Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Interesting. I always enjoy stuff like this.

I think the issue is who Pompei got to talk to him. Sounds like a bunch of 80 year old scouts with their love for Lawrence and their skepticism on Lance.

Lance has been reported to be the favorite of two top 5 team's scouting department for their pick (Atlanta/SF)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I like Waddle better than Chase. Both very good though.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

"Stunningly slow" on Trask. That's an amazing descriptor.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/05/panthers-picking-up-sam-darnolds-fifth-year-option/
    https://clutchpoints.com/panthers-n...-fifth-year-option-following-trade-from-jets/

although I did see this posted 4 days ago

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nfl-draft-admit-excitement-over-qb-prospects/

So who knows? but technically you are correct in that they haven't officially done it

5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm completely on board with building an OL first. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. The Bengals will not have an opportunity to draft someone like Chase, but they sure as hell can find a good OL later in the draft. Heck, they go OL in rounds 2, 3, & 4.

Defenses can not go all out rushing the QB if you have Chase. He can catch short, long, over the middle, outside it makes no difference. He commands double and triple teams. With Joe Burrow just lofting the ball in the air, there is a good chance Chase will catch it. Won't need much time, so building a good OL is good enough. Doesn't have to be the best when you have Burrow and Chase.

I understand your position because it is the logical one for the Bengals. But, Chase is too good to pass up. Plus he has a connection with Burrow.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. major33

I didn't read those links but I think it was just the media assuming they would pick up year 5 since they gave up 3 picks for him. A crazy draft might throw a wrench into those plans. Who knows? Maybe a QB falls to them and the Panthers end up trading Darnold to the Patriots. LOL

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I wonder who Pompei spoke with. If he spoke with a different group of scouts, GMs, personnel people, their responses could have been radically different. Even the ones he spoke with could have lied thinking that this article would come out before the draft and could sway some minds.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're Mike Mac and I claim a free cup of coffee?

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

basically it was reported they were going to by reliable reporters but carolina seems to be keeping their options open as the draft is this week and they don't need to option him until next week.

my best guess is they will take fields if he falls and not option sam. but trade teddy
    if lance falls they take lance but option sam to give lance 2 years to sit and trade teddy
    if neither falls they option sam and keep teddy for now

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

For sure I would not put this as a red flag. Yes, he did not play P5 teams this season, but the fact is, he lost games to good teams before, who are better than some P5 teams. I looked at common opponents from years past to this year: Boise st and SDSU to be exact. Zach faced them before, lost each time, not great completion %, and threw for 0TDs, 2INTs. This year he faced the same teams, and had stellar completion, two easy wins, 6TDs 0INTs. So, yeah I hear that he lost to some teams before, and while he didn't face P5, he still faced good teams he lost to, and performed stellar, just like in all other games really. So, a concern of softer schedule, yes. A red flag, hell no.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was definitely odd. Made me laugh. "He is such an impressive QB, except for when it matters most, where he is terrible. I am sure all of his terribleness can be coached out. Great kid!"

I don't think he was trying to trick Douglas, because that is a done deal, but maybe he was trying to sound like he was giving a fair assessment but instead it kind of made Wilson look bad.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. major33

You may be right, but if I were Carolina and just drafted someone like Fields or even Lance, Teddy would be the best one to keep as a mentor. Because in that scenario you would have to think if Carolina drafts a QB at 8, that's the QB they are going with in 2022. So where does that leave Sam? Why even pick up his option if you draft a QB.

Poor Sam might be out of a job in Carolina on Thursday. After all is said and done, he might be competing with Danny Dimes for the Giants starting QB job. That would be epic competition between 2 stiffs.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I guess that would make a little bit of sense, but I still find it unlikely. Although I do agree with the risk. QB is the #1 position in sports. If you give up the #8 overall pick, a 2nd, 4th, and 6th, and end up with a franchise QB in either Darnold, Lance or Fields, I think every Panthers fan would sign off on that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. major33

Nope. I would have done everything completely opposite of that jackass. Remember, I didn't even like the Sam pick.

This is a new regime, new philosophy & a unique draft. Plus we have a ton of picks too and good with the salary cap.

Mac would have already picked up Sam's 5th year option whereas I would have traded Sam in year 1. Actually, I would never have drafted him so the point is moot.

My original point is that every situation and year is unique. Just because I love Chase over Sewell for Cincy at 5 doesn't mean I would ever take a WR over an OL again. It all depends on the situation, players involved & what you can reasonably expect to get out of the draft after round 1.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You know it was a joke on Mac's philosophy or mantra of OL can be found in the later rounds right? ;)

major33 likes this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If Fields drops to them (or one of the other QB's) they should trade out and recoup some picks. That's what I would do.

17. major33

I think they will only take a tackle at 6 if Chase or Pitts is gone. Since I live in South Florida and hear the chatter, originally it was skill player all the way which is why they traded to 6. They thought Pitts or Chase would definitely be there. Otherwise, they could have stayed at 12 and taken OL. Now that Pitts and Chase may both be gone, tackle might be their best option. They love Waddle so don't be surprised if they take him but they never figured on Sewell being there at 6. Keep in mind they can also take BPA at other positions since they do have the 18th pick and can get an OL there too.

Noam likes this.
  18. major33

I love love love Waddle & think he will be a superstar but they are completely different players. Waddle cannot do the things that Chase does. That's how good I believe Chase is going to be. He is on a whole other level.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Not a chance. Even though I like some of his rankings but there isn’t a GM in the league depending on his rankings for picks

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Simms releases his latest selfie.[​IMG]

K'OB, Rockinz and patleahy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.