Kurt Warner Ranks Zach Wilson #2 QB in 2021 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Apr 23, 2021.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If you still are questioning Wilson at #2. Here is a HOFer saying he is the guy.

Link to his video.

"The 2021 NFL Draft number two quarterback on my board is Zach Wilson. I wasn’t necessarily a huge fan of the offense BYU ran, so I didn’t get a firm sense of all the processing that he can or can’t do. There were a lot of simpler concepts with him…but there will be times that you definitely see the elevated processing. What really jumps him up on the board is his quarterback athleticism. Again, it’s not how far he can throw the football or how fast he can run…it’s his understanding of how to make different kinds of throws. We’re all kind of enthralled by a guy like Zach Wilson because we saw what Patrick Mahomes was a few years ago. You saw him in college and you weren’t sure how it was going to translate…but then you saw what he’s done in the NFL and you’re like holy cow! There was more than just physicality, you understood that mentally there was more that he was understanding and creatively seeing on each and every play. So, now you have Zach Wilson, who shows you a lot of those similar “collegiate Mahomes” traits and it seems like people automatically think he can be that same type of guy in the NFL. That’s obviously a big leap in logic, but the types of throws, the understanding, the athleticism by which Zach Wilson plays the quarterback position is really special and really rare and that’s what put him up at number two on my list."

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I saw that link in the other thread and posted this:

Public Service Announcement: Wilson Haters Please Ignore.

Like the other QBs who have actually played in the NFL, I give a lot of weight to Warner's assessment. And I appreciate that he can pick out the finer aspects of play - not just in Wilson, but the other QBs he's reviewed. In this case, he does a great job of showing that "innate QB sense" that I've tried to describe without out much success, but to me, this is THE difference that elevates Zach above everyone else, including Lawrence. Wilson may not be the biggest, or the fastest, or have the strongest arm, but he knows how to put all his ability together to its best use, and in this video Warner does a good job of showing how Zach reads what's happening - which isn't the same as "reading a defense", it's being able to see what's unfolding and making quick decisions on how to deal with it - and making positive plays.

And while his noting that Wilson has "Mahomes-esque" ability will make any Wilson Haters who ignored the PSA above howl and gnash their teeth, it's a good comparison. Of course, as Kurt pointed out, we don't know if Wilson can do these things at the next level, but he's been able to make that leap at every level he's played, so given some time to acclimate I feel confident he'll do that in the NFL.

The only question I have is: where is Part 2, since this video was titled Part 1?

Borat likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Right on cue, Kurt just released it!

4. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Who’s opinion should I trust? 2 ex QBs or posters on a message board?!?

5. Jason MacIsaac

This is a fantastic breakdown from Kurt, the good and the bad. It will be a process with Wilson, i don't expect him to come out and take the league by storm similar to Herbert. I want to see his progressions and reads get better year to year. 1st half to 2nd half will be key.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Kurt shows just how cerebral the QB position is and how much a QB must study and prepare for each game/opponent. Some QBs just try to rely on their physical traits and do what got them through college.

ColoradoContrails likes this.