Panthers trade for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For Sale: Parachute. Never opened. Only used once. :)

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

That's like saying the Jets shouldn't draft another WR because him an Mimms will both wanna be our WR1 and paid like our WR1.

I don't think JD will draft Sewell at this point, but if he did then let Sewell and Becton battle it out. May the best LT win. The runner up gets to man the right side. No different than any other position group really.

TonyFtLaud and Murrell2878 like this.
  3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I have not read every single page so do not know if mentioned.
    My son’s first reaction was oh Sam is back together with Robbie A.

Thought never crossed my kind.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s a fine line, if a QB is taken with a high pick you know he’s going to be named starter at some point. Trevor doesn’t need competition he’s day one starter.

Why should Jets create competition when you know Wilson is going to be named starter?

I don’t think it’s insulation, I think it’s a clear message to team that they are going in a different direction and they want everyone on board.

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

LOL...

6. Footballgod214

Saleh will let Sewell give him the message ;)

7. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

It’s most likely Wilson, unless Jax somehow in all unlikeliness picks him or Fields #1. He fits all the checks on the checklist for the new offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Footballgod214

we got equivalent 2022 1st round pick, 7th-17th overall. Do the math....not that difficult. Stop with the 'we barely got a 3rd'. You should be happy for what we got, even if we got a lot more than you predicted.

9. Footballgod214

Ya, really funny how parallel we are with the fish. They got most of their windfall by taking a chance on Laremy Tunsil after the gas mask vid came out during the draft. Good for them I guess.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're grasping at straws. That value chart means nothing. They got a second, a fourth and a sixth.

bicketybam likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’d still manage to end up with the 2nd pick next year

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Competition. Hell no, there will be no competition. Jets are going all in with the second pick selection. All the forces from the organization will be deployed for him to be successful. No distraction, no change in focus, and above all no controversy . The whole leadership is on the hook for him to succeed. Competition is not in the cards. The last thing we need is give the perception of competition so the shit NY media can start another controversial BS storm. We need unity and focus for once.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One disappointing thing I would say about Sam is I feel he never embraced being the franchise QB of the New York Jets. I felt like Baker Mayfield instantly did when he ran on to the field against the Jets on that Thursday Night game. Lamar too with the Ravens. Josh Allen developed year after year into the franchise QB of the Bills, but it took a little longer. Buffalo fans instantly embraced him though.

I felt Sam should have been a bigger star and leader as the #3 overall pick. He was always too quiet. That works if you win, but looks bad if you lose, and Sam lost non-stop.

Hopefully he has learned from his experience in New York and can improve on his flaws in Carolina. I think he can.

14. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I’ve read that Sam was the least of the Jets problems. Taking the roster into account I’m trying to think of moments where I saw a spark from him where I thought bad team but he’s got it. Those moments were very few and far between. He seems like a nice man and I wish him well.

15. Footballgod214

I think you're right. JD isn't about bringing a competition to the QB position, where the QB who gives us the best chance is named the starter. JD's all in on (Wilson), and like you said, will part the Red Sea to give (Wilson) the best chance possible to succeed.

Can you imagine if JD's hand picked QB lost the competition to a has-been rolled up vet QB?

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Sam will have plenty of chances to prove himself.

So will our new QB.

17. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Kudos to Joe Douglas for getting this big a haul for Darnold. It is sad knowing that the incompetence of the Jets organization means Darnold never had a fair chance, but that's in the past. The Jets aren't going to give Sam a second salary because he might get better with better coaching and talent, and Darnold probably isn't going to succeed without a change of scenery.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I doubt they trade back without having Darnold around. They have enough draft picks to fill out the roster, signed enough FA's (whether we like them or not they are still an upgrade ). It's not every day you get the #2 pick in the draft ahead of teams that have traded up already just to take what's ever left over at QB. The surprise to me will be if the Jags take Wilson and Lawrence falls to #2 ala when the Browns took Mayfield letting Sam fall to the Jets. So many are convinced the Jags are going for Lawrence and the Jets love Wilson that it just feels so Jets that this happens...again

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think Joe Brady is going to get Darnold right, but I also think Lafleur is going to build tons of chemistry with Wilson. I think this will be a trade that works out for both teams

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I also heard Schefter say Panthers initially offered just a 4th rounder for Sam Darnold. So the work Douglas must have put in was big time to get couple more picks, especially a 2nd

Borat and REVISion like this.