson and was part of the Seahawks slide. That kind of thing cannot be done to Smith because he can kill you everywhere on the field, on any route, from X,Y, or Z.

3. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

What QB has Belichek developed not named Brady?

Br4d likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It’s not click bait as he’s had Fields as his top QB for several weeks. The PFF guys asked him for his top 5 in the video below.

26:20

5. legler82

If you are dependent on the HC to develop you, then you are not very good.

#3065 legler82, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    patleahy likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Cassel looked solid in 2008 for someone who hadn't started since HS. Brissett held his own in 2016 when Brady was serving his suspension.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Still, he did play the position in NFL for number of years, even started some, comes from football family. This alone gives him some credentials, and took time to analyze every prospect. And more importantly his record is incredible. I honestly don't know anyone, who picked Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Allen, Murray, Burrow, Herbert to be top guys. I know some good folks on this board, like legler, picked Mahomes and Allen, which is impressive, but still pails in comparison to Simms record. No one is know it all, but you can't just dismiss him as a talking head based on NFL QB credentials, family pedigree, and evaluation record.

REVISion, NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  8. legler82

Jimmy G got paid.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think you can really properly compare someone to Metcalf for a couple of reasons. For one, he's the most physically superior receiver to come into the league since Julio Jones. Secondly, he hasn't really reached his ceiling yet and he was trapped as a one trick pony. Whether that's because he's incapable of doing more or not has yet to be explored IMO.

10. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I mean you could say the same for Josh Mcdaniels. Fields, just as ZW and TL need to be SUPER good to overcome the offensive barriers their teams will have. Whomever ends up in San Fran is getting set up with the best tutoring and ready made, tried and true system money can buy.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am just wondering, why are you so confident? Granted you called Mahomes and Allen, which is great, but still this is not exact science, and this is not exactly a long record. We can all hope that we are correct, but I am just wondering how one can be so confident in such inexact science?

12. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

True, and they win ten games, but then he sucked again. Isn’t developing a QB mean they stay decent?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying, Borat, but I prefer to get my QB analysis from Legler.....I don't find him to be as pretentious as Simms AND I have come to appreciate his GIFS and cheeky sense of humour. :D

legler82 likes this.
  14. legler82

Well I have enough confidence in Fields that I feel he will be a successful QB regardless where he lands. This is how I felt about Mahomes and Allen. If you are already hedging your bets based on where a QB prospect lands, then you might have the wrong prospect.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Great offenses develop great QBs.

On a strong offense a rookie QB has a far better chance of developing successfully. This is something Rodgers, Big Ben, Mahomes, even Brady had going for them year 1. There is no way to coach a QB out of a lack of talent around them - especially on the o-line. How they develop, and their chance of becoming great, strongly depend of having talent around them. This is why its so important to not spend big on a QB until you're ready to give them the best chance to succeed. Patience rewards in the long run.

You want to bring a rookie onto a great offense to have the best chance to succeed. This is the correct way.

You don't want to bring a rookie onto a mediocre offense and expect them to be a savior. That is the 2000s Cleveland Browns. Its unwise and really an amateur mistake.
    Especially if you have a three year plan.

What this says is we shouldn't even be thinking QB this year. But since we are we need to do as much as possible to get the rook help this draft. Picks 23 and 34 have to be help for our rookie.

16. legler82

Talent is talent IMO. The only real variables are the intangibles. Based on what I’ve seen from a far and read Fields seems to have all the intangibles. So I’m very confident in Fields. I try not to over complicate it. I pray JD is as confident in who he picks as I am in Fields.

#3076 legler82, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Snatch Catch likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could definitely be right, and I could be wrong.

I know that their new owner Dave Tepper is very aggressive, however, and he wants a quality starting QB as does Matt Rhule. They could settle on an LT this year like Darrisaw of Va Tech or one of the other top OL. They could also trade back if someone wanted to move up for a QB, but I'd be surprised if that happened. It's not likely that they will be drafting this high again any time soon if this past season was any indication, so I expect that if there's a QB there they like, they could pounce. I think Darnold was just insurance in case none of the QBs they liked dropped to them. Lance and Fields both probably need to sit for a year. In that way playing Sam would give them a better starter than Teddy perhaps (at least in their minds, not mine LOL), and then they could hand the reins to Lance or Fields. If no QB they like is there, they have Sam on a trial basis.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. legler82

[​IMG]

19. NCJetsfan

I agree that Teddy would be a better mentor, but not better in terms of the offensive system they will be running. Lance and Fields are closer to Sam in style of play than Teddy. I imagine that the offense they run with Teddy would be significantly different with Lance or Fields, so that would mean making a change for the whole offense after this season, whereas if they go with Sam, they can make the change now, and then not have to change things up when Lance/Fields takes over, which would make for a smoother transition for the QB.

Sam could just be insurance in case one of the QBs they like don't fall. They didn't really give up that much for Sam, and if he played well this year, they could always tag and trade him and get most, maybe all back that they paid for him or more.

20. NCJetsfan

That could definitely be what they do, but they could also stay put and seriously upgrade their OL or get a stud defender. Trading back isn't always the right or best move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.