The last time the Jets WON IT ALL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe he was a Jets fan? ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

By the way, where's Champ??? Did he pass away or something? If so I missed it.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

TMI

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

They stopped the draft the year before my year, and I had number 318 anyway, so I wasn't in danger. A friend of mine (who I'm still good friends with) was the year before, the first year they ended the draft, and his birthday was numero uno. The only lottery he ever won, but he literally dodged a bullet.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  5. endydee

endydee Active Member

So you were like what, 27? Just kidding of course. LOL

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  6. keepin klecko

keepin klecko Member

I saw it on my uncle's brand new color TV. He was a big jets fan, season ticket holder and would take me to all the games.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Love these stories (well most of them). Not born until '74, so no stories from me.

I hope I'm gonna create some of my own one day, though. It'll involve waking the neighbours up, that much I know.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I still have a problem with the thread title 'The LAST time', the fucking 'ONLY time' is the real truth, last implies there have been multiple occasions, which, unfortunately, for us snivelling wretches, has not been the case.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I was born before the Pearl Harbor attack, so I am old. Been a fan since the Titans, and even before that. Of course I saw the game on TV. 1969 was a great year, The Jets, Mets, Knicks, moon landing. I went to a Mets WS game (cant remember which) and a Knicks playoff game. The NY sports teams victories created a great feeling in the city and I believe were directly responsible for John Lindsay's reelection to mayor.

Although I have seen maybe 80% of the Jets games in all these years, very few highlights standout in my memory. What does stand out is a few of Mickey's home runs ( as an avid Yankee fan I followed his entire career), listenening to a tinny radio with a bunch of my friends in the park (we just got out of school) to the eigth inning of Larsen's perfect game and running home to catch the end of the game, watching Oscar at the garden score 56+ while he was in college, watching Gayle Sayers first season on TV (I was in the midwest at the time), watching on TV Thomson's home run to beat the dodgers and running to tell my friend, who was a giant fan but was in some kind of after school class, about it, my friends and I giving each other high 5's when we found out Bradley signed with the knicks, and many other sports moments. The sad thing is, so few Jets highlights. As a passionate Jets fan I find that sad. Other than the 69 win, and the early 80's defense (the sack exchange)not much else stands out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Me U I still get POed when the Colts were successful in recovery of the off side kick :mad:

11. championjets69

12. championjets69

No U R incorrect the moon landing took place in July 1968 SB3 was won on Jan 12, 1969 U should google historical facts is mt ho :)

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Champ gave someone a smiley face. I took a screenshot in case it was a typo.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  14. K'OB

U R GR8 :mad:

but is he trolling with the 68 moon landing comment?

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i saw the actual game live. never forgot the feeling.

even better was a horde of friends from high school calling long distance from college to express the shock.

they bought into the nfl bullshit from the likes of tex maule. they apologized for all the pre game mockery by them.

i still say, to this day, that if lombardi packers had not gone to the first two games, the AFL would have won all 4 of them.

the NFL today has tweaked the rules to favor offense, copying the AFL of the 60's, who knew that people want to see plenty of scoring.

they stopped referring to the AFL as mickey mouse after super bowl 4.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think he's talking about the Kubrick version.

K'OB likes this.
  17. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Sorry, but you are incorrect. The moon landing was on July 20, 1969. Apollo 1 disaster was in 1967. Apollo 8 orbiting the moon was in 1968 and moon landing was in '69.

As for the Super Bowl, I was born in that strange zone of the number of the game being one ahead of my actual age, but yet still being alive for the first Super Bowl. So even though this years Super Bowl will be LVI (56), I will be 55 when the game is played, yet I was alive for Super Bowl I. (Born July 1966).

#57 mrgoose, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. K'OB

Ah, not seen it, before my time lol obviously I have seen old movies but for some reason, not this one.

19. Witz55

Witz55 Member

I was 12 years old on that infamous day and was returning back to my grandparents house in Carteret, NJ after playing a CYO basketball game in the New Brunswick Armory. Got there to see the second half of the game and watched it on a black & white console tv in their living room. I was just amazed at how the Jets were able to win this game after being such underdogs and beating the big bad Colts. A great memory and one which I hope to have again before I am 6 feet under!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Many hero's in that game besides Namath, Sauer, Snell, Herman, Hill, Rasmussen, Schmitt, Philbin, Biggs, Elliott, Atkinson, Grantham, Baker, Hudson, Beverly, Sample, Baird, Turner

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.