Would you do this?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Apr 23, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I saw a mock on the NFL Network that had Devonte Smith going 17th.

Just for fun my question is, would you trade our 3rd rounder to move up from 23 to 16 to take him? It would mean no o-line at 23 or 66.

James Hasty likes this.
  2. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Aren’t you the same guy who wanted him at 2?

And: No

AJW, vegaskarl, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yes. If Slater or Smith fall. We need to go after them.

ouchy likes this.
  4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

No.

ouchy likes this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes I would 100%

ouchy likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No

ouchy likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would. I think our WR corps would put him in a good spot to succeed early. I think with his frame, his best spot starting out would be the slot. With Mims and Davis, he would never have to see reps on the outside where he’s more likely to see press.

Do we make the trade? I doubt it. I think it’s more likely we’d pull a trade like this off for an OL that slips (Slater, Darrisaw, Jenkins, etc.) instead of a WR.

ouchy likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Press coverage has never succeeded against Smith in college. In the pros, who knows? TBH I think only the top corners will be able to stay with him for more then one cut.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't want to trade up with one of the worst rosters in the NFL. It just makes no sense. We need lots of picks so that a few will become really good players and if we're lucky we hit a couple of great ones over the next couple of drafts.

The path to Devonta Smith is that the NFL collectively decides that a 170lber can't possibly be a great player and we get him on the #23. That would be a dream scenario.

The other way we might get him is if the Broncos make the move up to #2.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree that at this point in our rebuild you don't trade picks for players. But if Smith is the next Rice, its worth consideration.

11. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

If AVT is still there at 17 I believe JD would try to move up for him. Devonte Smith NO.

ouchy likes this.
  12. Br4d

The Jets had three winning seasons, two of them at 9-7, with Darrelle Revis.

It really is not worth trading up in the draft. The NFL is about 22+ players on the field.

In the NBA where just 7 or 8 players win championships for you it is another question but in the NFL the great guy at one position will not save you when an injury run zero's out another position.

ouchy likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

From what my eyes tell me Devonte Smith is the most polished WR prospect coming out no doubt in my mind. Chase is going to be really good too that’s not a knock on him but Smith in my opinion is the better prospect. I get he’s only 165 lbs and usually it’s tough for guys like that to stay healthy as we saw with Devin Smith BUT this guy is special and when your special and have the drive to be the best. Watch out!

REVISion and ouchy like this.
  14. FJF

15. Br4d

Marvin Harrison was listed at 179 lbs (and 6' tall) at Syracuse but like all college stats his credentials were burnished a little bit by the athletic department. He actually played at about 172 his Senior season. He was a shade under 6' tall.

His reps were really good and they put him on a high protein diet with lots of calories in the diet and made sure he hit the weight room every few days and he gained about 8 or 9 lbs before the combine. Voila! Just as the news that he was not quite 6 feet broke the scales read 181 lbs.

He wound up picked in the middle of the 1st round and the rest is history.

The point is that with a lot of protein in his diet and a weekly trip to the weight room Smith would probably hit 175 easily and a strong 175 at that.

He's the most likely player in this draft to have a smooth 15 year path to the Hall of Fame.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Even though he played in the SEC, it’s still a totally different world going up against SEC CB’s and NFL CB’s but I get your point. I’m just pointing out that I think due to his stature, starting out in the slot would probably be the best for him but he may prove me wrong.

Br4d and ouchy like this.
  17. Br4d

He's going to play all over the place on the line of scrimmage. I think slot is probably the best starter place because he will be going up against small, quicker guys there and he knows how to handle that.

All WR's have a real learning curve the first year or two. It's one of the few positions in the NFL where it really is one on one most of the time and NFL DB's are a lot better than anything a college WR has ever faced.

That said, Smith has been able to get wide open with ease and the odds are the adjustments required of him will be less than the average bear, particularly in a WR friendly offense like the WCO.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think lighter WR are where the game is going. Smith may be light but that also has advantages. He can change directions easier then heavier guys and can stop on a dime faster then heavier guys. Receivers are so protected now days that going light will be part of the future. Or at least having one on quick light wideout on your team.

Br4d likes this.
  19. FJF

The system were implementing stresses blocking on the perimeter, Smith will be a speed bump in the running game. Horrible fit here. Couple that with the fear that he is going to get eaten up in press coverage, I’m not gambling a premium pick on him. And definitely not multiple picks

20. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

While I do have a little concern about Smith's size (no pun intended), this is a no-doubt top 6 non-QB in this draft and I would trade 23/66 for him.

ouchy likes this.