Predict the two first round picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFan20, Apr 23, 2021.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No. He wasn't that good In 2019 either, but, I don't think he was credited with a sack that year. So, that Is impressive at least. His weaknesses have always been there though, even before the Injury VS Indiana In 2020. I'm sure the injury didn't help overall either. I think his strength Is his strength. I think he has traits you can work with, he Is a project to me though.

I'm also not overly confident on my OL knowledge. I essentially know the basics at the end of the day, maybe a bit more than that. Still. For what It's worth.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

I probably like Trask a little bit more than is justified, but I just get a very strong Drew Brees-vibe when I look at his touch and accuracy. And I really dont get why it would be an absolute given that a immobile pocket passer can’t succeed in the NFL when you look at who just quarterbacked for yet another Superbowl victory.

I think Trask will be a steal, because a lot of people look past his performance in College and convince themselves that his lack of athletism is a dealbreaker, just as people looked past Russell Wilsons performance in College and convinced themselves that his lack of height was a dealbreaker.

jilozzo and Br4d like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I like Trask too.

I'd much rather the Jets get Trask on the #34 than anybody not named Lawrence on the #2.

4. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Same here dont think any these QBs are top 2 Trask is highly underrated I wanted to trade out of #2 and draft Mac Jones or Trask not big fan of Zach Wilson hope I'm wrong but I don't think he will be able deal with the NFL competition him beaten up on scrub college teams doesn't impress me think Zach Willson is overhyped.

ouchy and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  5. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

2: Zach Wilson
    23: Teven Jenkins is he's there. If not, Kadarius Toney.

Douglas likes to draft to replace players 1 year before they are gone. He also prefers to draft to fit the coaches' system rather than drafting overall talent. Toney is the gadget guy that would thrive in LaFleur's system and would replace Crowder in a year. Douglas loves speed and Toney's got plenty. If we get Jenkins, he would play guard and eventually take over for Fant. He would also be an insurance policy for Becton who has missed a bit too many snaps due to injury last year.

I could also see us trading up for Slater if he falls to the teens.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

2. Zach Wilson
    23. Jaelen Phillips

7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Wilson
    Creed

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

this is exactly who i had in mind when i posted somewhere that there will be a QB not named lawrence as the gem of this group.

though, i will be shocked if we choose him at all.

9. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

2) wilson (even though this pick makes my asshole twitch....he feels like a bust)
    23) Best OL (preferably tackle) available
    2nd round - Trey Sermon
    3rd - WR
    3rd - WR

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Put me down for:

2 Zach Wilson
    23 Teven Jenkins

11. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

The only reason why Trask was able to get away with his lack of athleticism and questionable throws is that he had an all-star cast to throw the ball too. Pitts alone bailed him out many times. With all the speed on Florida's offense, he could afford to sit in the pocket with his big frame and wait for one of those burners to get wide open.

His accuracy is questionable. Gives me Sam Darnold vibes. Yes, he's an unathletic version of Sam Darnold with a mediocre arm. Pitts alone would have made Darnold look like a superstar in college.

He can't run. He can't make accurate throws on the run & he's a sitting duck in the pocket against good NFL defenses. Seems like a QB very easy to defend unless surrounded by an all-star cast as he had in college. Not a recipe for success for this Jets team.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  12. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

Maybe you’re right. I’m definitely no expert. I do prefer quarterback-prospects who had great receivers but bad running games and defenses rather than the opposite (which is why I prefer Trask over Jones). Trask had to win almost every game with his arm, because the other team kept scoring and Florida really couldn’t (or didn’t) run the ball. And yes he had great recievers but I think it’s a stretch to say that they always were open. Most of his highlight reel is accurate touch throws in tight windows. I think that translate well to the NFL. But we’ll see :)

ouchy likes this.
  13. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

#2- Wilson QB

#23- Toney WR

#34-Eichenberg RT

#66- Wade CB

14. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Spot on assessment of Trask, Major33. :);)

major33 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wilson we all know

at 23 and knowing JD i think he'll go o-line

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/04/26/which-iol-prospects-are-the-best-fits-for-the-new-york-jets/

Which IOL prospects are the best fits for the New York Jets?
    By
    Michael Nania
    -
    04/26/2021

Using Mike LaFleur’s previous teams as a guide for what he may be looking for, here are the 2021 NFL draft IOL prospects who best fit the New York Jets.

It’s tough to know exactly how the New York Jets offense is going to look until we actually see it take the field. We as a football-watching community always like to assume that coaches are going to create a carbon copy of the offensive or defensive scheme employed by the team they just coached for, but that’s usually not the case, at least not to an extreme degree. While coaches definitely draw a heavy amount of inspiration from their background in most cases, they usually put their own personal touch on things to create something that’s reminiscent, but new – a spin-off version, if you will.

