Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

3 years ago Mac felt fortunate that there are multiple QBs worth picking at the top in an allegedly deep QB draft. So much so he traded up blindly to 3. In the end, he got the consensus top one. How did that work out?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hopefully JD does a better job putting a support system around the QB than Mac did. He certainly is in a better position to do so with the amount of draft picks plus the HC and CS being on same time line.

Whether he does or not remains to be seen.

legler82 likes this.
  3. legler82

Agree but it was more than just the support system it was the pick too.

4. legler82

Greeney has spent this whole week on Get Up trying to reconcile why so many people come on his show an tell him that he’s their 2nd best QB but projected to be the 5th QB off the board. Hasn’t got an answer that makes sense yet.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I'd rather get Stan Gable. He did bag Betty Childs after all!

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That herd mentality.. Get's em everytime.

barfolomew and legler82 like this.
  7. legler82

I appreciate Greeney pressing the issue. It’s funny watching the herd squirm trying to explain.

barfolomew and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He FiTs ThE sYsTeM bEtTeR

IIMeanDeanII and legler82 like this.
  9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson must be the most over analyzed prospect in recent years. I have read it all but I have seen a recent tedency of some people bringing his skin color as the reason of his sudden rise and I find this completely ridiculous. Although I agree that even today there is still prejudice toward black athletes as they are more easily labeled as problematic or with character issue for clearly no apparent reasons and that is clearly not fair.

But back on Zach Wilson, his skin color has nothing to do with his popularity among the NFL. There have been many cases of black QB selected very high in the draft (Murray, Newton, Russell) and I don't buy that crap that the ONLY reason he is that high is because he is a white QB. IMO if he was a black QB he would still be regarded the same.

Now moving on to his game, the kid is talented and his tape, even if you think it is against poor competition, is very impressive. He has great accuracy, he can make all the throws, he can handle pressure very well, he can read coverage, he can run and he take care of the ball. These are all key attributes to have a very long and successful NFL career. That being said, the hyperbolic comparison are getting on the nerves of his detractors. He has a very high floor but I don't think he will become a top 5 QB. I see him more in the Baker Mayfield/Kyler Murray/Russell Wilson tier.

Now that being said, he is clearly better than Darnold and he might become a successful QB with the Jets.

Is he special? A future HoF? Most likely not.

Could Wilson turn this Jets franchise around? Hard to tell, I can see him becoming a similar player as Kyler Murray with Arizona, make them a bubble playoff team. He is very elusive and he can be productive early on but nothing that will blow your mind. Can he lead us to a Superbowl? Why not, if Russel Wilson did it, I don't think he could not do it either.

What could go wrong? Injuries, not being able to overcome the New York pressure, getting surrounded with no talent but other than that he seem quite safe to me. He will never be the most exciting but he does have many great attributes and hopefully the Jets surround him with talented players.

Now on Justin Fields. The people that love him cannot believe he is dropping out of the top 3 and maybe even the top 10!! Rightfully so, the guy is a physical beast and he has showed on the biggest stage that he can win games. Well, my explanation will not satisfy many Fields fans and I agree with your frustration to be fair. For all his great traits like his physical attributes, his strong arm, his accuracy and his competiveness and character he has 2 major flaws that put him more of a risk to succeed in the NFL at least early on.

1) His delivery, he has the arm talent no question and he has arguably the best deep ball accuracy in all football but he need space and time to unleash his bombs. You rarely see him throw balls with just a small flick of a wrist. That issue might not be apparent at all in college football because he has more space and time to operate but in the NFL it will be harder to unleash his bombs if he cannot have the space. I also believe eventually he will find a way to figure it out but it seems like many teams are worried about it too.

2) while it is quite similar to point 1, this is a bit more on the mental aspect of it but it takes a lot of time for him to release the ball. More than 4 sec on average to be exact. Compared to the QB that took the most time last season in the NFL Jalen Hurts with a whooping 3.11 secs and it is quite clear he will have to fix that in the NFL. But what is more worrisome is the fact that he takes even more time when blitzed to release the ball. That is also another red flag because it means he has harder time reading the blitz and exploit the weakness in the defense. That was apparent in the 2 games which he struggled the most against Indiana and Northwestern. He will have to learn to release the ball earlier and read the defense prior to the snap to exploit the weaknesses and increase the speed of his thought process.

