What was your reaction when the Jets drafted Christian Hackenberg?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

What struck me, it was no doubt that Max was going to pick a QB but many thought in the 3rd-5th rd. If I recall correctly Mac liked Lynch very much but was picked in the late first RD by the Broncos. Lynch would have been better but he wasn’t worthy of a 2nd rd pick if still available thus Mac struck out twice there.

I think That was draft Dak And Briskett came in 4th rd ;?) both obviously having a good or solid career would have been a better selection.

Hack wasn’t among the top 5 QBs listed by Mel or McShay and dare I say Simms? Right?

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

That would be totally true if anyone in the QB room in 2016 was worth a shit. I was OK with a swing-and-a-miss at the time, although I grant you that a second rounder was too rich for a risky pick that would probably have been available two rounds later. We would care less if this was a Tajh Boyd-level selection.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That player was Mahomes or Watson

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

You don’t fix a bad QB room by adding another bad QB

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Mac picked him, but what scout was in his ear suggesting it was the right idea?! Hopefully that guys out of our building by now too.

Since1969 likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I've heard fans on here recently saying "If you see a QB you like, YOU DRAFT HIM. You DON'T gamble, trade down, hope he falls to a later pick, blah blah blah, QB is too important to play games with".

Of course they were referring to using #2 on Wilson/Fields w/o trading down, but the logic holds. I'll bet those same fans were upset Mac 'waited' until the 2nd round!

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Assuming any of those fans thought he was a first round talent and considering most didn't think he was even a second round talent, I highly doubt what you are saying is correct.

8. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I would love to say that my jaw dropped in horror. Unfortunately we have seen this movie play so many times over.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

My reaction was "Who?"

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I liked the pick. Take a 2nd round risk on a QB with high upside if he could figure things out. Unfortunately, he never could. I trusted the Jets' front office must know more than I do. They clearly did not.

When you don't have a franchise QB, I don't mind taking chances on QB's. I felt the Jets should have tried even more. Not taking Watson or Mahomes to wait things out with Hackenberg was the true sin.

11. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Typical Jets wasted pick. He wasn't even a good player in college. He was one of the worst QBs in the Big 10 for two seasons.

papapump likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah I was rooting for Mac, was initially a fan but his drafting really killed us. Hackenberg was projected 4th or 5th round pick

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like the draft selection of Hackenberg. For many of reasons. It wasn't long ago (coming out of H.S) where this kid was the Nation's number one college recruit. During his first & only season under O'Brien as a Freshman he played exceptional while having a true #1 in A. Robinson. Not to make excuses but during his next two seasons under center (after losing O'Brien) he was then surrounded by an awful offensive line with unpolished WR's. I don't believe playing for a Penn State program in which was being punished by the NCAA helped matters either. He stuck with it, played through less than ideal situations and showed lots of heart (never once walking away/quitting on PSU's program). Most young kids would've wanted out. IMO he's as mentally tough heading into the NFL as they come. No college quarterback got smacked around as much as Hackenberg did; he got up every time. As far as physical features go he has it all. Great size with a very strong arm. Stands tall in the pocket. Has
    an excellent play action and can literally make all the throws due to arm strength. His mental IQ for the position is what you look for. Has experience within a pro style offense. Has read opposing defenses at the L.O.S while being able to audible out of a play pre-snap. Knew his playbook & understood the X's & O's aspect of the gane. This Hackenberg kid has a mind for the game which is key if given the opportunity to work with Chan Gailey on a daily basis. Improved foot work out of the shotgun is a must but overall I like this pick there late within the 2nd round. I'm not asking for him to start as a rookie, but between working with a Gailey, quarterbacking behind an NFL offensive line, having multiple weapons in Marshall, Decker, Forte and a deep threat in D.Smith etc and i wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance sooner rather than later. This is just my thought process/opinion but at the end of the day i believe our front office & coaching staff walked out of the draft with a young prospect in which has a load of potential both physically & mentally. Can't wait to see how he competes during this upcoming QB battle come camp.

westiedog1 and K'OB like this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Did you go to the archives to dig up this post? Was it yours?

15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Another alpha-dog DWC special, I think.

The Waterboy likes this.
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a terrible pick. Hack was one of the most recruited QB's out of HS. He had a successful year at PSU under O'Brien, but couldn't adjust to Franklin's system thereafter. Drafting a QB in the second round doesn't have the same financial risks as drafting one in the first round. You can afford to have that QB sit on the bench and learn with little downside risk. If he pays off later, then you're good. If not, you can cut him without greatly impacting the cap number. At the time, the Jets were entering the second year of Fitzpatrick and had high hopes for a good season. The Jets took a gamble on Hackenberg and lost, it wasn't a big deal other than they still needed to find a future FQB. I don't consider him a bust, but if he had been drafted in the first round it would have been a different story.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Upset because I wanted Brissett or Cook a few rounds later. I was curious why we drafted Hack in the 2nd when I had a 6th round grade on him.

Br4d likes this.
  19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I remember when Hack was the next manning, he lit it up freshman year. Something was missing with him? Maybe shell shocked, got his confidence ruined. But he couldn’t even make it as starter in fledgling league. Whatever it was, he had the arm talent fit sure, but couldn’t put it all together. What a shame, he looked like he had tremendous potential. But couldn’t fulfill. Macc took the risk. And it failed. And I really didn’t care for Macc, but must have had some scout intel to pull trigger in 2nd. I can’t fault picking him, but that early was a surprise. I was hoping it worked out, but just didn’t. I think I hated the smith pick even more, high second, for waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I admit I had high hopes for Hackenberg. I had seen him as a freshman and he did great, and it was well known that Penn St. had suffered in recruiting good talent after the sanctions so it wasn't obvious that Hack might've been a big part of the problem. Also, the new system he had to learn didn't help. But clearly something wen wrong once he came to the Jets. Did he somehow lose all the talent and ability he had shown as the #1 recruited HS QB, and what he did his first year at PS? Or was it a case of the Jets just failing miserably at developing him? I do think that Macc panicked because he believed O'Brien was going to take him before the Jets next pick, and that was just more evidence of Maccagnan's ineptitude as a GM. And the compounded that mistake by then passing on Mahomes and Watson the next draft because he had already drafted his "FQB". Hackenberg was a double whammy.

westiedog1 likes this.