Discussion for the 23rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

You saw the team the past few season and you truly believe that the offensive line cannot be be upgraded significantly? How delusional can you be?
    Honestly if you switch the Browns OL with the Jets OL you would see them near our W/L record and not in the playoff.

Have a great OL is pivotal in having success. The last time the Jets had a good OL they made the playoff. Enough with the stop gap mediocre player we need true anchor players.

#161 Kryoptix, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I don't want the 23rd overall pick. I would much rather trade up 7 spots with Arizona at 16. They need more picks & we need really good players. Perfect spot at 16 since someone high up on our list of needs is bound to fall to that spot. How much to move up 6 spots in the middle of the first round? Probably our #66 pick. I think it's worth it since the talent level you get to choose from will be much higher at 16. Throw poor Atlanta the #227 or whatever that practice squad pick is.

Many of the top CB, OT, OG, LB, & Edge players will be there at 16.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Combining the first and third from Seattle into one player could be a very good idea if the right player drops.

Staying put and hoping Farley drops to us could also be wise.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Starting to really want Creed Humphrey at 23..

KY Jets Fan, BrickcityJet and FJF like this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I see the majority of the mock drafts still have us taking Etienne/Harris at #23 despite every indicator pointing towards us running with a largely expendable RBBC corps.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'd be on board with that, although I'd see who drops first. I'd keep my fingers crossed he could be snared with #34, albeit that's looking more unlikely as each week passes.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i said he was good enough. for now. not something that needs instant replacement. he's not going anywhere. JD likes him. he kept him on reserve when he dealt with whatever personal issues. he's paying him 7 mil. when we had a great o-line we had a FLT and FC (brick and mangold) and a group of good enough players around them. you can't have all pros everywhere on the line. it's the parity and salary cap of the NFL

8. GasedAndConfused

I never said it can't be upgraded. I said we have a lot of holes and it's gonna take 2 years to fill them all so you have to decide who you can get by with for 2021 and who you can't

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

At this point, an RB such as Etienne/Harris is the best pick. Just drafting Wilson isn't going to magically give the Jets an good offense. The best way to take the pressure off Wilson is to have one of these RBs lined up behind him. True, we could use help at MLB, Edge and CB but scoring points is also a good defense. When you're able to get up a few TDs on your opponents, it limits what they can do offensively to catch up, and helps the D.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah and I think that's a mistake. It's an easily upgraded position where a player is deficient. Maybe the scheme switch helps him but I'm not optimistic if we roll with what we have at guard.

11. GasedAndConfused

o-line's are best when you have a cohesive unit familiar with each other. we had 4 new starters, no off-season camp, and on top of that with injuries we had 8 different combinations of starting o-lines out of 16 games. even if our line was the most talented in the NFL they would have been bottom 10 in that situation

12. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Farley has a 50% chance of being there at 16 which is a lot higher than a 5% chance at #23. All the positions we really need will be around at 16 with players who are super talented. It would be a great start to the draft with Wilson plus another top talent. And we still have #34. Lots of options there too.

13. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Somebody’s speaking my language. I think he’ll be there at 34. If so we should definitely grab him.

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Most mocks including Kipers now have us taking Newsome at 23

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My biggest impertinent question for the draft is this. Will the Jet fans here be able to stop bitching about our number 2 pick selection, no matter which QB, in time to start bitching about our 23rd pick, no matter which defensive player?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm betting it just builds into a crescendo of bitching with each successive pick.

LAJet likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You seem to be forgetting the fact that SF started Dre Greenlaw, Fred Warner, and Samson Ebukam last year as their Will, Mike, and Sam respectively.

Dre Greenlaw was drafted in the 5th round (2019), Warner in the 3rd (2018), and Ebukam in the 4th (2017).

Going back just further illustrates the point that you don't have to prioritize this position in the draft. 2019: Kwon Alexander (4th round), Warner, and Greenlaw. 2018: Elijah Lee (7th round), Warner, and Malcolm Smith (7th round)/Reuben Foster (1st round, who only played 6 games).

To act like Saleh's defense HAS to have LB's that were drafted in the first 2 rounds to succeed is totally ignoring what's been displayed over the last few years. Look at their Super Bowl unit from 2019, you've got no one drafted before the 3rd round.

I do think they add to the unit but we could definitely get a starter-level LB in the 3rd-5th round with guys like Jabril Cox, Cameron McGrone, Dylan Moses, Pete Werner, and Chazz Surratt(who I love and think would be an absolute steal in the 4th round).

This draft needs to be focused on offense IMO. We can't let what happened to Sam happen to whoever we take at 2, even if that means we punt on CB/EDGE/LB for another year.

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If Jets went say Newsome at 23 and Humphrey is still there at 34 he’d be my top choice personally ....

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I get CB is a need but I really don’t need JD addressing that need with either 23 or 34. I’d really like to see JD go all in on helping Wilson reach his potential, that is a far bigger need than CB.

I wouldn’t have much of an issue taking one of the RBs at 34 if a guy like Jenkins or AVT are the pick at 23.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm starting to come around to the idea of taking Harris or Etienne at 34 if they happen to slip, especially if we go OL at 23.

Now if a good WR prospect is still there at 34, thinking Bateman/Marshall/etc., then maybe we go with one of them instead and target a late-round RB. I'm with you though, this draft needs to be focused on building a solid offense around Wilson.

REVISion and westiedog1 like this.