JD is on the clock too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Mar 27, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You are inferring things from what I wrote; it’s not me inferring anything. SMH

in·fer
    /inˈfər/
    Learn to pronounce

verb
    1. deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.
      "from these facts we can infer that crime has been increasing"

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In my alternate reality, we get Fields, an IOL, a CB, and a RB from this draft. Then, get a top Edge prospect and possibly a TE in 2022.

All Gas No Shake, Brook! and legler82 like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You're allowed to like whichever candidate you want and campaign for them, that is indeed the point of a message board.

The alternate reality is believing we're going to take someone other than Wilson. It's possible, but any objective observer should be able to see it's quite clear we're probably taking Wilson. May as well start the acceptance phase of the grief chart now.

Noam likes this.
  4. legler82

I think it’s all hope but still why does it bother you?

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me at all. People can be delusional if they want to be.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

REVISion. You kept a clean argument so far. Can we stay away from words like delusional if possible? :)

REVISion likes this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I would give Joe D a solid B thus far--

His trades have been an A, we have gotten fair if not above market value for any player we have traded. He also did a fantastic job maneuvering in the draft last year and I can't wait to see how he does this year.

I think B+ for draft picks so far (Becton, Mims, Mann and Hall all solid), didn't like Morgan or Zuniga at all.

I would give him a B+ on handling the media--does a good job of not leaking info from the team and dealing with drama. Think he missed the boat on overpromising things with players (Darnold's parents comment, Adams being a forever Jet etc)

B for free agency. Smart deals. Use incentives. Didn't do enough for Oline in my opinion.

I think Joe still needs time to develop on the job as well, just like we would expect from a player. I would be totally fine giving him his entire contract to turn this team around. Unless Ozzie Newsome came out of retirement to come here, he is our best option to turn this thing around.

PJ4Ever, NYJetsO12, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That the 49ers made a mistake, and a big one at that, is no reason for us to make a mistake at #2.

I doubt the trade-up for Mac Jones theory largely based on the 49ers did not have to trade up to the #3 for Mac Jones. I think they traded up for Fields and will accept Zach Wilson as the booby prize (real booby aspect to that) if the Jets take Fields at #2.

I think the amount of value the 49ers gave up to get from #12 to #3 was completely insane and that it makes their pick a boom or bust on the entire window as a result.

ouchy and Red Menace like this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

49ers will pick the Russak Wilcott aka Justin Fields!

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Pretty much my view word for word! Agree on trades, liked the draft pick accumulation, like those players you mentioned as well...I’m down on Perine as well but we’ll see if he improves....but honestly I see it the same way

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  11. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You can write about things that you infer lol are you joking?

12. legler82

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. PJ4Ever

You seemed to be inferrring that Shanahan likes Mac over Wilson. And I was pointing out Wilson was Kyles top choice.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. legler82

You inferred that. You are wrong.

15. PJ4Ever

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I wonder what the implications of this little difference of opinion will be.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Armageddon, clearly.

All Gas No Shake, K'OB and Red Menace like this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While Joe Douglas and company are busy attending prodays and burning the midnight oil debating Wilson vs Fields, trying to get it right, the 49ers are doing nothing. They are playing in their 4th golf tourney. They know the Jets will do all the work and make their choice for them. They have already submitted their card 'which ever one the Jets didn't take' ;)

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think JD has made some B+ moves with every direction he has gone this offseason. However, that grade is based on the idea that he is building a 49er type system as opposed to other systems. If we were not building according to the 49er philosophy I'd grade him closer to a C-.

That said, i don't agree with our approach to this years draft. We could have done so much with the second pick beyond selecting Kid Red Flag. The second pick had massive rebuild written all over it this year and to sacrifice all the talent this early in our rebuild for one unproven player is very risky. It could turn out to be a great move, and i hope for our sake it does.

This is the biggest fork in the road we have been at in decades. Taking the risky route can payoff, but if not, its also something he will have to account for.

If Wilson crashes and burns I'll have no issues with flaming JD into the ground every chance I get. Not because its not easy to know which QBs will succeed in the NFL. But because of the incredible amount of draft capital we are spending to draft this QB with too many flags, and for rushing to get him before were ready. We are acting like were drafting John Elway with the amount of value were placing on Wilson. GImme a break.

If the #2 pick busts then JD also busts. IMO he is putting his whole Jets tenure on the line with this decision.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think he can miss on the #2 pick and not get fired. That requires him having a very sound draft in 2021 and 2022 despite that.

I think the place he gets in trouble is picking the QB that Saleh and LaFleur are not sold on. Everybody needs to buy in 100% if the Jets are going to potentially waste the #2 pick on a guy who should not see the top 10 and all the QB's not named Lawrence are in that category this year.

If LaFleur is not foaming at the mouth about the chance to work with one of these guys in particular the Jets should do something else with the #2 pick.

That's true even if Mac Jones is the guy he is foaming about. Fields and Wilson are much better prospects in my opinion but if LaFleur and the Jets offensive staff are sold on Jones that is what JD has to do if he picks a QB on the #2.