What if JD told the 49ers before they traded, the Jets were interested in three QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Apr 21, 2021.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

A huge what if... Hey we have a week to waste and not much to talk about right now.

The Jets staff is in tight with the 49ers since half of them came from there. What if someone from the Jets staff told someone on the 49ers staff that we were high on three QBs, not sure yet, and might trade back, but no further than the 3rd pick.

The 49ers never offered to acquire the #2 pick from us, because they already knew the answer. We would only move back as far as #3.

What if the Jets are still in limbo on the QB pick and the 49ers offered us a player plus a later round pick to move back one spot so they get their guy and we still get our guy. This would be the case if the 49ers had one guy they wanted and the Jets had two guys rated equally they would be happy for sitting there at pick #2.

Of course this would mean Wilson to the 49ers and either Jones, Fields, or Lance to the Jets. A lot of people at BYU and the 49ers want Wilson bad. Can you say Steve Young.

If this was the case, what QB would you wants the Jets to take, plus what player and pick would you want the Jets to get as compensation.

My answer:
    First, I really wish Lance had played all last season, because in his only appearance, he was not great. His only game was against lowly Central Arkansas, in which he only completed 15 of 30 passes, for 149 yards, with 3 sacks and an Interception. That was a far step backwards compared to his 2019 season. At #3 he is a huge question mark and I would pass.

Second, I live in Ohio and all I hear about is OSU, yet every fan here knows their QBs do not translate well to the NFL and many here contribute Fields success to the team and coaches. Yes he can run, but a 4.44 speed for a QB in the NFL is not a huge benefit. It is nice but, when the QB relies on his legs as much as his arm it doesn't always end well. Plus, two colleges are known for NFL duds when it comes to QBs, USC and OSU.

Here is my selection, Mac Jones if we pick at #3. He is like a young Brady who slipped to the sixth round, because he didn't like the gym. Everyone can see Jones is not in great shape, but still look at the results. He needs to become a gym rat and learn to eat right. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he can improve on it and it is still way better than Pennington's was. If you want a QB who can read a defense and hit the open receiver he is the guy. The records he set last year were phenomenal. He completed 77.4% of his passes with 4,500 yards and 41 TDs in just 13 games. Games against the best college teams and defenses in the nations.

Now what compensation I would need to trade back one pick. The two I would target and ask for one of both have concerns, which is why the 49ers might just agree to one of them.
    1. Nick Bosa has an injury history and the injuries were worse than they thought. 'The words “more extensive” and “bigger injuries” were used.' Yes, he will come back, but he will not have a long career with degenerative knees. If we could get 2-3 season out of him it would be worth it, but he is a fan favorite and they need to sell tickets too.
    2. Richard Sherman is getting old at 33 for a CB. Once again I would hope for 2-3 seasons at best. His real added value would be as a mentor for the new defense.

The last part is what pick compensation I would want. Two 5th rounders, #172 & #180. On the draft value chart they aren't much but if just one of the two hits for a good roll player or depth guy it's a win. If we land a future starter, it's a touchdown. You can't ask for much after requesting a proven starter too. After all it is just one spot back regardless what the draft chart shows for value.

Just passing time.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ohio State and USC are two completely different situations considering USC quarterbacks are generally pretty highly regarded and drafted high while Ohio State quarterbacks (sans Haskins) are always considered mid-round picks at best due to their physical limitations.

As far as the question is concerned, I'd hope that our organization did not provide info to other organizations about who we're picking just because we're closer to them. We helped out Miami if we did. I know others feel differently about this though.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This draft almost feels like fool's gold. You have your consensus #1 from Clemson, but then you have an Ohio St QB, a Bama QB, and two small school QBs who have a limited amount of success. The fact that Kellen Mond is ever mentioned with this group is also telling.

jilozzo and Red Menace like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just passing time, indeed. Zach Wilson will be the Jets pick.