So, we have no idea what Mike LaFleur‘s Jets offense is going to look like. It could be extremely similar to the Kyle Shanahan-led 49ers unit that he was a part of for the past four years. It could look like a healthy blend of the 49ers’ style and that of Mike’s brother Matt in Green Bay. Maybe he draws from his days with Shanahan in Atlanta. Or, perhaps he ditches the philosophies of all of those teams and starts from scratch with his own vision.

Only time will tell us exactly what LaFleur is going to do, but until we know for sure, the best thing we can do to gauge what he might be looking for is to analyze the preferences of the teams he has coached for.

The interior offensive line is a prime need for the Jets after their interior trio allowed the worst pressure rate in football last season. There’s no doubt that the team will be looking closely at guards, centers, and potential tackle-to-guard converts early in the draft.

Let’s try and figure out what the Jets’ ideal offensive lineman might look like by analyzing the starting guards employed by LaFleur’s teams throughout his tenures with the Falcons (2015-16) and 49ers (2017-20).

The Falcons and 49ers combined for six different opening-week starting guards during LaFleur’s tenures with them. Each of those players was acquired by their respective teams during LaFleur’s stint alongside Kyle Shanahan, so we know that they were brought in with scheme compatibility in mind.

Here is the tale of the tape for those six guards, including some key measurables and the percentage of their run blocking snaps in which they ran a zone concept in the season prior to joining LaFleur’s team:

[​IMG]

It’s pretty clear what these two teams wanted from their guards while LaFleur and Shanahan were around. They placed a higher premium on athleticism while devaluing size and strength.

A few common traits stand out to support this notion. Weight is one of them, as most of the Falcons and 49ers’ guards carried a smaller frame. The all-time 50th-percentile weight number for interior offensive linemen measured at the Combine is approximately 309 pounds. Five of the six players above were lighter than that.

Atlanta and San Francisco also did not seem to care much about raw strength. None of the six guards posted an exceptional number in the bench press, with Chris Chester’s 27 reps (66th percentile among OL) being the best of the bunch. Daniel Brunskill and Mike Person fared very poorly in the drill but still combined for 53 starts with the 49ers.

Perhaps the most notable thing that pops out on the chart is the obvious value placed on explosiveness. All six players posted above-average marks in both the vertical jump and the broad jump, suggesting that the two teams saw it as extremely important to have guards who can get off the ball quickly and have good movement skills.

Interestingly, it did not seem to matter whether or not the player came from a zone-based scheme. There was no consistency among the six players in this area. Andy Levitre and Mike Person came from zone-heavy schemes, but Brandon Fusco and Daniel Brunskill came from man/gap-heavy schemes. Chris Chester and Laken Tomlinson were in the middle. The player’s traits and skill-set seemed to be more important than their experience – the two teams clearly trusted they could integrate players from a different scheme if those players had the desired makeup.

So, based on what we know about the six players above, here is what the prototype Jets guard might look like:

• Slightly below-average frame (under 310 pounds)
    • Great 40-yard dash and 20-yard shuttle times not necessary, but preferred
    • Good numbers in both the vertical and broad jump (28+ for vertical, 103+ for broad)
    • Not important: arm length, height, bench press/overall strength, and zone experience
    Which prospects in the 2021 draft class could fit the bill? Here are a few who would seem to perfectly match the casting call for a guard in LaFleur’s offense:

Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
    All measurables in this article are via pro day reports.

• Height: 6’4
    • Weight: 302
    • Arm length: 32.5 inches (18th percentile among all OL in the Combine era, using Combine and pro day data from 2000-21)
    • 40-yard dash: 5.11 seconds (81st)
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.49 seconds (91st)
    • Bench press: 29 reps (77th)
    • Vertical jump: 33 inches (93rd)
    • Broad jump: 112 inches (92nd)
    • Zone run percentage: 44.7%
    As a center from a power-running Oklahoma offense, Creed Humphrey would have quite a transition to make if he were to play guard in a wide zone scheme, but his physical profile is a perfect match for what the Jets are looking for on the interior if LaFleur’s wishlist at the position is the same as the Falcons’ and 49ers’ during his tenures with those teams. The Jets could leave Humphrey at center and move Connor McGovern over to guard, but based on their lack of interest in any free agent centers, it doesn’t seem they have any plans to move McGovern.

Alijah Vera-Tucker, LT, USC

• Height: 6’4
    • Weight: 308
    • Arm length: 32.125 inches (9th percentile)
    • 40-yard dash: 5.13 seconds (78th)
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.63 seconds (71st)
    • Bench press: 32 reps (89th)
    • Vertical jump: 32 inches (89th)
    • Broad jump: 106 inches (72nd)
    • Zone run percentage: 55.9%
    Alijah Vera-Tucker handled left tackle for the Trojans in 2020, but he played his best football at left guard in 2019.

Teven Jenkins, RT, Oklahoma St.

