Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Can you expand on this?

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2021/...secret-pain-make-an-immediate-nfl-impact.html

Borderline round 1, one of the best guards in the draft it says, in fact, I have never heard anybody else on here say anything bad about him.

2. Not huge on Wyatt either. Wont put words in his mouth but im pretty sure @IIMeanDeanII has been critical as well.

He’s an easy one to fall trap to bc he completes assignments well, has great athleticism at face value & obv got great exposure at OSU.

But he really isnt all that imposing or dominant on tape. While he’ll flash some exceptional movement skills its not as consistent as youd like or as impactful at the next level.

He bends extremely well & is a good technician.Thats his greatest strength. But his foot quickness & agility even in the phone booth leaves something to be desired & hes not a great drive blocker.

I could see him being a more athletic less physical Brandon Moore but Moore had better hands & strength;He also was a converted college DL who spend 2 years in NFL europe before he ascended w Jets.

Id be pretty disappointed w him anytime before RD 3

ColoradoContrails, LAJet and legler82 like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He’s a good scheme fit but in the passing game particularly w/ stunts & blitzes this year he had complete brain farts missing assignments leaving free rushers at the QB. That’s a deal breaker for me for an interior lineman. Maybe he was better in 2019 but if those mental lapses continue in the pros, he’s going to get someone killed. It only takes one of those “oops my bad” to ruin a season.

K'OB likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks! I finally figured it out...DUH!

I do respect Jenkins' analyses (even though I don't understand half of the slang he uses:confused:). But he has a lot of experience both playing and coaching QBs and I believe he knows what he's talking about.

I did sit up and take note around the 20 minute mark I think where he was asked about how well Wilson fits the SF system, and Jenkins said he of course will fit great because BYU used a lot of those same concepts, but he went on to say that he looks at QBs independent of scheme fit, and that Wilson would fit any scheme. Further, he pointed out that if he goes to the Jets, if the Jets are doing a good job (unlike the previous regime) they would incorporate things from BYU's offense as well.

The biggest plus for me was hearing Jenkins repeatedly mention that Wilson has shown on tape things that he'll be asked to do on Sunday, and he done it in live action, not just at a Pro Day. I feel very confident that Wilson is the right pick...now watch them take Penei!

5. ColoradoContrails

Is it possible that he just has bad habits from being able to beat weaker players most weekends, that he is too over confident and not focused enough? Not saying that's a good thing, but it seems like he has a lot of really good traits, that maybe he just needs to clean up his game and get more consistent?

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Man I don’t hate Wilson but I really think in 5 years we’re going to be the team that passed on Justin Fields.

Really hope I’m wrong.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I was referring to taking someone with a grocery list of red flags and declaring that as some courageous decision.

Keeping Darnold would've been more conservative than stupid. I could be easily persuaded on stupid too.

8. legler82

That’s where I’m at. I have the same sick feeling I had in 2017 & 2018.

9. Big Cat

We’re in sort of a no-win situation where whoever goes to SF is going to look like the better pick anyway, but I think that’s gonna look twice as bad if they take Fields. He would set the league on fire over there.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don;t have itunes. I just clicked the little arrow and it started playing. Audio only, no head shots. i'm playing it now. pretty good stuff.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. legler82

I have no fear of Wilson going to the 49ers or the Patriots but the fear of Fields landing at those spots keeps me up at night. I can already foresee in my mind the future “hE wOuLdN’t aS gOoD hErE” TGG posts and their authors. Rinse, wash, repeat.

EDIT: Like Darnold, I don’t even get the feeling Wilson wants to be a Jet which only adds salt to the wound.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with the Darnold decision is the Jets didn't have enough information to be confident about being right either way they went.

Darnold had been bad, with some flashes here and there, but the context around him was horrible. No #1 WR, no running game to speak of and inconsistent and often-injured TE's. Then you throw in a bottom 3rd OL, being charitable, and the context in which Darnold failed to produce was extremely sketchy - probably the worst in the NFL over the span in which he QB'd but certainly in the bottom 3.

Then you add in the absences due to injuries and poor decisions on his part and basically he becomes a total conundrum.

Did Saleh and LaFleur want to try to rehab him? Almost certainly.

