Jets should sign Alex Smith asap (RETIRED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I never said it's the only way to do it. I said it's the best way to do it. There will never be any evidence either way because, as I said in another response, you can't try it both ways with the same player.

But I really struggle to see how anyone can think it would ever be the best way to throw a college kid into the starting line-up of an NFL team. It might not backfire - clearly it hasn't backfired on many occasions - but it is a huge risk. And with such a big investment.

twown likes this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Some guys are better learning by being put into the fire, and others are probably better getting eased into it from the sideline.

I don’t think any one way is better than the other, or NFL teams would always choose the correct option, and they clearly don’t as of now.

It’s the team’s job to decide if the rookie they have would be better off playing or sitting, given all of the information they have leading up to week 1.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Having a vet QB is not all about playing. Is helping understanding the playbook help understanding how to break down tape and hep trusting what they are seeing on the field. A good QB room helps the starter tremensely

Noam, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ukjetsfan

Impatience, desperation, the need to turn a team around or risk losing their jobs, or flat-out poor evaluation of the player... there are many reasons a team might roll the dice and hope their rookie QB swims rather than sinks.

5. King Koopa

I don’t disagree. But that’s poor decision making if a QB is rushed on to the field for anything other than them proving they’re ready to go.

I think if a QB shows he’s ready to go as a rookie and you think the team can support him, then by all means go for it.

PJ4Ever and cval like this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Best way to learn is by playing. You’ll never convince me Rodgers or Mahomes are only good because they sat. But to me it’s all about competition. If the rookie is the best QB and if he’s ready to play, he should play. Different for every player.

cval likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

I agree with this. I am all for giving a rookie a drive or two per game to get a feel for the NFL. I have difficulty accepting that letting them start, with all the pressure that comes with it, is the best way, but it's fine to have a different opinion.

I'm not trying to convince you of that.

cval likes this.
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

How are you going to play the guy a drive or two, that’s not really fair to the starter. And like I said, he should only play if he wins the job and is ready to play. Many QB in this era are ready to play. Herbert? Playing Tyrod over him was insane. Burrow looked great. Kyler. It’s very rare that a top pick sits these days

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If a HC is on the hot seat he'll play to win no matter what, even if he gets his rookie QB killed. But Saleh has time on his side and will play to develop Zack while protecting him from getting killed. For example, if we're playing a team with a great front 4 that can get after the QB, call a run heavy offense, even late in the game when down by 21 points. Don't put the rookie in a position where he's forced to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs to win the game.

10. ukjetsfan

I'm not arguing with that either.

Anyway, I respect your opinion and I don't want this to just go on and on forever. Let's agree to disagree. And I know we both hope our new QB works out, whichever approach the coaching staff takes.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Herbert, Baker, Tua - Not all that Rare.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Guess we can lock this thread. Go get Nick Mullens.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He literally can't take a step backward without the help of a medical device.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He wants to sue the NFL but doesn't have a leg to stand on :D

GQMartin likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He made the right decision.

16. King Koopa

As many of us said, great story but he’s toast.

17. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I believe in Joe Douglas but this is one thing he kinda screwed up. We have no back-up/vet to pair with Wilson. Who's left out there-- Mullens? Bridgewater? The rookie will have to start week 1 and if he gets injured, we're toast.

18. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

What did the Jets waste a 4th round pick on James Morgan I really like to see him compete for the job he sat for a year. Anybody see this Kid play they know he can play so much that Belichick wanted him. I say let Morgan and the rookie battle it out instead of wasting a spot on the roster for another scrap QB.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, since Gase and Nogains thought Morgan sucked, they never gave the kid any shot to play. With all the hoopla over Wilson, unless Morgan did like Josh Allen and throw 10K passes to get his game dialed in, he'll never see the field in a Jets uniform. Just the way it worked out here for the Kid. Plain unlucky.

20. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

In fact teams have done this and work out well Vick, Shaub Griffin, Cousins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.