Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

baal Fields did throw a lot LESS INTs in college than Watson did though, didn't he? in all fairness to Fields...

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I agree Fields needs to work on his drops as well but maybe that could be a timing thing as a lot of OSU schemes feature intermediate option routes that need time to develop down the field.

patleahy likes this.
  3. patleahy

AND more accurate/effective throws, Rockinz, ESP if a qb has a small/tight, AND rapidly closing window through which to hit a receiver, which is quite common in the NFL especially with CBs who have closing speed even after they might be beat by a step or two.

Rockinz likes this.
  4. Rockinz

Jimmy took them to a SB and yes it was on the heals of a great D but he got them there. I think they want to ditch him because he’s always hurt and they got to rely on 2nd/3rd stringers to win football games.

btw a guy in Green Bay just won the mvp with a fast release as well so it’s all relevant

5. Rockinz

Yes absolutely! Corners ability’s to close on windows is so fast in the nfl and if your wind up is long it gives them that extra split second to get there. Jamis Winston is a perfect example of this. Huge arm but his wind up takes forever and gives DBs extra time to make plays on the ball

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

Come on Legler, nobody said that a QB's release is the ONLY thing that matters, or that it is dispositive in determining whether or not he is a great QB. but it definitely is ONE of the important traits which successful QB's have, in addition to mental acuity, accuracy, etc. all else being equal, any knowledgeable fan would take a qb with a lightning quick release (Marino, Namath, etc.) as opposed to one with a long, laborious, "wind-up" release (Tebow), with everything else being equal. Release matters more than you are giving it credit for, with all due respect. AND Zach, in addition to being deadly accurate, and highly intelligent, has a lightning quick release, which you yourself have admitted, to your credit.

Noam likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Theres a lot I don’t get about the behavior in this thread so I guess we’re in the same boat. I get it. It’s how I was with Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen and the way that shook out is exactly why I haven’t participated in the conversation about two guys who could not be more equal as prospects.

LAJet likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Rodgers is good. He’s not good simply because he has a quick release.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. legler82

It’s not important to me. Tebow sucked as a thrower wind up or not. Russell Wilson has a similar wind up to Fields and that’s not affecting him. Things that were nice to haves have suddenly become prerequisites. Just 4 years ago Mahomes’ propensity to throw off platform was deemed “bad mechanics” by more than half this board. Now it’s practically mandatory.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting. Lots to digest

Rockinz and baalworship like this.
  11. patleahy

Agreed. Rodgers is good bc he is a quick release IN ADDITION to several other traits (accuracy, ability to read defenses good judgment, etc.)....all the traits which Wilson has displayed thus far in games, during his pro day and on his tape.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Kurt explains why Zach is his #2 guy. I really think this is spot on, fair analysis. Mentions lack of top competition, BYU not having super complex schemes, but sees Mahomes like qualities, and overall thinks he can make similar leap.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you look at his playoff performance he didn't really do anything to get them there. He didn't fuck it up and lost the game partly because of him.

That guy in Green Bay hasn't won in over a decade.

14. legler82

And Fields was throwing way further down the field on a consistent basis. He wasn’t throwing CMP% inflating bubble screens every other play like Watson.

15. legler82

Hey, you watch your tone! The guy in Green Bay does his part.

[​IMG]

16. legler82

So that’s yet another Mahomes comp, right?

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, not really a credible source. Only a HOF QB who broke down significant tape for all top prospects. Not to worry though, ESPN talking heads still prefer Fields.

Except there was one defection. Dan Orlvoskly is now claiming to actually have watched the tape and puts Zach now at #2. Not sure if I trust he analyzed the tape fully as he is too much into the mainstream media now and I don't put too much stock into this, like in a guy like Warner, but it is interesting that out of all talking heads, the one who actually played the position in NFL and claims to have studied the tape prefers Zach.

18. legler82

So is this a yes or no to the question?

19. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I like Kurt Warner and agree with his high view on Wilson but I do think he is using a QB template from the 1980's.

legler82 likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You watch yourself and decide. To further enjoy, here is another HOF QB talking about Zach. Starts at 4m mark.

A few interesting pieces. Really loves new Jets QB coach, would trust his son with him. Jets gave Zach playbook, and discussed it 24 hours later, and were really impressed. Aware of Jets past failures with young QBs, but feels with new coaching staff, the situation is as good as it can be for a new QB. Had many conversations about going to the Jets' situation with Zach's dad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.