Could they and JD afford to do this in the blind when other decent choices were available? Uncertain but probably not good career moves to try.

If Darnold had failed next year it would have reflected poorly on everybody. Despite not knowing enough we also knew too much about him to make a failure acceptable.

With the new QB everybody has a season's leeway. Then they'll all be in the same spot they were with Darnold if the new guy sucks as a rookie and they have yet another high choice available to make a QB pick. This is probably one of the strongest arguments for sitting the new guy for most of the season. Nobody will know enough about his performance at the end of the year to suggest the pick was a failure.

Maybe the best bet JD and Saleh could make this year is to avoid taking a high pick QB. Use all the picks to stack the team as best they can. Let Morgan and a vet and a camp body who is not totally forlorn compete for the job next year - this could be another 4th round pick or a 6th round pick this year. Plan to take a QB high in the draft next year if the 2021 plan fails because the Jets surely will have a high 1st round pick in 2022 again if this happens.

The 1981 Jets team that finally made the playoffs after years of futility was built on good drafting at all positions but the QB. The talent on that team was good enough to let a failed draft pick of half a decade earlier finally succeed at leading the Jets to the playoffs. This was at a time when the talent in the NFL was even more concentrated than it is now and the good teams were not constrained by a salary cap that forced them to let go of good players every few years to pay the great ones.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I am not as educated with the OL as you are. I know basic responsibility, gap assignment, zone and power concepts, leverage... The basics honestly.

From the eye test though.

I've have been critical of Wyatt. However, this has been based around the talk of taking him In the first round. His play does not warrant that at all. I do think with proper coaching that he could be an above average starter at guard. He could even surprise and be a strong starter, but, I would not spend a premium pick on that possibility because he simply Isn't a sure thing to me.

I see flashes of amazing qualities, but, he is very inconsistent In terms of projection. I think he might be too slow for today's DL, It's more speed based now adays, even on the interior. I think he will struggle a lot because of that.

Also. I've noticed people blaming his injuries in his bad Covid 2020 season. I disagree. I thought he looked suspect fairly often even before the Indiana game. He had been praised for his 2019 tape, which was much better than 2020. I do agree with that. I disagree that he looked as good as people made him sound. His flaws have always been there.

I think If he can be a little more fluid, react faster, and use leverage better, he has a chance.

I agree though. I would definitely swing at round 3 on him. He's worth that. I wouldn't try until day 3 though.

14. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I got it worked out after Borat "coached me up".:)

Good stuff.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I guess but I’d rather live through that then Fields ending up with the Pats somehow.

I like Wilson but if I’m being honest, my gut feeling is Fields ends up as a star in the NFL. Wilson could be too but I’d bet on Fields between the two if I had to

IIMeanDeanII and Bellys Lies like this.
  16. Big Cat

No matter how much I watch him I can’t quite seem to get there with Wilson. I like him, but I have no idea how he became a slam-dunk #2 overall pick and head-and-shoulders above Fields.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention this, but if Joe Douglas truly does love Wilson then his media connections are probably playing an enormous role in his inflated ‘draft stock’. He was college teammates with Todd McShay and is very close friends with Daniel Jeremiah from their time in BAL. Those are 2 of the most influential voices in the network draft community. If their good friend who holds the #2 pick keeps hyping up a QB, it probably explains a big part of why Wilson has been propped up so much. And when the big dogs are doing it everyone else just follows suit.

legler82 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Do you have anything to base this on? If true it would be very troubling. But I haven't heard, seen, or read anything to this effect.

18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Fields is not perfect but he is a hell of an athlete, has been a star through high school, college. Was leader in getting Ohio State being allowed to play this yr. Threw 44 tds and 1 int as a Junior. Outplayed TLAW head to head. If he did not go to Ohio State I think everybody would love him.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

From what I've seen it's more that he would LOVE to be on the 49ers rather than disliking the Jets especially.

legler82 and Noam like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold quite frankly is a feeling I get too. I do believe our past reputation precedes us, especially with the Sam treatment, and Wilson is been brained washed that is not the ideal environment. I can see his family and the entire community and local media making a case for him to go to a more stable organization. Of course I heard zippo about it to either confirm nor deny.

legler82 and REVISion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.