• Height: 6’5
    • Weight: 317
    • Arm length: 33.5 inches (47th percentile)
    • 40-yard dash: 5.01 seconds (92nd)
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.68 seconds (60th)
    • Bench press: 36 reps (96th)
    • Vertical jump: 32.5 inches (91st)
    • Broad jump: 106 inches (72nd)
    • Zone run percentage: 69.7%
    Teven Jenkins played a little bit of guard (both sides) as a redshirt freshman in 2017, but he made his name at tackle over the next three seasons, playing mostly on the right side but also logging quite a few snaps on the left side.

Jenkins is more than capable of thriving at tackle, but he projects well to playing guard in a zone scheme as well. His arm length is a bit less than desired for a starting tackle, while his experience in a zone-heavy offense and his tremendous athleticism would aid him greatly in the transition.

Quinn Meinerz, C, Wisconsin-Whitewater

• Height: 6’2
    • Weight: 320
    • Arm length: 33.375 inches (42nd percentile)
    • 40-yard dash: 4.99 seconds (93rd)
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.58 seconds (78th)
    • Bench press: 36 reps (96th)
    • Vertical jump: 32 inches (89th)
    • Broad jump: 111 inches (89th)
    • Zone run percentage: 44.4%
    Coming from Division-III powerhouse Wisconsin-Whitewater, Quinn Meinerz is an athletic freak. At 320 pounds, he is a bit larger than what the Jets may be looking for, but he maintains incredible athletic ability at that size.

major33 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kendrick Green, LG/C, Illinois
    • Height: 6’1
    • Weight: 305
    • Arm length: 32.25 inches (10th percentile)
    • 40-yard dash: 4.89 seconds (99th)
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.67 seconds (67th)
    • Bench press: 25 reps (47th)
    • Vertical jump: 35.5 inches (98th)
    • Broad jump: 119 inches (99th)
    • Zone run percentage: 65.4%
    Widely considered a fourth-round prospect, Kendrick Green checks a lot of boxes for the Jets. Ideally sized at 305 pounds (although a bit short at 6-foot-1) and posting out-of-this-world numbers in the vertical jump, broad jump, and forty-yard dash, he is a moldable piece of clay that any offensive line coach would love to get his hands on. Green already has plenty of experience in a wide zone offense and could find a lot of success in the NFL if he finds a team that runs a similar scheme. He dominated in 2020, earning the second-best run blocking grade at PFF among qualified Power-5 guards (88.6).

Green mostly played left guard for the Fighting Illini, but he logged over 300 snaps at center as well.

Brenden Jaimes, LT, Nebraska

• Height: 6’5
    • Weight: 298
    • Arm length: 32.625 inches (20th percentile)
    • 40-yard dash: Did not run
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.50 seconds (90th)
    • Bench press: 25 reps (51st)
    • Vertical jump: 30.5 inches (79th)
    • Broad jump: 112 inches (92nd)
    • Zone run percentage: 49.2%
    Brenden Jaimes never played a snap of guard at Nebraska, playing right tackle in his first season and left tackle in his next three, but his profile matches up well with that of a prototype zone-blocking guard, and his arms are much shorter than the required threshold for an NFL starter at tackle.

Jimmy Morrissey, C, Pittsburgh

• Height: 6’3
    • Weight: 303
    • Arm length: 32.75 inches (22nd percentile)
    • 40-yard dash: 5.31 (40th percentile)
    • 20-yard shuttle: 4.47 seconds (92nd)
    • Bench press: 26 reps (58th)
    • Vertical jump: 31 inches (83rd)
    • Broad jump: 105 inches (66th)
    • Zone run percentage: 46.8%
    Jimmy Morrissey walked on at Pittsburgh and ending up as the Panthers’ starting center for four years, also making one start at right guard.

Here’s a comparison between the LaFleur/Shanahan starting guards and the seven prospects listed above.

[​IMG]

Who do you want to see the Jets target on the interior offensive line?

joelip, NoodleArm and RochesterJet like this.
  18. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Wilson at 2
    A trade up for Vera-Tucker.

19. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Maybe? Just maybe I'm right? Of course I'm right. ha ha

Anyway, you were watching his highlight tape put together to make him look better than he is. Watch his lowlight tape where he misses wide-open receivers, makes poor decisions, hesitates on reads, can't scramble, can't accurately pass once he gets out of the pocket. He would be awful if he didn't have Pitts and Toney making him look good.

I live in Florida and watch the SEC every weekend. I don't really see any positives in his game. Certainly not enough to trade away Zach Wilson for him. When you compare Trask to Darnold, Sam is better and I hated him coming out of college. We might as well have kept Sam. At least he has an arm and can somewhat throw accurately on the run every now and then. Trask? Where are the positives? His ceiling is like 25th best NFL starting QB.

20. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Penny I just hope Jenkins lasts that long, but I agree. I also really enjoyed your Jets mock draft covering all of the picks in every single round on youtube! just fyi!

PennyandtheJets likes this.