The more I think about it.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by york61, Apr 19, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wilson is closer to Sam than Fields is.

westiedog1 and Bellys Lies like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If you say so, Chief.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Wilson is closer to Sam in that he has strong arm and is good with off platform throws and is a good athlete. As long as Wilson can take care of the ball he will be better than Sam. If not on to the next one. We will give him this year though.

I was listening to a story about Manning his rookie year and he kept coming back to the huddle after a Pic saying I didn't think he could get there. Finally, one of his lineman said this the NFL they can all get there. Wilson will need to learn that.

PJ4Ever and legler82 like this.
  4. legler82

Wilson and Sam are not the same I’m just saying he’s closer to Sam than Fields is particularly in terms of the gun slinger mentality. I referenced that Peyton story in a different thread. I think it was Faulk that eventually told him “this is the NFL; they all can get there”. I agree there will be a lot of those “didn’t think he could get there” moments ahead.

5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Why? The jags can't pick Trevor, Zach and Justin with pick #1.

We have the second pick and essentially whatever we want from it.

Not in a month of Sundays would Jax not pick Trevor, which means we have no real hand to hide.

Plus more capital next year which GMs are excited for as they believe that it will be easier to scout next year's crop.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  6. bicketybam

I was thinking Fields was closer to him in terms of reading defenses and pocket presence. I think Fields is a lot more accurate and has a stronger arm. He's obviously built better and can run faster. It's just the mental part of the game that worries me. If that wasn't an issue I would think he would be the #1 pick because he has everything else going for him.

REVISion, patleahy and PJ4Ever like this.
  7. legler82

Sam, the prospect, did not have issues reading defenses. In fact, it was considered a strength. Decision making was and still is his issue. Plainly, he attempts throws beyond his arm talent. Accuracy is also an issue but that’s tied to bad footwork & his affinity for throwing off platform unnecessarily. Zach’s footwork is better so his accuracy is better. His arm is tad bit stronger too. Other than they have a lot in common.

8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I usually agree with you but Miami will either pick Pitts at 6 or trade down to a qb hungry team. It is rumored that the 49ers might take Pitts at 3. That would blow the whole draft up. One trade option had Chase Young and Washingtons 1st for the fins 6 th

#88 Bellys Lies, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  9. bicketybam

I'm taking about Sam the guy we just traded and Fields the prospect seems to have some similar issues.

patleahy likes this.
  10. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Well-said Bickety. There is NO doubt that Fields has all the physical tools, but when it comes to reading a defense efficiently and effectively, I worry. His offense at OSU was VERY QB-FRIENDLY, and Fields was making a ton of "first read is wide open" kind of throws. He struggled when he had to move off of that first read, however.

11. legler82

Sure, Chief.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think so. Sam Darnold couldn't put up a 41-3 TD/Int ratio in a season if you blindfolded the DB's.

Not saying that Fields is really that good but Sam never has had a season in the NFL or college where picks weren't a problem at some point. He had 22 picks in 27 starts at USC and then 39 in 38 starts with the Jets.

Fields had 9 picks in 22 starts at OSU and Georgia.

legler82 likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Not even close.

Fields and Darnold are very close as prospects. Basically the same frame, weight and size. Both have a long throwing motion and hold the ball low when scrambling. When I analyzed Fields I saw a lot of similarities to Darnold when he was coming out.

Wilson on the other hand reminded me more of Matthew Stafford with his frame, weight and size.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

usually i would be all in on a top qb. its an absolute necessity. but i agree with you completely on your first point.

ouchy likes this.
  15. legler82

Frame aside, I disagree.

16. legler82

More than half those picks came in just 2 games. He’s far more cautious with the ball than Sam and Wilson. Don’t let Wilson’s lack of 2020 INT numbers fool you. He puts the ball in harms way.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Matthew Stafford is a good comparison to Wilson. Stafford has a tendency to throw the ball in a variety of different ways, angles. Sometimes thats good, sometimes thats bad, but that is how Wilson is.

and yes Fields is more like Darnold with that throwing motion. His feet are better but hes more of a traditional passer that needs to have his feet set when he throws it

18. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

The more I think about it the more I realize that the people who dunk on us for not taking Mahomes or Watson but want us to punt on taking a QB are people who lack critical thinking.