The more I think about it.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by york61, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Good point, this new scheme does use TE a lot more. Hopefully he has a rebound year and maybe he’s engaged in game mentally from onset knowing he’s going to be key component of offense.

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

IMHO the darnold trade is not about whether he can be a legit QB1. It's shifting the financial window. If you have a QB1 you're going to have to pay him $$$$$. That changes the way you build/maintain the rest of the team. Jets are on the ground floor of a rebuild. No point in paying $$$$$ for a guy who might be legit but then hampers your flexibility on the rebuild making it more likely you fail to finish the rebuild.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

LOL! I like the Jungle Book music.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Maybe the Dolphins should have picked him up. He sure seems great at throwing to their players.

Ptflea2 and Red Menace like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

SMH

All you Armchair GMs bemoaning saying goodbye to Sam and wondering

We'll face it Douglas ..our shiny GM made the call ...now we live with it!!

The OL? Other than the 2 Guard Spots it's not bad at all ...Mark my words those holes will be adequately filled before Sept 2021

We have a nice corp of receivers including Mims Cole Cager Smith ..even if they trade J Crowder (which they might not and give Wilson more security)

So puhlese ..the Past is Dead

cval likes this.
  6. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

I just watched his interceptions from last season (the video linked in this thread has been removed, but there's another on youtube). I'm by no means an expert, but his helmet never moves once he hits his five or seven steps, so it's pretty easy to tell where the ball's going. Almost all of the interceptions came in double or triple coverage. I think you're right.

I guess the question for me is not IF we moved on from Sam but when. I'd rather have gotten a haul of picks and filled out the roster. Even with a bunch of talented rookies and Sam, we still would have had a bad record and a good draft pick next year. Plus any additional picks we could move back up to get "our guy" next year. And "our guy" would have had a lot more talent to learn with. This way just stinks of doing the same thing (which hasn't worked previously) over and over again because it will be different this time. I'm not convinced.

The only positive this way is that you get a PR boost. If you throw Sam out there and he goes 3 and out or throws a pick six, he gets no benefit of the doubt. With a new rookie maybe you get a bit more time with the fanbase.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

just don't think.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Herdon gives me contract year HOFer vibes. I expect a big year from him but I wouldn’t want to resign him beyond that.

blackssmagic, REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading Darnold gave the Jets the ability to put just about anybody they want to on the field at QB next year without having a QB controversy ensue.

If Sam was here every healthy down he sat would have been controversial in one way or the other.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think what’s more amazing is that when other teams move on from their high draft choice QBs like Trubisky, Mariotta, Josh Rosen, no one criticizes those organizations. When the Jets do it it’s an automatic dump fest.

Resetting the clock for four years allows every draft from here on out to be a plug and play philosophy especially when you consider how much draft capital Jets have accumulated moving forward.

Br4d, REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It was the only move to make IMO. Sam clearly regressed in 2021 and sure, you can attribute some (maybe most) of that to Gase but some of that has to fall on Sam. If Sam had been even just an average to slightly below average QB last year, he would still be on the team. But he wasn't and he isn't.

It's really hard to hang onto one of the worst QB's in the league (statistically speaking) when you have the 2nd pick in a "good" QB draft.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Sam was our future but I think our course with the #2 pick has been a bad idea. We passed over some really big swaps, some that would have still got us a top skill player plus added top picks, first rounders. We didn't have a good enough roster to pass that up.

Worst of all we passed all that up for an unproven flash in the pan QB that in reality has NO business being drafted top 5. The league went crazy for QBs this off season and instead of capitalizing on that we turned out to be the craziest one. That really feels SOJ.

On another note, Miami is most likely going to draft Smith, not Chase or Pitts. It would be a rare stroke of luck for us if they did take Chase or Pitts over Smith.

alleycat9, blackssmagic, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm curious, how did you get to this assessment of Wilson?

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Because its a genuine assessment. He has never had back to back good seasons, and the one good season he had was against division 2 teams. He has never had a good season against a D1 schedule. Therefore there is no data to suggest he can play at the NFL level, or even be a successful NFL QB. He has had surgeries on both shoulders and his throwing hand.

Wilson is inconsistent, unproven, and has serious injury questions. Those are way to many red flags for the price. Wilson is going to be one of the biggest gambles the Jets have ever taken.

blackssmagic likes this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more (except of WR - if we are to be successful, we need IOL badly) and I have stated that several times. Unless JD gets several IOL Willison or whomever will be like SAM running for his life. And the Dam scheme is not going to help if you can not sustain blocks - even zone blocks require that skill. ..

AS for Sam, I seen the flaws and hope he can overcome them in Car, he a good kid that got Fk by our management team so I hope he becomes a good OB.

#35 SOJAZ, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    papapump and ouchy like this.
  16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

REVISion likes this.
  17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Sam had way too many red flags coming out of college too with INTs and fumbles and look at where he is at now. He’s still a turnover machine and a QB that doesn’t make the players around him better. Sam hasn’t even played a full season here as well due to injury concerns. Keeping a bad Qb like that and picking up his option and paying him like a top 10 QB when he has done nothing to earn it would of been a bigger gamble and set this team back even further.

dmw and cval like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

With the exception of North Alabama, all the teams BYU faced in 2020 were D1 opponents. Even so, that's an interesting critique to have of a prospect considering we have multiple instances that refute this assumption that because someone either A) has never had multiple seasons of production or B) has not done so against high-level(what I'm assuming you mean by D1) opponents they will not succeed in the NFL.

Kyler Murray only had 1 season of high-level production (2018), and yet here we are seeing him throw for almost 4,000 yards in both of his first 2 seasons in the NFL. Josh Allen and Carson Wentz probably fit both of those assumptions you've made, depending on how you view their 2017 and 2015 seasons respectively. Yet they've both had MVP-caliber seasons in the NFL. Wentz may not be the best example because of his play in 2020 but you cannot refute his production in the 4 years prior.

I don't bring these up to say that Wilson will be as successful as Murray, Wentz, or Allen. Just to refute the assumption you've laid out.

Other than the injury concerns, which the Jets seem to been fine with so I find it interesting that you still consider these to be an issue, could you not say the exact same for every QB that has been drafted(with the exception of a few)? Almost every QB that has ever been drafted has had issues/flaws/concerns/etc.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Also, just so I'm on the record, I'm in the quiet minority of fans who would be thrilled with Wilson or Fields at 2. I lean Wilson but only slightly.

19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Made no sense to hold on to Darnold since his market value has been plummeting since he was drafted.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's the logical assessment when you scrape all the media crap off of the top of the situation.

Rich Cimini really thought Leveon Bell was a must-make move for the Jets.

ouchy likes this.