Discussion for the 23rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

agree with you, since they did sign fa for defense

they have picks after round 1 to look at LB, EDGE, or more CB.

hit on another right tackle, center, and guard in that order.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

not bad. but, will they? we took a center once in the 1st round, and nick mangold was a great player.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One advantage to being a fan of a team with soooo many holes is you can say "Jets really need (insert any position)" and you will be correct.

#63 Footballgod214, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

I get all the "We need players who fit the system". But to be honest, no one really knows what our new 'system' is going to be. We have some clues, we 'think' it will be a Shanahan system, but it will be brand new with brand new players. It could turn out to be a hybrid that looks nothing like a Shanahan offense.

So Brooks idea of letting the system settle in and find itself b/4 drafting a ton a players is probably smart.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like Herndon but he's been injured so no telling how he's doing with rust. Kroft I doubt makes the team and Wesco is only good for blocking. This offense will be featuring the TE again so they will need some that they can rely on. Hunter Long would be good value but I would look at Brevin Jordan and Tommy Tremble both should be good value in later rounds. Jordan is a converted WR so he could be wreak havoc on a a linebacker or small safety.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. boozer32

They want to hit the ground running. The coaches know what system they will be running and I'm sure they told Douglas what type of players they will want for it.

7. Footballgod214

So what is 'the system'?

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah I like jordan too. haven't looked into tremble at all so can't judge him.
    Herndon had his rust year in 2020. he started to come on at the end of the season though which is a good sign. the talent is there and his rookie year was great. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a mid round TE at all to pair with herndon. wesco can play the FB role in this offense. kroft is iffy but i'd keep him over griffin who needs to be cut. he looked awful in 2020 as in broken down and slow and useless.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

We're not a contender in 2021 anyway. The top priority is gonna be putting the new QB in a position to succeed. I'd like to see us go some combination of OL/WR/RB/TE with our next four picks.

10. boozer32

We still need a CB with some good cover abilities. I think 2nd round there might be a few good ones like Stokes or his teammate Campbell and the big corner from Syracuse Melifonwu will be there in the 2nd. Then there is a huge drop off.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we've spent 2 offseasons upgrading those positions.
    becton, GVR, clark, lewis, Feeny, kroft, Wesco, mims, davis, cole, mcgovern, fant, coleman, ty johnson.

meanwhile we are swicthing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and have no Lbers, haven't gotten a CB in a while. safeties are weak too. our 1st pick will be a QB. after that expect a lot of back 7 on defense with maybe 1 o-line , 1 WR, and 1 RB in the mid to late rounds.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

This... Jets are said to have interest in Teven Jenkins. He would likely start at Guard and move to RT in a year to bookend with Becton...

Nasty, nasty player + my top target for 23.

FinnishJET, NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Bateman
    IOL
    CB

barfolomew likes this.
  14. boozer32

The Kyle Shanahan system. The staff where most of the Jets coaches came from. Saleh (have you heard of him), LaFleur a Shanahan disciple. I'm seeing a trend.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

23rd pick IMO is the most interesting and probably toughest pick of them all.This is IMO the pick where JD will believe this player will provide the most and immediate impact at this position that is badly needed, not seeking depth. So forget WR and OLB. I am thinking a CB, and OL here with the 2nd pick. A RB is a possibility but it is pretty deep and can get a good one in 3rd rd. I would def be opened to trading down for extra high end 2021 draft picks.

This is to me the intriguing pick of all.

16. Footballgod214

ya, most likely. Especially the CB. If we were looking for a tackle, then maybe that too, but good guards are routinely found further down. If there's a really good DB prospect sitting there at 23, he's our man. Then look for Guard in the 2nd, with the 3rd round picks a RB (or TE) and MLB. If JD can hit on these first 5 picks, QB, DB, Guard, RB/TE, MLB our team would be lightyears ahead of 2020 team.

You don't post a ton on here but when you do, you usually have some good stuff to add. You should post more often. You know, help me drown out all the idiots on here!!!! JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING!!! :D

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Great topic as always GaC

The 23rd pick and the 34th are almost a collaboration in my mind. I see it as 2 groups of players and based on how JD feels the board will unfold I think he will adjust accordingly.

23rd Group
    Jaycee Horn CB, Najee Harris RB, Greg Rousseau DE, Zaven Collins LB/OLB, Teven Jenkins OT

This is the group that I feel all have the potential to be there by 23 if they slide a bit and are studs at their positions. Instant starters across the board.

34th Group
    Tyson Campbell CB, Travis Etienne RB, Creed Humphrey G/C, Alex Leatherwood OT/G, Carlos Basham DE

The second group has massive potential as well and are most likely starters day 1.

GasedAndConfused and MDJets like this.
  18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

aww shucks. Thanks. I post when I can. I admit while I watch a lot of football and follow some players here or there, there s a lot I don’t know about football. Believe it or not Football is not my top sports. I love watching it though and learn a great deal learning from you and everyone here. Doesn’t hurt to listen and read few things here and learn something.

so tell me why a MLB? I thought we have 2-3 deep? No?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

First choice is OL, but there are a few options at CB, LB and Edge that if they fall, you likely can't pass up on.

Frankly, I'd be ok with doubling up on the OL at 23 and 34.

FinnishJET, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  20. Footballgod214

JD did pretty good with FA on the pass rushers and interior linemen. But we're switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 that uses a different kind of LB. If CJ Mosley were coming back to anchor the middle, the QB of the Defense so to speak, then we'd be a bit better off, but chances are he'll be cut/traded soon. So we need a new, top, field general to call plays and get his men in the right spots.