Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They still lead the league in sacks and were tied for 9th in interceptions and 3rd in fumbles recovered. The defense was certainly worse but took on a different shape. The Chiefs offense elevated itself from 25 PPG to 35 PPG and engaged in shootouts leading to softer defenses against teams throwing the ball downfield to pick up larger chunk plays while in a deficit.

The defense only allowed 5.1 more points per game from 2017 to 2018.

Either way, Mahomes walked into a perfect situation with a HOF tightend, coach and perhaps receiver. That's not to say he wouldn't have been great in other situations but he may not have had the start to his career that he had.

cval likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. There are many times when a QB doesn't have time to set and throw when he's evading the rush. Mahomes and Wilson can throw off platform and be just as accurate as when they set and throw. Even when they throw off platform they are using sound mechanics, and not just using their shoulder/arm.

baalworship likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

tell that to rivers. there is a reaosn there is a prototypical way to throw a ball. brady is a perfect example of it. all this throws look identical and he's perfected it to release even faster at 40 then he did at 30

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm going by memory, but may well be incorrect. My recollection of watching the dreaded Dolphins is that Marino stood out as carrying the team on his shoulders, made that offense scary, but it seemed like the rest of the team didn't quite measured up to the opposition level on the big games. Might be dead wrong. Some of the old timers here might remember better.

5. Watch acouple YT vids & Chris Simms segments & everyone is a talent evalauator.

Just Make sure you blindly rank the rumored Jets preference #1 no matter who else is among the supply.

If it fails we scapegoat the GM,chalk it up to being a crapshoot & watch a few more YT vids to relaunch the whole cycle

6. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

KC was a tremendous landing spot, no doubt.

But if they hadn't moved up he ends up in New Orleans with Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, a better defense and Sean Payton calling plays. And he sits on bench behind Drew Brees for one year.

New Orleans wins at least one Super Bowl with Mahomes if KC didn't jump them.

7. baalworship

What if you had Wilson as QB 1 before Simms board posted and prior to the assumption the Jets would take him?

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If it succeeds, then Jets fans finally have a franchise QB and wins on the field. Think positive. I get that we are used to failure as Jets fans, but Joe Douglas has been making good moves. Give him a chance.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Gonna bookmark this post, just for the shits and giggles if you're wrong :p

10. baalworship

That's fine.

The same people who declared him generational missed the actual generational QB already drafted.

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  11. K'OB

No ring Marino :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. K'OB

I guess the next generation time portal started after Mahomes was drafted lol

Brook! and baalworship like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

its possible Trevor Lawrence could bust. I dont see him as amazing as the scouts try to make him out to be. and he's headed to a talent-deprived Jax team with an unproven coach (at least in the NFL)

cval and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. If you have conviction & are evaluating solely on your own so be it. My post wasnt directed at you or any one person.

That said i struggle to find common ground w your evaluation & overall assessment. Especially pertaining TL

15. baalworship

Greg Cosell said something great recently. The job of an evaluator of QBs is to isolate what the QB is doing from everything going on around them

What traits does the QB possess?

And when I did that on Wilson and Tlaw, Wilson was the clear winner.

16. Lions not sheep.

17. So you werent doing that already while evaluating already? And conversely what about the negative traits/red flags?

Im not sure Wilson has a single trait that TL doesnt & that TL doesnt have better

In fact, in some odd way preferring Wilson overall makes more sense than breaking down their positive traits & declaring ZW superior

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

So I watched the Coastal Carolina game as that seems to be the one to look at if you want to view Wilson facing consistent pressure/good defense.

I was a little disappointed in the pressure that he faced.

I'd love to be able to view Wilson through a lens of facing serious pressure. That's where you really get a chance to see how a prospect responds in the face of adversity.

Can someone point me to a game where he faced a fierce pass rush?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

There are many narrative that I have seen regarding Zach Wilson by some analyst which is simply put ridiculous or simply lazy scouting.

1) He could not beat Coastal Carolina or that he was not good enough. I have watched the full game and all the plays and that is ridiculous if anything Wilson is the sole reason they were still in the game at the end of the game and were 1 yard short of winning that game. Basically, his receivers dropped many perfect throws, the referees missed obvious pass interference, BYU defense were shit, Coastal Carolina limited the impact of Zach Wilson by running out the time and ran the ball all the tine and finally bonehead decision by a BYU receiver who lost 20 yards by coming back from his route progress. Overall I would even say that this game was more impressive in regard to Zach Wilson on how he handled it and never lost composure.

2) That he never faced pressure and he is untested. People making this comment have clearly not watched any game of 2018 or 2019. He was facing pressure all the time and handled it very well, he is very shifty in the pocket and even when the pocket collapse he is able to throw great throws. I am pretty confident he will handle it very well in the NFL.

20. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Versus USC in 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.