Jets draft picks who you were right about/wrong about over the years

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFan20, Apr 19, 2021.

1. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Sapp WAS the pick. That's not on the front office or even idiot Kotite. Leon Hess vetoed Sapp himself

Hess was a disgraceful owner

Fiftynine likes this.
  2. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I loved the Jace Amaro pick too and was wrong on that. Not sure what happened to him. I remember he was getting open his rookie year just...dropped everything.

In retrospect the guy to take there was...Davante Adams. He went 4 picks later.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

4. James Hasty

People seriously need to stop shitting on the Ken O'Brien pick.

If Dan Marino got hit by a bus before he ever played in the NFL, no one would be complaining.

We got the second best QB (behind Joe friggin Namath) in the history of this franchise at the bottom of round one.

Pop Quiz, who won the shootout in Miami?

Oh that's right Ken O'Brien hit Wesley Walker for four touchdowns in one game (like the great Al Bundy) to beat your golden boy Dan Marino.

If we didn't lose the entire sack exchange and half of our offensive line we beat the Giants for the Limbardi in 1986.

How many trophies did Marino get?

Zero point zero:

[​IMG]

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree with people being too hard on O'Brien but its hard to say he would have been a better pick than Marino. But who knows, the teams they went to mattered. Shula was smart to build a wall in front of Marino. In NY he would have taken a much larger beating.

The thing about Kenny is there were all these touted prospects that draft and he came out of left field. Marino, Elway, Kelly, Kosar,were all hot prospects and we take Kenny out of a backwater D2 school. Because he was an underdog it made rooting for him funner.

#65 ouchy, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  6. James Hasty

Tom Brady went in round six.

Does that mean that Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington. Anthony Becht, and Laverneous Coles were all horrible picks?

No it does not.

No one has a crystal ball and Marino had issues that teams were worried about.

It is a bullshit argument that taking a great player over a future hall of famer with drug rumors passed on by at least 20 other teams was a bad decision.

John Elway was the surefire #1 pick that year, not Marino.

We get a lot more crap for taking O'Brien where we did than the Colts did for trading Elway.

K'OB likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I never sweated the O'Brien pick. Heck the Patriots selected Tony Eason that year 9 picks before us.

Also lets remember in that great QB year of 83, the #2 pick was used on Eric Dickerson. Oh the good things you can get with the #2 pick.

KurtTheJetsFan and James Hasty like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And just nine picks later the Chiefs took FB Christian Okoye.

For the younger members, Okoye is remembered as "The Nigerian Nightmare". Vick is just remembered in our nightmares.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I started to do a loved it and hated it list, and then gave up because I was starting to get miserable looking at all the picks that have flamed out

10. Its hard to find any info on what the team’s thought process was in taking Vick. Why isnt it considered the worst pick in team history? It wasnt a need, even then it raised a brow to use a 1st round pick on a FB & he had almost zero impact. That team had enough playmakers along w KOB where a good draft during that timeframe couldve easily reversed fortunes.

ouchy likes this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My craziest pick.

It's Christmas 2003, I'm channel surfing and come across a bowl game: Washington State vs. Texas in the Holiday Bowl. It's a close game and looks interesting so I decided to watch. I notice this safety on WSU who seems to be all over the field making plays. It seems he intercepted 2 passes and caused a fumble or recovered a fumble or both in the game. I'm thinking this guy reminds me of Victor Green the way he plays. Anyway WSU wins the game and I looked this guy up to see who he was. It was Erik Coleman. At the time I was on another blog and reported what I saw. Everyone said he was a nobody and might be taken as a free agent, but I knew he was better than that. Come draft day, I was communicating with another member somewhere in the 5th round and mentioned that the Jets should take this guy at some point. It couldn't have been more than 2 minutes after I posted that message when it was announced that the Jets had drafted Erik Coleman. I was floored! That year Coleman had a good training camp and made the starting lineup. He was a serviceable but unexceptional player with the Jets. Unfortunately, he didn't make people forget about Victor Green.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Loved and I was right
    Aaron Glenn
    John Abraham
    Jonathan Vilma
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Nick Mangold
    Kerry Rhodes
    Demario Davis

Loved and I was wrong
    Jace Amaro
    Mark Sanchez
    Dewayne Robertson (didn't love the price, but loved the prospect)
    Derrick Strait

Hated and I was right
    Anthony Schlegal
    Christian Hackenburg
    Mike Nugent
    BJ Askew
    Jachai Polite

Hated and I was wrong
    Vlad Ducase (was very solid after escaping Florham Park)
    Anthony Becht (very nice career)
    Bryan Thomas (not a bad player, but over Ed Reed ugh)

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mitchell had all the talent in the world. It was his brains and personality alone that held him back

ouchy and James Hasty like this.
  14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Bo Jackson was drafted in the 7th round that year...Could you imagine Bo being in Green and White and in the NY media Market...

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I never had issues with the O'Brien pick. Forget Eason, The Chiefs passed on Kelley, Marino, Eason, O'Brien, an a bunch of good players at other positions and selected the immortal Todd Blackledge at #7. Then he went 15-14 over 7 years, never starting more than 8 games in a season.

No wonder KC didn't spend a first round pick on a QB for 30 years afterwards.

ouchy and James Hasty like this.
  16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hmm....

IMO - Marino was THE pick in 83. whatever the jets were told or they "heard" was certainly NOT enough to keep him off the draft board. the herd mentality was rampant back then as much as it is today.
    u still had Todd and if Marino decided to fuck up the opportunity u could have had esiason the next year in round 1 instead of the immortal ron faurot.

17. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Mitchell was ahead of his time! More of a downfield threat than your typical TE back then. But yeah...never panned out. One of the many in what has yielded the clearest of all possible messages: The Jets should never, ever, ever, ever, pick (or trade a 1st round pick) for a TE. Ever. Never ever.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

?

The entire football world correctly identified John Elway as THE pick in 1983. Marino and Kelley were tossups for #2/#3. By the time the Jets picked, yes, Marino should have been the obvious choice. On the other hand, going into the draft most folks expected Marino to go to the Chiefs and Kelley to go to the Bills, leaving the Pats and Jets to fight over Eason and Blackledge.

Given those expected options, I think the Jets actually did a great thing and scouted the relatively unknowns Kenny O. I think the error wasn't so much in passing on Marino as it was picking Kenny too early. I think they could have traded down with anybody who wanted Marino, and still picked up Kenny in the later 1st or even in the second round. A little more O-line help would have made a huge difference for Kenny's slow ass delivery.

James Hasty and ouchy like this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Good point. I went back and looked at the draft and we had 11 more picks and didn't take a single lineman.

Also I never realized that Doug Flutie was taken by the Rams in round 11, pick 285.

James Hasty likes this.
  20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ok..... he was THE pick when the jets were on the clock.

i know elway was the pick at 1. the whole planet knew it. even the yankees knew it.

interestingly the colts also knew that marino was #2 and e. accorsi is on record saying that they would have picked marino if they had traded #1.

my beef with the jets at that time was that u have a perfect cold weather QB in your backyard (prior to technology) u certainly should be able to "weed" thru the rumors and get to the bottom line.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.