Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I don't believe it!!!! Thank you, JD!!!! Finally, no more posts about rolling with Sam.

This is incredibly sweet music to my ears! I just came in from working in the yard for the last 8 hours, bone tired and hungry, and the first thing I see when I sit down to eat is this!

This is at least an A just because JD did the right thing and moved on, and what he got in return. If those picks are used wisely then it become an A+. Hopefully, this is a win-win trade. I hope that Carolina will let Sam sit this year, work with him on his flaws, and he will become a qualty starter for them in 2022. I think that's the most that can reasonably be hoped for at this point.

I think that any of you who give this trade a bad grade now, or if Sam develops in Carolina are not thinking right. Just because if Sam develops in Carolina doesn't mean that he would have here. He will be removed from the pressure of playing in NYC and being the Jets' savior, of having to overcome being a flop, or preventing the Jets from moving on next year, or trying to win a good contract in FA next year. This is better for Sam. Brady's a good OC to work with him, he'll have a familiar target in Robby Anderson, a familiar veteran QB to sit behind in Bridgewater.

#21 NCJetsfan, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not going to vote, simply because I don't know until I see what Sam Darnold does with another team.

The biggest aspect of this...

Is we find out who was right, who was wrong when It comes to, Darnold.

Was Darnold the problem? Or, did we fuck up?

We are about to find out.

If he flops for Carolina, this trade Is an A for me. If he does well and turns out to be successful, It's obviously not a good grade.

We are about to find out a lot In the near future on a lot of things.

3. NCJetsfan

Sam isn't going to turn out great. Getting a 2nd round pick next year is great in and of itself, but also getting two more picks? That's an A+ in my opinion.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I gave it a B. The Jets got the equivalent of a late 2nd early 3rd depending on how you slot the Panthers 2nd and 4th in 2022. Like the Jamal Adams trade the timing of the trade was poor. As with Adams he could have gotten more value if he did it earlier but like the Adams trade given the circumstances at the time he got good value. I do like that JD took future picks rather than a 3 and 5 this year. That is thinking long term.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You can't base that on his Jets time. The Jets sucked all three years he was here and that is not all his fault. This is a good trade and Sam being coached by real coaches will help him too. He's only 23 years old.

jetstopgun, westiedog1, FJF and 3 others like this.
  6. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

It was a good deal. I frankly did not think the Jets would get that much. Only problem is that if Sam turns it around it will be a wash.

7. NCJetsfan

I most certainly can. It wasn't all his fault, but he does share a good chunk of blame. I put it 60-40% or 65-35% Jets to Sam. This is a very good, if not great, trade for both Sam and the Jets. Probably not so great for the Panthers.

Seriously? You say he's only 23 years old as if I don't know how old he is. Please.

NYJetsO12 and barfolomew like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This was Sam's Trade, not Watson's, hand jobs not included.

Seriously though, this exceeded my expectations. I was thinking 3d, hoping for late 2nd during the draft, but to get 2nd, albeit next year, but I prefer that and 4th and 6th than just straight second this year. Amazing job by JD!

9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You must feel a weight off your chest

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Now Jets are guaranteed to pick a QB - which means NC will remain a Jets fan!

NCJetsfan, Brook! and Noam like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Look how many QB failed until the light came on later. Testaverde, Bradshaw, both Mannings. Darnold had lousy coaching and one year he was forced to tank. Worst he had lousy talent around him. Nobody could have won under those conditions at TWENTY THREE YEARS of AGE. Oh, and let's not forget losing a few games of playing due to messing around with skanks and catching mono. But he's gone wish him well. Now let's see if the Jets can finally solve the QB position.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We have 21 picks in the next 2 years with 7 in the first two rounds.

It is hard to argue with this trade

Leicester Jet, dawinner127 and Brook! like this.
  13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good return. Pissed about the trade. Back on the merry go round we go

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's exactly where Aikman was after his third year. Only difference was Darnold didn't have an Irvin or Emmitt

papapump likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The effusive JD praise and knob slobbing is over the top.
    This is quite the honeymoon phase for a guy how hasn't improved the roster yet entering year 3 of his contract.

I still like him, but he hasn't been without mistakes, and not every move has been genius.

stinkyB, papapump, Noam and 2 others like this.
  16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

They'll be out in droves to fire him after next season

stinkyB likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'll give it a B+, borderline A. I would've preferred the 2nd and/or 4th round picks be this year to help the rookie as much as possible but I'm very pleased about the total compensation.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. I’m not as down on Sam as most. I think he was completely destroyed by Gase. I also think he will do very well if not great in Carolina. But we needed a change and so did he. So to me the trade was excellent.

Attackett, Noam and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's hard to grade this trade. So many factors. If we are just grading it on the fact that the Jets were clearly taking a QB at #2 overall, Sam was coming off a horrendous season where he went (2-10) and the Jets were moving on from him no matter what, then a 2nd, 4th, and 6th round pick is genius. A+.

In the end, we need to see how Sam plays in Carolina, and how the Jets play without him. For today though: Good deal by the Jets.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I give it a B... probably the best right now, if they kept him and he was bad in training camp, value would have plummeted. It was time to move on, drafting Wilson. And reset the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk