Bold predictions: JD wheels and deals

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tanny got in trouble because he thought he and Bradway were smarter than the average NFL GM and Player Personnel Director. That's what you think when you are trading up to catch players that everybody else missed. What gets lost in the process is the fact that collectively the NFL is definitely smarter than any individual and NFL draft picks have a million different ways to fail. In that reality just keep making picks and if you're really that smart you'll bank a good number of them and win a lot.

Bill Belichik has been a fairly mediocre drafter but until recently he made 2+ extra picks every year and that adds up over time into a roster that nobody else can beat consistently.

Sec124DieHard, Brook! and REVISion like this.
  2. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Ryans cap number is like 46 million this yr

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There are situations where trading up make sense. The Ravens moved up for Jackson. The Chiefs did so to get Mahomes. Helps that both are well run franchises.

Brook!, Red Menace, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Until recently Beli had the goat qb. Let’s not pretend that wasn’t the difference and it was really a few extra mid round picks .

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm firmly against trading up especially for an interior lineman unless it's Slater. Jenkins, Vera-Tucker, etc. Are there really gonna be three offensive guards gone by 23? That'd have to be a record. Seems reckless to move up for one.

REVISion likes this.
  6. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Unless JD pulls off a major trade on draft day for the number 2 pick, still gets one of the qbs. which he could in the top 10. I think he did a bad job managing the 2 nd pick everyone says the draft begins at 3. Imagine if we take Pitts at 2 . It could allow us to still get a good qb with our 2nd 1st

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Listen to this:

I'll be curious to hear your reaction.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Just to clarify, I meant Dyami Brown not Amon Ra St. Brown. Not sure if that changes your opinion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

When I first put these points down, I immediately thought, NC won’t like number one for sure. In any event, all I hope for is we can really add great players that make an immediate difference and hopefully make our new investment successful. Cant wait.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Br4d

It definitely helps to have a very strong talent department and also really good decision-makers making the final calls.

It's still a breach of optimum strategy to give more assets for fewer assets on the grounds that you are smart enough to predict the outcome. An organization like the Ravens is probably 50/50 to get this kind of move right. I think Andy Reid was probably better than 50/50 to get Mahomes right. He's just got a huge amount of experience dealing with young QB's at this point.

11. Br4d

From 2001 to 2004, which was the era the Patriots established dominance in the AFC East, they had 34 draft picks to build with. The Jets over that span had 27. That's basically a full extra draft worth of picks the Patriots got to work with including an extra 1st rounder.

Now, it's not a lock cinch by any means that the Patriots wind up as the team on top over the next decade based on that kind of split in draft value, however it definitely gave them a leg up on the Jets.

Not including 2000, because the Jets new owners and management team were not running the team, makes a little bit of difference, primarily in the 1st round - since the Pats had 10 picks that year also. However it was when that 10 round draft started to get injured that the Jets chances took a real hit. Then when it aged out also the competition was done.

Note that JAbe can count in the 10 pick 2000 draft or the 10 pick 2006 draft since he was the extra 1st in 2006 due to the trade. Note also that the Pats had 10 picks again in 2006 as well.

12. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

He’s been a top TE from the first season he played
    2014 862 YDS
    2015 875 YDS
    2016 1120 YDS
    2017 1045 YDS
    2018 1336 YDS
    2019 1229 YDS
    2020 1416 YDS
    You’re heart knows the best way to make your QB look good is to give him time in the pocket.
    Becton-Clark/McGovern-Humphrey-Jenkins-Fant could be a formidable OL for years.

#72 ZachMFWilson, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  13. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification. I do like Dyami Brown better than Amon Ra St. Brown, but not enough to take him that high. He's basically just a deep threat and ran a very simple route tree at UNC. He also has somewhat shaky hands.

14. NCJetsfan

LOL You have my number! That's the same thing Mac after drafting Sam (taking a defensive player with his next pick), and we all know how that worked out. IMO that would be a BIG mistake, and is no way to build around his rookie QB, especially since he likely will be starting day one. I truly would lose a LOT of trust and faith in JD's plan, his ability, and knowledge of roster building if he did that.

ouchy likes this.
  15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

My wishlist:
    Zach Wilson QB, Teven Jenkins G/OT, Creed Humphrey C, Kenneth Gainwell RB/WR (remember this guy, he will become a star), Brady Christensen G/OT, Tommy Tremble TE, Simi Fehoko WR, Keith Taylor CB/S

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Have we not just signed two edge in free agency that will deliver our QB pressure with the bonus of also freeing up Q to cause even more damage?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Who Lawson and Davis?
    Lawson had 10.5 sacks last 2 years.
    Davis had 2.5
    Jenkins had 10.

Lawson 3 years $45 mil $30 Guaranteed.
    Davis One Year $5.5 mil ($7 mil w/incentives)
    Jenkins 2 Years $6 mil $1mil Guaranteed.

My point is, idk what you think is going to happen here, as the JETS were towards the top half in pressures already mostly because of Jenkins and crew.

Bellys Lies and Brook! like this.
  18. K'OB

Lawson, Curry, Davis.

My POINT to the other poster was, do you really think he is going to go 1st round on DE/edge after signing some in FA, it doesn't matter a toss if you think they are shit, JD obviously thinks different.

What I think will happen was irrelevant to the reply I gave as it was based on his already made signings in FA but I will answer it for you anyway...

With us already being up high in pressures I am hoping Lawson will find the gaps to take his sack numbers up higher or like I said previously, more dangerous people on the line will also open the gaps up for Q to cause damage.

If you want to think differently that is your call, the season starts soon and you better hope I am right or you will be in for another long hard season of misery, not that it looks like you have far to fall atm.

Royal Tee, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We’ll draft 3 offensive linemen. 2 will compete for a starting positions right away and one will be a late round project

We will not make a Doug Jolley trade.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. K'OB

Not to be overly funny or anything but the guy said he blossomed the last few years, he never said he was shit and then got good.

From 1st season to last season he has nearly doubled his output and in the last 3 seasons has added that extra yardage to take him from good/very good to excellent.

The very essence of blossoming ;)

NCJetsfan and Rockinz like this.