In general, the sky is the limit for Fields if he can fix these aforementioned issues. You will rarely find another player like him. His arm strength is special and his athletism is another dimension.

That being said, the only reason I can find for teams to overlook his talent is that they don't want to take the time to develop him and maximize his surreal potential. They want results now and are not willing to take chance on him. I find that ridiculous personally as you could hardly find another player like him and if he pan out he could easily be the most explosive player in the league.

I am not a hater and I will support Zach Wilson if he is drafted by the Jets but I believe that the Jets will eventually regret passing on Justin Fields if he can figure everything out.

#1929 Kryoptix, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    HomeoftheJets and Noam like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think anyone argued that he's falling because he's black, but in agreeing that there's prejudice against black quarterbacks proves the point that he's stigmatized as a slow processor as most black quarterbacks are.

Where did you get the 4 second stat from? Wasn't his time to throw when blitzed around 3 and change seconds?

I wouldn't say it's proven that Wilson operates well under pressure as he is one of the best protected quarterbacks coming out.

Good breakdown although I think the competition factor is a much bigger issue than it's made to be and I don't think Wilson's arm is nearly as strong as indicated. Lots of college football quarterbacks throw great deep balls. It doesn't really translate to the NFL because there aren't as many deep shot opportunities available by way of pressure and better coverage down field. His throws in college that looked easy down field turn into more 50/50 balls in the NFL.

When looking at a prospect I'm less concerned with the wow plays they make down the field because they all generally do it. Tua was one of the best deep ball throwers on a college field of all time and he struggled a ton as a rookie in getting the ball down field.

#1930 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  11. legler82

There’s some good analysis in there but can’t get pass the Wilson’s popularity is because he’s white part. I haven’t read or seen that narrative anywhere. I personally feel his popularity is largely due teams passing on Mahomes who I believe is half black. Plain and simple quick releases and platform throws are sexy. There’s definitely IMO some implicit biases (black, mobile/“running”, OSU’s QB history...etc.) impacting Justin Fields’ pre-draft narrative but I don’t believe the Wilson hype is because he’s white. Not one bit. Lastly, I completely disagree with the notion the Wilson has been over analyzed. If anything, he, Trevor, Lance and Mac haven’t been analyzed enough in comparison to Fields.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I completely agree with this but I really have no interest in defending Darnold as he was truly terrible last year. I do think though that the lack of support the two years prior plus horrible coaching played a big part in that.

I personally haven’t written off Darnold’s career yet and think he has a good chance to resurrect it in Carolina.

Jets did him absolutely no favors while he was their shiney QB prospect but did him a favor by sending him to a good spot that can help get his career back on track.

Brook! likes this.
  13. legler82

This exactly where I’m at. Mahomes, Allen, Herbert are all examples of QBs that teams regret on passing because they “figured everything out” as you put it. The upside on draft day and prior to was undeniable. I feel if you are confident in your CS, Fields is the pick. If you are anything less than that about your CS, you go else where.

14. College is not the NFL. Its about projection to the next level.

His throws float outside the numbers/over the top,he doesnt throw w anticipation & the strength of his game is his quick release & pocket presence. On top of that the very reason our team supposedly likes him is he fits in a WCO based offense.

I mean..do you think we’re about to see 1985 Dan Marino??

barfolomew likes this.
  15. legler82

I think he can throw with anticipation. As w/ most things Zach Wilson, this particular part of his game is over hyped but there’s enough there on tape to project that he should be fine in that area in the NFL.

No our Lord and Savior Chris Simms said we’re about to acquire Mahomes and Rogers like talent. Frankly, I’m excited.

K'OB and REVISion like this.
  16. He’s functional & can throw to a spot..but certainly not a strength of his game.

Kind of goes along w most of his attributes. Good enough not elite.

If QB supercedes every other position in terms of value & its the be all,end all..why are we content w a QB we know going in most likely doesnt have the ceiling to be a top 5 QB & in turn unlikely to compete w Top 5 QBs head to head?

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think a quick release can bail you out of a lot of situations and is the most underrated aspect of QB play. A long release makes you have to process quicker, you have to anticipate more and you need a cleaner pocket. It also leaves susceptible to the swipe on the pass rush. If he can clean up that release I would be all in on Fields but also think the release is where he gets his power.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  19. legler82

Some believe he has elite traits and higher upside than others in the class.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

cval likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.