I think more likely the 49ers knew Lawrence was going to Jacksonville. They felt the Jets really liked Wilson and he was likely going there. They really like Wilson too, so all they needed was to like ONE of either Fields, Lance or Jones. That way, if the Jets pick Wilson, they have their QB. If the Jets don't pick Wilson, they get Wilson. Pretty easy scenario for San Francisco.

5. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Your right about that outside of Lawrence none these QBs are a top 5 prospect why I was for keeping Darnold and grabbing the elite weapons available in the top 10. Kind of feel Wilson will be Mitchell Trubisky of this draft.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except the eagles trade kinda wrenched it. they had 1 guy they wanted and were willing to move to 3 to get him but found out the jets were taking him so instead traded down. that prompted the niners to move up to 3 to get who they liked.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Darnold is the Mitchell Trubisky of the scenario where we keep Darnold.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Beer article said the Jets FO felt there were only two QBs worth drafting Lawrence and presumably Wilson. If for chance the medicals on one of those two did not work out they would instead go with Darnold as they did not see any of the other QBs as an upgrade over Darnold.

LAJet, Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You want us to take Mac Jones? Really?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Over Fields or Lance, Yes. But I would rather have Wilson.

The deal I proposed if the Jets passed on Wilson and traded back one spot would be Mac Jones, Nick Bosa and two 5th round draft picks instead of Wilson.

#10 JetsFan, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

@abyzmul shocking qb rankings here

abyzmul likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It always seems to conform to the same pattern, doesn't it?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm all for speculation for fun, but frankly I'd want more than an old/injured defensive player plus two 5th rounders to move back. If SF doesn't have more to give then too bad for them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Swapping one bust out for another, that's about all we can get.

If Trey Lance goes to the 9ers, in 3 years he'll be hands down the best QB in this draft. It's just getting there that'll be painful.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

youd be gracious enough to accept Nick Bosa to move back one spot huh

Dierking, ouchy, IIMeanDeanII and 2 others like this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Welp.. One. Please don't speak for all OSU fans and people that live In Ohio.

Two. You are right. OSU QB's obviously have not transitioned well Into the NFL. However. You are not right from a current perspective. These are not the same circumstances and If you were a OSU fan. I don't think you are. You would know that Ryan Day has a strong QB reputation and the days of not emphasizing the QB position to actually win games are over. This process has already started If you've bothered to keep up with OSU recruits at the position. The transition has started with Haskins. Even though he hasn't looked NFL capable thus far.

I am more educated with OSU than any other college program. I would be saying the same thing If It was In regards to another school that had made a similar transition as well. Things change. Judging players by the school they attend Is asinine.

Your preference Is Ironic to me as well.

NCJetsfan and abyzmul like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

San Fran simply has to know who the Jets are going to take. Half the Jets coaching staff was in San Fran last year and they are all probably buddies. They didn't even try trading with the Jets

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

something is telling me that jones may do very well if the team that takes him builds the OL in front of him.

reminds a bit of pennington. we'll see how durable he is.

i wouldn't take him at 2 but he's not going to slide much.

JetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I see him as a guy who did really well because he had so many weapons around him. To his credit, he managed those weapons about as well as anyone could. However, without those (or other) weapons around him, I don't see him as a QB that can make plays on his own when things break down. Therefore, I don't envision success if he came here, but if he went to a team that had a fair amount of weaponry, he might be okay. I would not compare him to Pennington. 1) He has a stronger arm than Pennington 2) Pennington was one of the best QB ball handlers. How many times did he fake out the TV cameras? I don't see that as any part of Jones' game.

jilozzo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets do a trade back and wind up with him because JD and Saleh believe he can do well here, I wouldn't be upset. I think he could be a very good QB with, as you said, the right cast around him. I see him as a "poor man's Brady" and hope he doesn't go to the Pats because I think he'd do well under BB and that system.

I also agree that ball handling is an underrated skill. And it's one of the shortcomings in Wilson's game at this point - I think he can improve this and if he becomes a Jet, I sure hope he does.

JetsFan likes this.