Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A foul tirade I suppose is in the eyes of the beholder, we know by now that calling someone a cunt is grounds for them buying you Brits a beer. Who knows what "I couldn't give a fuck about that..." means any more?

I'm not sure if the Jets' drafting of Jones would get anyone pissed any longer or simply result in uproarious laughter.

How many DWIs did Jones get anyway? That was the question that seems to have sparked this brouhaha.

#921 Ralebird, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jones had 1 DUI, he was 19, so 3 and a half years ago.

I don't think it will affect his draft status one bit. Dak Prescott had a DUI 2 months before the draft and so did last year's 1st rounder Tristan Wirfs

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

there are really more at stake than just the pick.

First, how will Saleh & Lafleur coach up the new kid? How many times will they put their arms around the kid and see how he's doing? What he likes. What he's struggling to understand or to execute on the field? All that deep down personal coaching stuff. How will our staff do, and how effective can they be? How will LaFleur design game plans? Will we have game plans that show a determination to win every game? Even if that plan can get our new kid killed several times a game? Or will our game plans be designed to develop our new kid while protecting him on certain downs while he slowly build his confidence. 4th and 15 near the end of the game, will LaFleur call a deep out for the possible win, a play designed to take 3-4 seconds to develop in the face of a strong pass rush (ie, new kid could get killed), or will we call a safe play to protect the new kid even if the new play doesn't give the same chance of winning the game? And the fans will booo at the conservative play call. So much stuff to consider.

Second, do we finally have a GM that appreciates the need to surround his young kid with raw talent? How aggressive will JD be going forward to build the best oline in football? Where will he skimp like he's done so far? And even if JD see the need, will he hit the right players in the draft? Or will he use a high draft pick on WR1 who busts and is out of the league in 5 yrs. We really need JD to build in the right areas, and hit on almost all of his draft picks. Nothing easy about it. We'll see soon enough.

Third, who do we draft? Several candidates have great qualities. In the end, it probably wont really matter if we go Fields or Wilson if we handle the first two things (above) correctly. Splitting hairs between Fields and Wilson makes little sense when you consider the probability of either of these guys becoming a top FQB1 being less than 10%. So Fields has a 9.7% chance while Zack has a 9.8%. But that's for a top FQB1. So we back off on our expectations and hope we get at least an above avg QB. Great, now the odds jump to around 40%.

The first two we control, coaching and drafting. The third, who we select and will he become Thee Guy remains a toss up. There's nothing any scout or GM and do change this. You shoot for a good character kid with a good arm who can (seemingly) read the defense, but after that, it's all up to fate. 50/50 at best.

Its like Zack is on one side of a coin, Fields on the other, and we're splitting hairs trying to figure out who we should draft and who will succeed. But then you have to flip the coin: Heads it's Zack that has the great career.....Tails it's Fields. That's just the way it works.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Edit: Wilson wasn't involved in his brother's fatal DUI and it was only a strong rumor that he was in the car when one of his WR's got pulled over for DUI his sophomore year at BYU.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's no guarantee that either of them has a great career.

Winston and Mariota, Goff and Wentz, Luck and Griffin. That's 3 pairs of QB's that went 1-2 recently and only Luck was actually really good and then he retired young because the NFL is a very chancy place.

#2 QB's picked after a QB went #1 are particularly dicey. They don't necessarily fail any more than a QB picked later in the 1st but the price you paid for them generally means that somebody drafted right after them within a few picks is now an All-Pro and all you got for your #2 pick was a QB not worth putting on a t-shirt.

If you blow the #2 overall pick you deserve to be a bad team.

Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't think it will either and when I questioned it earlier it was in response to someone who wrote about it in the plural and also said that they wanted nothing to do with him because of them.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Where did I disparage his judgement or professionalism in that post? All I said is that if he really liked a QB, his friends in the media would be likely to also like him based on their conversations with him.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would like to hear more about this

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Fields ceiling is Russ Wilson and floor is Cardale Jones in my opinion

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I suppose you will have noticed if you have been keeping the eye on Fields, missing assignments will not have been affected by this 'hidden' injury he had either, a shame as I thought he was meant to be the best right guard in the draft and that is something we most definitely need, along with many other positions lol

12. K'OB

Wow, round 3, that's a bad grade for a projected late 1st early 2nd round selection, @PennyandtheJets will also be disappointed to hear this negative report, He and I both had liked his reports, which goes to show you can't just read about these players really.

Thanks for that :)

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Wait...someone is saying mean things about one of my draft crushes? :(

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  14. K'OB

Two of them and possibly a third :eek:

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Cardale to Russ :D; that’s quite the range. I think his floor is Geno Smith from a passing standpoint. Broken jaw aside, Geno had some of the same negatives like long delivery and propensity to throw late. I have no idea what his ceiling is. I haven’t come across too many 6’3” 230 lbs QBs running 4.4 in the 40 w/ his kind or of arm talent & accuracy. He’s a bit of a unicorn in that sense. The best I can come up with is a bigger, faster and more accurate Watson. That’s a scary thought when I think about the possibility of passing on him.

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Definitely bigger and faster than Watson but more accurate mmmmmm I don’t think so... I’d give you better deep ball accuracy but not short/intermediate passes. Watson one of the best in the league at intermediate throws. Such a shame he’s got himself into trouble

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  17. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I actually the peak comparison for Zach Wilson is Deshaun Watson. Pretty similar size/skill sets. Fields reminds me more of a Cam Newton/Daunte Culpepper type.

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What? Cam Is like 6'5-6'6? 240-250lbs. Huh?

I don't get where these things even come from.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You are sleeping my guy’s accuracy & ball placement.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If we don't pick Fields we will be forever known as a laughingstock. This guy is going to be the greatest QB to ever lace up cleats. He can do EVERYTHING. Short passes, intermediate passes, deep passes, tight window throws with ease, can take off and outrun the entire defense if he has to. He ran a 4.4 for god's sake! He's got a huge arm and the heart of a champion. He will make Mahomes look like a weak armed schoolboy. The fact that the Jets are even considering ANYONE else is mind blowing. I'm just praying that Jax doesn't wake up from their Lawrence coma and pick Fields. That would be devastating. Not picking Fields, a truly generational talent, will haunt this franchise for eternity. Please, JD, don't screw this up. It's right there for you to see. You have the greatest collection of talent right there for the taking. Forget FQB. This guy will be a perennial all pro and a 1st ballot hall of fame player. Go get Fields!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.