The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Finished Hinterland. Good show, but different. I never realized that the Welsh are the backwater rubes of England. I think it missed out on a lot of opportunities for character development but overall a well made show that didn't try to take on more than it was capable of. Without spoilers, I learned 3 things:

1. Wales has fantastic scenery and architecture
    2. Cop shows where the police don't have guns are often confusing
    3. It is apparently Welsh tradition that when a law officer approaches you and begins to ask you questions, your unfailing first response should be to immediately turn your back on them, walk away and perform a menial task

Thanks @Red Menace for the recommendation.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed it Byz, we felt the same way about the characters, they could have expanded a little more from each character and probably gotten another season out of it.

My wife and I would pause the show and do research just to understand the background of the people, What does Hinterland mean...etc.

Overall we liked it a lot.

3. abyzmul

I've tried to get through the first couple of episodes of Luther the past couple of days but it's so ham-handed. Like trying to hurry into the story of him being stalked by a serial killer while being this genius detective, beating you over the head with it. Really trying to be Sherlock.

Isn't working for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot another time.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I thought season 2 was the best of the 5, 3 was good also but started downhill. 4 and 5 were ok but probably only watched them because I was already 3 seasons in and they were only 2 and 3 episodes each. I also like Ruth Wilson, not her best role but pretty good here I thought.

I seem to latch on to a show and can't stop watching sometimes, hoping it regains some of what hooked me in the first place. Kind of like TWD, it is terrible now but I still record it and watch it all the while bitching about it.

5. abyzmul

Netflix documentary: My Octopus Teacher - frickin amazing.

I've been fascinated with the intelligence of the octopus for a long time so this one was a no-brainer for me, but it's so well done. This South African wildlife photographer/documentarian has kind of a nervous breakdown and spends like a year or two free-diving in the ocean nearby his home. He find this octopus and ends up visiting the same octopus every single day. He ends up losing it but then over the course of a week he maps the whole floor of the underwater forest to track it. There have been tons of different tests they put octopus through to display their intelligence but seeing one interact with a human in the wild is next level.

REVISion likes this.
  6. abyzmul

Forgot one:

Brockmire

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Almost caught up on snowfall, really good . Anyone watch that new one on amc gangs of London?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I haven't, how is it? Snowfall is ramping up right as they to into the seasons end. It was a little bit boring TBH. I thought this was the worst season so far.

Finished Snowpiercer season 2. Really good if you can get past the strange concept. Class warfare style show.

Mayans has been great this season after thinking it was extremely douchey the past couple seasons. @The Waterboy - you been watching?

Open to recommendations on what's next dudes. We watched Patriot but gave up with three episodes left after finding out there's no season 3 and it's too far fetched.

9. The Waterboy

Snowfall I thought started out strong this season but after the first 2 episodes they seemed to pull back. Mayans is still good but I don't like how much they are trying to have everyone with a woman issue now.
    I have been so lazy watching the last year or so that half the time I don't even pay attention half the time, seems like so much of the same with each show. Like Byz pointed out with cop shows all following the same blueprint, I watch them because I was just so used to watching a few good ones but many I watch are just the same format with different lead actors.

Been watching The Serpent lately on Netflix, pretty entertaining but didn't grab my attention to make me binge it, watching one every few days or so.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Haven’t watched it yet. Was hoping for a review first. I’ll probably start it this week.

11. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I’ve been binge watching old mst3k and rifftrax. The 3 part animated Godzilla on Netflix is good if you like that kinda thing. Rewatched Gravity Falls with my kids for the second time. Last Kids on Earth is pretty good kids stuff

12. abyzmul

Making A Murderer

Definitely one of the more depressing documentaries I've seen but the first season still very good, starting the second.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

I never watched the second. I don't think it's as impossible that he did it as the documentary makes it seem in all honesty.

I don't think his nephew had anything at all to do with it though. That poor kid got railroaded by the system and it's bizarre that he's not out yet.

I started Zero zero zero yesterday. It's pretty good. I'm usually always against subtitled shows because it's tough to get a feel for the characters and I don't like reading for an hour but it's damn good.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Finished off ZeroZeroZero with the perfect segway to a second season but they're not making one. Pretty good and subtitles didn't end up being all that bad.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Best shows ever imo if anyone wants recs:

1. Breaking Bad
    2. The Sopranos
    3. Game of Thrones
    4. The Wire
    5. The Americans
    6. Dexter

Chernobyl was also great but I don't know where I'd rank it because it was a miniseries. I also love stuff like Planet Earth and Blue Planet.

16. abyzmul

Somebody tell me you watched this show please.

[​IMG]

17. The Waterboy

I had my doubts about it but after watching the first 2 I was hooked. Pissed that there is no season 3, probably since Meloni has his new show.

18. abyzmul

I think he would have done it but Sci Fi bailed on the series. I have since been holding out hope that a streaming channel would pick it up.

19. The Waterboy

I think it has an outside shot of someone picking it up, it was Sci Fi's 2nd highest rated series. The Expanse was #3 when it got cancelled by Sci Fi a few years back and Amazon picked it up.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

With this sort of description I'm quite skeptical but if you guys say it's good maybe I'll give it a shot.

Starting watching Berlin Station. It's like Homeland lite with less bipolar medicine.