Sam Darnold 5th year option May 3rd deadline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Apr 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

You would think if we were to trade Sam it will be before the draft or at the draft. The team trading for him would probably want to exercise the 5th year option before May 3rd. I think this is the most likely scenario.

If we don’t trade him and we draft Wilson do we still pick up his 5th year option? Probably not.. I think it’s not necessary a bad thing to decline his 5th year option and have a QB competition in camp. All gas no brake theory and who knows if another starter goes down Darnold is a viable option on a one year cheap deal now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Can always sign the 5th year to keep more options available to the team next offseason.
    If he looks better in this system, he would have better trade value than he does now.
    Or maybe he even beats Wilson out for the job..

That's assuming they don't trade him before May 3rd of course..

Noam likes this.
  3. Rockinz

My guess is Denver for the 71st pick + conditional pick in 2022

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t for that. Can do better.
    Otherwise I’d let him compete this year, and keep options open.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Signing the option puts whoever does that on the hook for twice what he's worth now. It would make more sense to sign a new two year contract for just a bit more.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Seems like any draft pick for Sam would be based on how he does on his new team. May start out a 3rd, with performance it could get up to a 2nd or even a 1st, like if Sam is named MVP or wins a playoff game.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why would a team that trades for him want to activate an option that pays him twice if not three times what he is worth?

The Jets are not going to activate it even if they keep him and no team in the league is going to activate it and pay Sam 18-25m when in a seasons time they will be able to pay him under 5m unless he actually plays well and then they will go into talks on a new contract that will still be nowhere near 20m+ a season.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  8. Rockinz

From what I understand his salary this year is around 5 mil and the 5th year option is 18 mil. So a team could get him for 2 years for around 22 mil. That’s not bad considering the franchise tag for QBs is over 30 mil for one season. Bottom line I feel a team trading for him would want to make that decision and would want to do it before or at the draft.

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. K'OB

Well, a team right now could get him for 2 seasons for considerably less than that though, that is the point, they don't have to activate an expensive option.

If we trade him then do they have to honour this seasons 5m?

I am going to presume so, so they will offer him 2 years at 10m + maybe some of these bonus extra's if he starts to actually perform, nobody is breaking 20m on a 2 year deal for Sam as it currently stands.

for example

The Jags signed former San Francisco 49ers quarterback C.J. Beathard to a two-year, $5 million contract. The 27-year-old, who was taken in the third round in 2017, saw action in six games last season after starter Jimmy Garoppolo was lost for the season. He completed 63.5% of his passes for 787 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions.

Trubisky has agreed to a one-year deal with Buffalo for 2.5m for 1 year.

Is Sam currently better than these?

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Exercising the 5th year option at $18 million is certainly a gamble not only on Sam but that the new coaching staff and system can rehabilitate Sam. If they want to go all in on maximizing Sam's trade value they might want to consider picking up the 5th year at $18 million, letting him start the season as QB1 then trade him before trade deadline or next off-season. This may up his value but there is a risk that we could get stuck with his contract in 2022. But on the other hand, if Sam is going to realize good value because of a QB injury then does it really matter if we pick up the 5th year option as a team might find him more attractive as a one year rental just to fill in until their starter returns in 2022. In this case picking up the option might be more of a hindrance. Either way it is complicated and I am curious to see what the FO does. I think the odds are against picking up his option but I would not be surprised to se them pick it up.

The really nice thing about Sam is his attitude seems great regarding us drafting Wilson. He seems from all reports that he will be a professional team player even with Wilson being our QB of the future.

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think he is better than both of those guys by a good margin. i also wouldnt see the point to signing his option. its crazy how much that option is. it really makes it so teams want to commit or decommit before they get to that point. sadly we still have no idea what this guy is..

azhar80, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. K'OB

It is a fair point but again it is just a fleeting glimpse of the promise within, which is why it is so bloody frustrating, we could have hammered this draft if he was more consistent in doing the good things, can you imagine what we could have had trading back, all those picks to stock up on talent to help release the hidden treasure within.

God, I have just pissed myself off at the thought of it all, again.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, if Darnold had shown us more consistency, we almost certainly would not have the #2 pick.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  14. K'OB

Well, not strictly true that, is it?

You can have a good QB cough Watson cough and still only win 4 games and Darnold is not Watson level good.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

sorry... i agree with you it could have really been a franchise changing draft. now if we draft qb which we should we still have to figure the rest of the mess that were left with. and the clock starts ticking right away.

K'OB likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Decline the option. The odds are in favor of the Jets that even if they start Darnold they can get him at a price lower than the fifth year option. If he plays well enough to justify getting another year starting here, they can always resort to the tag but I think the Jets will place the bet on him not playing well enough to justify a $35-40 million tag.

azhar80 likes this.
  17. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

It feels like we been in this situation when we had Sanchez. We had tasted success with Sanchez and then we had a big decline. We drafted Geno and Sanchez got hurt and was basically done after the injury.

However not one time during Darnolds time did the Jets have we had a decent Oline (Sanchez had a top oline), nor WRs like Bray Edward's San Holmes, or Brad Smith. The Running game was excellent due to the great Oline. What has Darnold had to work with so far? Honestly he had the league worst talent and possibly coaching.

Fields, Wilson look like they are ready but many of us thought the same with Geno Smith. I bring this up to pump the brakes on the lovefest for the new guy. It's like a syndrome, where everyone looks better than the player we have because of the failure of the team. We have to be patient and I know jets fans have been very patient, and it should be the last thing to ask a hungry fan base.

Remember Darnold is 23 years old, and can handle the NY media, and lived through Gase regime. I say draft the next QB and see what we got in the new guy and the old 23 year and see who is ready to take this team to the next level.

#17 azhar80, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If JD is gonna keep Sam in any capacity, he's probably talking to his agent about extending Sam with a team friendly 3 yr contract (with incentives). If Sam works out and wins the starting job, having him under contract for 3 years would be a bonanza. If JD decides to trade Sam part way thru the year, he'd probably get a 1st round pick if Sam is under a 3 yr team friendly contract.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Despite some posters thoughts to the contrary, there is no major demand for Sam Darnold..I mean he would have been traded by now..right? And JD will trade him down the road with best offer

Picking up his 5th Year option would be a win for Darnold and his Agent. He simply doesn't deserve it

The guy has gone from hero to zero for me ...pay the minimum please if necessary

JMHO

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

His salary if traded prior to start of camp would be $4.77 mill. (Jets eat $5.19 mill)
    His 5th year option is $18.858 mill, 2022 QB franchise tag is $25.191 mill. The 5th year option is fully guaranteed upon execution. I dont think many teams are going to want to risk $19 mill on sam given his struggles and injuries. Better to risk $6 mill in the event he plays well.
    Edit:
    If traded after camp begins, jets also eat his $3,854,685 mill roster bonus and his salary would be $920 k.

#20 TonyFtLaud, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    NCJetsfan and Rockinz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.