Discussion for the 23rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you clearly aren't familiar with saleh's system then to say that. and no our starting Lbers are a former 5th rounder who's missed more then half his games over the past 2 years with injuries. a former 1st round bust on a 1 year deal we just signed, and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and never played in a 3-4. our 2 backups are PS players bounced around the league. we have nothing solid at LBer at all.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whatever. The major point is that it doesn't matter if one's QB winds up getting injured or is ineffective because of a shaky OL. LB just isn't and shouldn't be a higher priority than protecting the QB and ensuring that he succeeds. Period. If you don't get that, then you don't understand the first thing about NFL football.

3. GasedAndConfused

except the o-line has potential. we had 4 new starters last year with no offseason due to covid. then we were ravished with injuries. I think we had something like 7 different starting o-line combinations out of 16 games due to injuries. They never had a chance to gel. I agree GVR is garbage but the rest of the o-line is pretty solid overall. and both becton and mcgovern are top 10 players at their position. lewis and fant are solid and good enough. they just need time together

4. NCJetsfan

GVR is better than Lewis. Lewis is not pretty solid.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lewis and GVR suck. Fant is serviceable and probably good enough. I think he'll be a good run blocker in this zone scheme.

6. GasedAndConfused

no way you could have watched the jets and say that. GVR was awful. lewis is decent

7. GasedAndConfused

lewis doesn't suck. he's not great but he doesn't suck.

FWIW PFF rated him 66.6
    544 snaps played, 4 penalties, 0 sacks allowed

8. NCJetsfan

BS. I only missed 2 games. What I saw with my own eyes has been backed up by stats and by the comments of media and other posters. GVR had a rough start, but as you said he had no OTAs, mini-camp or preseason. He was pretty good from around game 7-8 through the rest of the season. Even so, imo he should be a backup, not a starter. I wouldn't have a problem with keep Lewis as a backup, either, but since JD signed Feeney, and the # of OL they keep will be limited, Lewis needs to go imo. Cutting him would also give us a nice chunk of cap space.

9. GasedAndConfused

according to PFF lewis graded a 66.6 and 0 sacks allowed. got a green rating
    GVR had a 63, yellow rating and 3 sacks allowed

10. Jonathan_Vilma

The three point difference despite allowing three sacks isn't a red flag to you that PFF's grading sheet is nonsense?

You just said GVR is awful, but Lewis is decent, yet their grades are very similar. So which is it?

11. GasedAndConfused

i's literally in the grades. those 3 points are the difference between above average to below average. lewis is green GVR is yellow
    same way a 7 in draft grades is a pro bowler and a 6.9 is an average starter.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I mean you're pretty much proving my point. A three point differential on a 100 point grading scale shouldn't be the difference between being good and awful. That's yet another reason why PFF grades are a dumb barometer to use.

13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

We need an OG at 23 or 34 and we can get a good center like Josh Meyers at 3rd rd pick 2. 2 IOL minimum. RT is really not a huge need.

mrjet80 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

PFF is not the be-all and end-all.

15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Actually getting a RT than can start as RG would be a godsend. First OT is the position that take the most time to establish themselves in the league so if we can get a guy like AVR or Jenkins you jump in joy and run to the podium. We fill a need and it would valuable long term.

Next year we can clear Fant salary, move back Jenkins or AVR at RT and spread the available cap at another key position.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

not saying it's a great parameter but for o-lineman what else is there? other then sacks allowed which lewis allowed 0 in 500+ snaps and GVR allowed 3 in 700+ snaps.
    we also have a different offense and a new QB which is likely to help the line.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean the fact that we've had the worst guards in the league for the better part of the past 3-4 seasons and he's been a starter in two of em is a pretty good indicator. The left side looked significantly better when Elflein, a waiver wire acquisition, was in there.

18. GasedAndConfused

lewis was only the starter for 24 games out of the last 2 years. we've been banged up a lot. do you not remember mcdermott and edoga starting?

19. GasedAndConfused

not saying it's a great parameter but for o-lineman what else is there? other then sacks allowed which lewis allowed 0 in 500+ snaps and GVR allowed 3 in 500+ sacks.
    we also have a different offense and a new QB which is likely to help the line.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

And he sucked dude. He gets no push whatsoever and routinely gets pushed back in pass protection. Just because he was the best of bad options doesn't make him good.