Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Now I know you not only drank the Kool-aid but bought majority stock.

It’s hard to play hero ball without a threat but somehow Zachary manages to do it.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm sold that he'll be good, I just think Wilson will be better.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good series of posts! With regards to the bold, don't forget his drafting defensive players immediately after taking Darnold, never taking an OL earlier than the 5th round (I think) and missed on every WR he took.

4. NCJetsfan

I hope that you're wrong.

5. NCJetsfan

Initially, I wanted a QB who could run like Josh Allen. That's why I liked Fields so much intially, but when I saw the difference in Wilson's processing and playmaking ability throwing the ball, I switched. I think Fields could develop into a very good QB, maybe great, but I believe that Wilson will be great. I agree that we probably won't know completely for a season or two about Wilson, but I think we'll see enough quality play and flashes to get excited and be very happy and hopeful.

Borat and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I totally disagree with your take on this that only the GM and leadership are responsible. The players have a responsibility to themselves, to their teammates, and to the team to work hard and fix their flaws. Darnold may have worked hard in some ways, but he never fixed his flaws. Either he's incapable of fixing them, or he didn't work smart, or work hard enough on the things he needed to. Darnold has a huge amount of responsibility. So does Mac, since he's the one that drafted him.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think you get what I'm saying. It's cool.

What games did you see hero ball In with Fields? I seen It In the Indiana game. I seen It In the Alabama game. I don't recall seeing It aside from those two games. I'm not sure what stat you are referring to either.

Also.. I think It is safe to say, by default, I don't think you would see Zach Wilson play hero ball as much last season as he did In 18' and 19'. Considering how awful the competition truly was on that BYU schedule. Against the 6-3 UCF, most of his production came from couple trick plays, and an open flat route, or blown coverage. He looked extremely sloppy after the first half. He was constantly throwing too low or behind his targets. He struggled under pressure, when there was actually pressure generated. Which wasn't often at all In 2020 due to how good BYU's OL actually was In comparison to who they played. His best throw In that game was an accident In where he threw the ball away due to pressure and the ball landed In a trash can on the side lines. Bravo.

Hero ball still happened though in 2020. He had his moments against Coastal, Texas-San Antonio, and Western Kentucky... I'm sure It was In other games but I can't recall specifically from my memory alone. I will probably re-watch those games again this week, so It'll refresh my memory.

I do say Wilson holds the ball too long because he definitely does.

There Is also a difference between how long you hold the ball In the pocket, and, how long you hold on to the ball relative to a route breaking open. As In, when the ball should be out VS how long you allow the play to develop. Many times I watched Zach Wilson fail to process a route or coverage, see It at the last second, then zoom It In late AF.

That wont work In the NFL.

8. NCJetsfan

It makes sense that fans blame the team. Players don't pick the team, teams pick the players. If the player busts, then the bottom line is that the GM probably made a bad choice. Now a player can bust for different reasons. If he doesn't work hard to fix his flaws and get in top shape, that's on him. If the team misjudged his talent, his character, love for the game, mental makeup, etc., that's on the GM and scouting/personnel depts. If the team doesn't surround him with talent and a strong OL then that's on the GM and Scouting dept. If the CS doesn't tailor the system to fit what the QB does well rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole and doesn't put him in the best position to succeed, that's on the CS or on the GM & Scouting Dept., or the owner for hiring that GM or HC. As you can see, in most scenarios, when a player fails, it IS on the team, not the player. Most players work hard, and try to do their best.

LAJet likes this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Neither am I. I have been saying that for a long time. My old man and I have had numerous conversations about this. We both think Wilson may have the better career when all is said and done

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The only hero ball moment I recall, and It wasn't even really "hero ball", just a bad decision. Was the 2nd INT. He was going to Garret Wilson, thinking he would cut In to help him along the sideline. Instead. Garret Wilson cut up the field, which resulted In an easy INT. The first INT by Brandon Joseph was just insane coverage, a fluke really, and that ball was where It needed to be for It to be caught. I believe It was also intended to go to, Garret Wilson.

With those plays aside. It's actually funny because Northwestern deliberately took on plays that Indiana ran against OSU, that were successful against OSU. Fields learned from It though, even with a lot of the blitz packages that NW used, a lot of them came from that Indiana game as well. Day and Fields both adapted.

OSU had flaws In their game, especially at OL last year. That was exposed again In that game. The stunts, safety blitz, slot corner blitz, a lot of man-zone concepts were used, a lot of disguises.

People don't see those things, realize those things. Fields had a couple bad plays In that game. His stat-line should've been much better as well, there was a lot of dropped passes to go along with It.

I agree though. That Indiana game was far worse, they hit Fields with things he had never seen before, they got to him. He learned though. That NW game to me showed how much he did learn from that Indiana game.

...also because I don't like making excuses, I will say though, OSU was without a lot of their guys on offense In that game. Just for clarity sake I guess for those that don't realize that either.

oh, oh, oh... Justin Fields was also playing with a hurt thumb on his throwing hand as well. Food for thought for those that may not know this either. Idk.

#2530 IIMeanDeanII, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    legler82 likes this.
  11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Curious as to what makes you not sold on Lawrence and what makes you think Wilson will be better.

You're not the only one, but I always want to hear why.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree CC

JohnnyJet1222 and patleahy like this.
  13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Me too.

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

My opinion too Falco

Falco21, NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Do you disagree that if Wilson turns out to be just average then the pick was wasted? Or would you still think it was worth it?

17. NCJetsfan

18. legler82

What hero ball did you see against Alabama?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. legler82

#2539 legler82, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah the bold just isn't true. The whole Fields holds onto the ball too long thing started primarily against Indiana when he held the ball and tried to escape pressure/shed tacklers and still throw the ball down field.

His eyes are constantly down the field and honestly with his straight line athleticism and tackle breaking ability (if he uses it), he should run more.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.