Jets draft picks who you were right about/wrong about over the years

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFan20, Apr 19, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why is Shonn Greene often labelled a bust or a bad pick?

3300 yards 18 TD's in 4 seasons, the only one to break 1k since is Ivory in 2015, I am sure we would take that from a round 3 RB selection this time around.

2. K'OB

I should have read through the whole thread before posting the very same question lol

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think some people expected him to develop into a solid starter, which isn't entirely unreasonable considering 3rd round is kind of premium for the position.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

All good stuff...and knowing no other team was going to draft a kicker that high, they could definitely have waited until the 5th round and still gotten him. And like you said, not having a 1st really sucked!

5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I was wrong about Stphen Hill. I thought he would be a badass physical reciever. He couldn't catch the ball.

K'OB likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez....the famous youtube draft clip summarizes what i usually think of every jets pick.

going back to 1981 - i usually hate all of their early picks (first - second rounds)

the few i have liked over the years - rob moore (supplemental 91), aaron glenn, marvin jones, randy thomas, abraham, s. moss, d. ferguson.

the last 10-15 years have really really sucked - didn't really like any pick in the first couple rounds.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Was right about players (not necessarily Jets players) being good or great
    Mahomes
    Becton
    CeeDee Lamb
    Jamal Adams
    Justin Jefferson
    Chad Pennington
    Jerricho Cotchery
    Mo Wilkerson
    Kris Jenkins
    Laveranues Coles
    Peyton Manning
    Eric Dickerson
    Craig James

Was right about players (not necessarily Jets players) being meh or bad
    Sanchez
    Darnold
    Amaro
    Coples
    Stephen Hill
    Jachai Polite
    Hackenberg
    Goldston

Players I missed on (being either good when I thought they would be bad, or being bad when I thought they would be good)
    Geno Smith
    Calvin Pryor
    Lamar Jackson
    Quinnen Williams
    Jordan Leggett (I didn't hear about his being lazy until well after the draft)
    Kenrick Ellis
    Ron Dayne
    Calvin Pace

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah and I hated that our GMs were so reactive to the latest loss in those days....remember we lost to Indy in that first AFCCG, and then we drafted Kyle finger wagging Wilson that next draft because we couldn’t cover all of the Colts receivers...there was no underlying philosophy on team building...we were just reacting

But specifically, we DID have a first round pick that year...but Terry fucking Bradway traded it to the Raiders for their second round pick and Doug Jolley...so yeah, Nugent was our first pick. Bradway never made a trade that he didn’t get royally screwed....man I hated him. And I hated even more when we replaced him as GM but still kept him in the building in scouting....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

With all sincerity, kudos to all you guys who remember all these players!

I am just too old and too f*cking tired lol

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I recall going to Corland to see Hill. Nacho tossed a 50 yard rainbow that Hill caught in the endzone. Well, he tried to catch it. Ball came down and clanked off his the middle of his extended forearms. Missed his hands by a foot. Crowd went from the start of a cheer to a groan. That was the moment that fans at that practice knew. We were woke so to speak!

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is a great thread...and sad to say, I can remember way more picks I hated and was right on than the other way around

most of all, I hated the Adams pick when we had a glaring hole at QB and both Mahomes and Watson were available....at the time I wanted Watson as I wasn’t sure about Mahomes air raid college system and Watson had just won the championship, but to take a safety at six overall made no sense to anyone

Next up for me is probably the Vernon Gholston pick...the rumors leading up to that draft were that he’d be there for us (were we at six overall that year?) and we definitely needed a pass rusher, so I specifically watched him in that years championship game at Ohio State and he was literally INVISIBLE. I don’t think he had even one tackle. Then and there I KNEW he would suck...if he couldn’t get up for the biggest game of his life to that time, I wanted zero to do with him...I would have wanted to see domination, but even outside of that, make at least some impact, dude! He did ZERO. God I hated that pick and I just KNEW we would take him.

hated the Coples pick as well...why we kept using premium picks on questionable players, especially with respect to work ethic or attitude, is beyond me.

the Nugent pick after trading out of the first round is another WTF moment...enough said on that one already...

trading up for DeWayne was another stupid move, especially when it came out that he had knee issues....like what were we thinking?

jeez....so many awful picks

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We actually traded up into the top of the second round I thought for Greene...maybe I’m wrong but I think that’s why....

13. K'OB

Two 1k seasons on the trot isn't solid? o_O

14. K'OB

NFL Draft:
    2009 / Round: 3 / Pick: 65

On April 26, 2009 the New York Jets traded up 12 spots to select Greene in the third round (65th overall)

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hated the Quinnen pick because I thought we needed an Edge more than an interior DL. Q might prove me wrong and I hope he does.
    I hated the Zuniga pick. Really wanted an OL or WR taken. Someone like Cushenberry would've been nice. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good thread idea!

Geno Smith is truly my one and only Jets pick that I KNEW would fail and did not want. I watched a lot of him at WVU and had 0 faith that he could be an NFL QB and I was right. Normally I have more faith and optimism in every Jets pick.

And the complete opposite of that: I thought Sam Darnold would be the next Peyton Manning. #1 QB in the NFL. I was pretty sure of it too. Thought the Jets got a steal and their luck had finally changed.........

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It took me 2 seasons to convince people that Quinnen was a better pick then Josh Allen. But I didn't want him going into the draft, I wanted to trade back and get a tackle plus picks.

#37 ouchy, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Pepsiguy5 and barfolomew like this.
  18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

My top 3 picks at each category over last decade because there are some whoppers back in the day like Brady over Sapp and OBrian over Marino etc etc but recently this is how I felt.

1. Christian Hackenberg- I honestly couldn’t believe it. I wouldn’t of taken him in the 7th round. He was one of the most overrated QBs I have ever seen and got drafted because he was a 5 star recruit out of high school. Deion Jones bad the player I wanted and he goes to the Falcons with the next pick. I was so pissed.

2. Sam Darnold- I tried to be optimistic about this pick but I had such a bad feeling about it. I knew Josh Allen was going to unbelievable too

3.Darron Lee - He was the biggest liability on an all star team in Ohio st. I wanted Will Fuller and of course he goes with the next pick.

Pick I loved that were busts:
    1. Dee Milner - I’m a Bama fan so maybe is was a bit bias there but I remember how awesome he was for the tide and though it would translate

2. Jace Amaro - I remember this guy lighting it up in an open air raid offence and we needed a pass catching TE but man what a bust.

3. Geno Smith - I thought he was a second round steal and would have a chip on his shoulder but we got nothing of that sort.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I remember being really excited about Blair Thomas. I thought he'd be a 7-8 year stud with at least five or six thousand yard rushing seasons.

Welp.

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You will not find anybody who is a bigger fan of the Fullback position than myself, but i KNEW the Jets were going to pick OT Harris Barton (North Carolina)... and they picked FB Roger Vick (Texas A&M). Still their worst pick ever in my book.

*And that OT ended up with 3 Super Bowl Rings. They Jets end up with 3 seasons of Roger Vick before they let him walk.