Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Legler, point-blank, would u agree that much more was expected of Zach from a mental standpoint, in BYU's more complex offense, than was expected of Fields in OSU's simplified offense?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you say so. I don't agree.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

As an evaluator I care more about the ability and aptitude to do certain things as opposed to the quantity. Without that approach, players that play under certain schemes will have an unfair advantage.

5 years or so ago a players that played primarily in shotgun would get dinged for not taking snaps under center. Something that guys learned in just one week at the Senior Bowl was being used to downgrade players. Silly season.

All the things that Fields supposedly can’t do, I’ve seen him do enough to make me feel comfortable he can do more on a consistent basis with development. On the other hand, I don’t have teach him size, athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, toughness, leadership and valuing the football.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

OSU run A LOT of NFL concepts and It's QB friendly In the same ways our new offensive scheme will be QB friendly.

It was not the same offense with Haskins either. They were different QBs and Day knew that. Day Is probably the first OSU coach to ever truly lean on QB efficiency and play. He adapted his scheme around the QB. It's definitely a lot different between the two.

I'm not sure why you are trying to paint a "QB friendly" offensive scheme as a bad thing? It's not. It's not the same as being QB friendly as In, QB play isn't important. Two different things there.

Fields was a high level passer In college. Fields isn't even remotely In the same grouping as Newton or Jackson coming out of college.

I don't get where that Is even coming from?

legler82 likes this.
  5. legler82

More than Fields but it’s not like he’s like Luck or Peyton coming out. I would expect more responsibility from a 3rd year starter in the same system. It’s not enough for me to move him up my draft board.

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

ok, honest response, I can respect that Legler. Thanks for the honest response.

legler82 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

8. legler82

Same school, skin color, coach but not similar offense. Haskins was dink and donk and let the WRs do the work. Fields is attacking the intermediate and deep part of the field.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

NFL GMs came to consensus. Jets brass came to consensus. That's why you see Zach #2 in pretty much every mock draft and everyone is saying the draft starts at 3. Not media driven - but by the information from the sources from NFL teams. JD spoke about clear top 2 QBs. There is a consensus that Zach is the #2 guy. Vegas has a consensus, where Zach's odds are locked at #2 99%, same as Lawrence as #1.

Where you do have a point though is that after clear cut first two, it is not clear where the rest will land. 49ers are debating Jones/Lance. Some want Fields. The draft really starts at 3. It's good to have top 2 picks if you need a QB.

10. ColoradoContrails

All I know is, I sure hope SAleh and LaFleur make the offense QB-friendly as opposed to the QB-UNfriendly offense Gase used.

11. legler82

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I agree it sounds like Wilson is probably the 2nd guy overall but from what I can tell it’s not that overwhelming. Definitely a strong 2nd though...

Regardless I don’t even know if that’s a good or bad thing, because I don’t think “NFL guys” are any better at evaluating QBs than anyone else.

Mitch Trubisky was taken ahead of Watson and Mahomes and no one said much of anything about it. The NFL insiders pretty much approved, and it was fans that criticized the pick more.

In the Darnold draft, no one really had a clue either. It goes on and on...

13. legler82

14. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Kind of like when Gase was signed.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, no golf or cricket discussion allowed here. ;)

K'OB and ouchy like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Surprising after watching all the previous videos he did. But of course we all know JT O'Sullivan doesn't know what he's talking about.:D

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a general consensus regarding Zack Wilson being a good #2, but have you noticed that most of the consensus is just talking heads agreeing with each other? To this day I can turn on ESPN or the NFL channel and hear 'experts' explaining why Zack is the best, but 10 minutes later different talking heads come on to say Fields is better than Zack, and Fields should be the #2. The national sports Media is very similar to the back and forth we have right here on TGG.

Maybe they all know Zack is the guy but they like picking the other guy just for clicks, or to fill time slots on these shows? Most likely.

Then there's the 49ers......Gonna be Mac Jones!!! Wait, wait a second...could be Justin Fields!!! No, No, it's gonna be Mac. Wait! 9ers seen at Trey's proday! It's gonna be Trey Lance!

Between Zack, Fields, Mac, Lance, I think the consensus is just 'crowd think' where ppl just like to agree with other people.

But to be honest I really don't feel like I have seen any legit consensus on any of these guys.

All Gas No Shake and ouchy like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, that's the point I am trying to make: the consensus is not among the media, like it was with Sam. It is among the NFL teams and football people. From GM surveys, to other info from NFL sources, and mock drafts, to Vegas odds. Steve Young gave first hand info from two teams with #3 and #2 picks. Ignore the talking heads. JD himself said they have a consensus on top 2 and didn't want to trade Sam until they saw (Zach) throw in person. The draft starts at #3.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Who do you think was behind the Marino cocaine stuff?

Shula

legler82 and patleahy like this.
  20. patleahy

Foge Fazio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.