What was your reaction when the Jets drafted Christian Hackenberg?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Apr 9, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Did anyobe watch him when he was starting for the Tennessee team in that developmental league a few years ago? He was fucking awful. Embarrassing.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw him. You'd figure he'd light up that league, but as you say, he was awful.

I think part of the problem was the Jets having to face Brady twice a year, a guy drafted in the 6th round. For years the Jets kept trying to find that diamond in the rough in the lower part of the draft instead of going after a top QB prospect, prolonging the FQB misery. Diamonds are hard to find and Hackenberg was just another in a long line of cubic zirconia.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I couldn’t believe it. He was so bad at the combine in comparison to other QBs in his class and on film he was one of the worst passers of the football I’ve seen to be drafted. Never mind in the 2nd round.

cval likes this.
  5. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

WTF

Lon Chaney and cval like this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I was watching it with my buddy and I told him that I would lose it if they drafted Hackenberg--my friend and I were convinced they would do it. Sure enough, they would draft him and ruined the rest of the draft for me. I never believed in him or Geno.

The one guy we drafted late who I thought might have been a steal was Kellen Clemens, he had a lot of nice traits. I just don't think he had enough arm talent

7. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Confirmed my initial assessment that Mac was the worst GM this team ever hired and had no business having anything to do with an NFL front office I wanted him gone. Was never excited about him being hired felt the Johnson were cheap because they didn't want to roll out the money for a proven NFL guy.

8. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

To be honest I didn't mind the pick. He had a great freshman year but then the coach left and he had no OL.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I felt nothing... just numb... Picked a bad day to stop taking percocets.. :)

dmw and cval like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Didn't Mac pull the trigger early on the rumour that Bellicheat or his old PS coach were going to pick him with their next selection so he jumped the gun and grabbed him with our 2nd?

He was once rated as the next big thing after his freshman season and then the change of coach and an awful OL did him no favours for two seasons but he was meant to be running a pro scheme in his 1st season and doing so very well.

As per it was a Jets fuck up, I don't blame Mac for pulling the trigger early but I do blame him for then not seeing that he was not ever going to be a QB in this league after a year at the Jets and then not grabbing another the following year at 6 or trading back and grabbing Watson/Mahomes with the #10 pick and grabbing another pick into the bargain, this is the kind of thing JD would be doing, he seems savvy in the trades, something Mac never was.

#50 K'OB, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Cman68, AJW, dmw and 1 other person like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I wasn't paying attention to possible draft picks and knew nothing about him. Other Jet's fanatics that I followed on the internet weren't happy. They said that Hackenberg didn't merit better than 4th round.

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree about not drafting another QB, but it was a dumb pick in the 1st place. The coaching staff must have known that Hack was no good after 1 season of practice and they should have jumped at Watson/Mahomes. What were they thinking?! They didn't let Hack on the field in his 2nd season so why didn't they draft another QB?

K'OB likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

add this to the pile of shitty threads started by this "guy"

Cman68 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

When we say "a QB you like", we assume the GM can spot talent and we are talking about a franchise QB (FQB) level talent. If your scouting department likes a lousy QB and thinks he's a FQB, then you have other fundamental problems that need to be fixed.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Being drafted in the 2nd or later rounds and relegated to the bench with (most likely) little or no development/coaching versus a QB drafted in the 1st round and surrounded immediately by coaching/development/reps/opportunity has to play a roll.

Sam got 3 training camps and 3 seasons as the starter to show what he had. Hack got almost zero. Maybe it was b/c the coaching staff never wanted him and didn't go out of their way to develop him in the short time he was here? Or maybe Hack just sucked so there was never any hope for him.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don't overthink it. Occam's razor applies here.

I was a bit more optimistic about it than most even though I thought it was a big ol' reach. The shitty scouts took a swing on a bad curve ball eight feet off the plate but at least they swung. The Johnson's should've realized how bad Maccagnan and friends were as soon as the coaching staff was apprehensive about putting him into preseason games.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he had to have really sucked for Bowles to not give him a chance on the field. Cause Bowles played anyone. Its a safety thing really. If a guy is so bad he doesn't belong in the league its unsafe to throw him out there with professionals highly paid to physically beat on him

fwiw I naively was positive on the selection mostly just because I was hoping for once the Jets got it right and the analysts got it wrong. I was a dummy

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I said exactly that in the post you quoted, that was the bigger error than drafting Hack in the first place.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Why ask this question now? Hindsight is always 20/20, pointless thread