Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You should look forward to more important things that make a difference. I rallied behind Darnold after not being his biggest fan pre-draft. It doesn’t amount to anything.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, Cowherd now is on the exactly the opposite end of the spectrum trashing Zach. And very few in the media actually have Zach as #2, they are mocking him there because of what they hear from football sources in NFL, not because they like him so much, like they did Sam. You need to start seriously considering the possibility Zach won't bust like Sam.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Exactly right about Darnold, but he popped in the Rose Bowl against Penn St. and that was his peak. His footwork was always bad, and led to missed throws. He isn't a natural thrower and just never looked good throwing. That wouldn't matter if he didn't make all the mistakes he made, but it probably led to a lot of them.

Is Wilson better already? Maybe or maybe not. But the benefit of the salary reset plus the potential is enough for me to want him or Fields.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's we do as Jets fans, rally around folks, most of whom fail, hoping this time it will be different. One day it will be. Really hoping it will be Thursday.

Jets-N-Terps and REVISion like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach is going to have to prove a lot of people wrong, no doubt about it. But yes, once we draft him, I would prefer people to hold off shitting on the guy until and if he actually busts.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and Noam like this.
  6. legler82

He has to prove a lot of people right. Wilson has a lot more supporters than doubters who are the perceived blind minority.

ouchy likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Most media didn't have him as their #2, and they have the loudest voices. He will have to prove a lot lot of loud mouths wrong.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cowherd is on the opposite end because of Darnold. Zach is getting drafted by the Jets, hence he will be a bust, that fits the narrative that Cowherd wasn't wrong about Darnold.

I'm completely open to the possibility that the Jets could draft a QB that simply works out for a decade or so, much less becomes an elite passer. I'm not however open to acting like it's happening already.

I'm not exactly sure what the Wilson supporters want from the people that aren't completely sold on him being the answer to a 50 year old question. I think he has some intriguing tools but we're not going to know if he has it between his ears for a season or two. I think it's pretty much a done deal that the Jets are drafting him, but it's annoying to know that they might not be considering all options. How much longer do we get carved up by hybrid QBs before we realize that's an effective weapon?

9. legler82

That was well before the hype train starting chugging along. It’s too late to paint him as the underdog. That ship has sailed.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just this morning we had somebody declare that Wilson will be a bust, do you think people are going to hold off judgment if he has a rough training camp or God forbid, a bad preseason?

REVISion likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Of course. 100% correct. Therein the only people with the responsibility and the obligation to build this team into a winner are the GM and the leadership. They are the only people accountable, period. Fans and Media can be wrong all day long but it doesn’t mean two shits to the final product. So if the point of the earlier thread is for the fans and the media to admit their were wrong about their specific choices and that they shouldn’t blame anyone but themselves it never happens in my book. Fans have opinions, mostly based on the eye test, but they are meaningless to the success of the team. The only people that need to get it right are those that will be blamed and get fired if they fail. The leadership.

#2471 LAJet, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  12. legler82

If you are confident in your guy it shouldn’t matter what others think. Everyone has “haters” (air quotes). If they don’t, they ain’t doing it right.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I must admit I misinterpreted your thread the first time I read it. But upon re-reading it carefully, I couldn’t agree more. The media be it an ex NFL great, a draft guru or general walkie talkie fires for effect but at the end of the day will reverse itself and point the blame at the leadership. Thus media and fan opinions are just that, while the responsibility and blame resides squarely in the hand of the leadership, the only ones where getting it right matters.

14. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I see what your saying but for instance, I would not rush Zach Wilson out Day 1 to the NFL, or at least not throwing legit competition that isn't Brian Hoyer(Or whoever they sign) or James Morgan. I would have wanted a more proven backup QB brought in here to test him, not a fan of just giving Wilson the keys to the car off the bat. The past 3 Jet rookie Qbs all shared one thing and it was starting Day 1 out the gates in "competition" that were slanted toward the rookie succeeding. That would be on the organization over the QB if he's being thrown in with next to no competition. At least the Jags brought in Beathard and have Minshew already in place to at least resemble some form of a challenge on Lawrence to face.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Whoever Jeff Legwold is has his QB's ranked (out of the Top 100 prospects) like this:
    1. Lawrence
    9. Lance
    11. Fields
    24. Wilson
    33. Jones
    90. Mond
    99. Trask

Now no one cares what he says, but it did make me ask myself a question: What if this was (it's not) the general consensus and the Jets just like Wilson that much? It's not like he is ranked #240. He is ranked #24 on this list. I've said it before, the Jets should draft who they like best and who fits best. To them, that is Zach Wilson.

I guess if this was a general consensus Joe Douglas could explore trading down and still picking Wilson. Risky though. Obviously in real life if they traded down, the team trading up would be for Wilson, and if not, the 49ers would take him at #3.

legler82 likes this.
  16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

These type of rankings drive me crazy, how do you slot guys of all different positions and who may fit different schemes on a jumbled board and present that. Some teams will take Horn over Surtain due to scheme for example. The QB rankings are fair game but why is Wilson 24 or why is Mac Jones 33 or why is Lance 9 on this big board?

17. legler82

I agree. They should draft who they like and most comfortable with regardless of the outside noise. It’s their jobs on the line. Best to be fired based on your own mistakes and not those of others. That said, I, as a fan, don’t have to like or agree with it.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

On an unrelated note, I get the sense Cimini subconsciously wishes the Jets would continue to fail, he seems to enjoy reveling in the Jets demise, and his questions are always pointed towards the negative. I’m curious if he has taken any kind of a stand about what the Jets should do with the second pick, or is he just seating on the sidelines pointing to a bad move after the fact.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. legler82

I can see why someone could have Lance ranked so high. Lance has really only 2 big negatives from my perspective. Inexperience which is not his fault and accuracy. His not inaccurate but he’s the least accurate of the top group.

20. legler82

Cimini seems to not like Wilson.

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.