We are getting old

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by BrowningNagle, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is true for every generation though going back almost to the Enlightenment in western culture.

My dad was raised in the 20's and 30's and back then there was no TV and most American families did not own an automobile or a refrigerator, still relying on horse drawn transportation and iceboxes.

His dad was raised in the 00's and 10's and back then there was no radio and most American families did not have indoor plumbing or electricity, still relying on outhouses and oil or gas lamps, and gas lamps were brand new.

His dad was raised in the 1860's and 1870's and.. Well you catch my drift.

Every generation in modern society has had a complete watershed moment probably going back to the American Revolution in North America. For the Brits it would go back even further than that, likely to the 1500's when western culture really began to loosen into the modernity we see today.

The thing that really blows my mind is that today's generation of cell-phone social-media munching millennials have no idea what the next generation is going to look like and neither do we.

We're probably talking AI and self-driving cars and such but really we have no idea what they're going to be talking about as cell-phones go the way of the phonebooth and TV's the way of the radio.

2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I 100% disagree.
    No other time in History as seen the advancement in technology that so drastically changed the way of life in some many ways than the last 50 years.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 50 years from 1920 to 1969 saw antibiotics, automobiles for everybody, refrigerators, television, air travel for the masses, electrification of rural areas, water purification, and a host of other things that truly changed the way that life worked for the average person.

With respect for your viewpoint I think that if we look at the changes overall they have been very similar from era to era but probably most-so from about 1900 to 1950, We fought two world wars in that span in addition to much of the above. The West settled on democracy instead of dictatorship and nearly universal suffrage in that period also, although racial justice lagged behind the curve some.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This reminds me of a segment from the movie Waking Life where this Austin chemistry professor explains the telescopic nature of the evolutionary paradigm, how the gaps between evolutionary leaps significantly decreases through time.

It's a cool clip of you can get past the visuals.