Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Next year's crop is the biggest mystery since the draft started.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

There's so much uncertainty over next years QB crop. So I decided to consult my crystal ball. Mr Ball tells me there will be 2 QBs selected in the top 10, but neither will pan out.

Mr Ball went on to say there will be a QB selected with the 17th pick, who will go on to win 4 super bowls.

Hmmmmm.

Then Mr Ball turned Green, and there was nothing else.

NYJetsO12 and Ralebird like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Vinny Testaverde had one of the most elite arms I've ever seen and I think I saw that dude throw a pass to a line judge one time.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sam has a lot of fans in the general sports media. With regards to the gentsports media and the Jets, my philosophy is to always to the opposite of the consensus. They do not have our best interest at heart. When they are pushing for us to trade for Watson, he probably has a scandal about to drop. If they’re pushing for Wilson, take Fields.

#1664 legler82, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

and more knowledge than all the nfl teams who opted not to acquire him to this point too?

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

matt Ryan is aging and doesn’t fit this teams window at all.

REVISion likes this.
  7. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

My thoughts are that you don’t play poker very well.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. Until this franchise actually goes out & utilizes a draft to surround ANY QB w a legit surrounding cast ill remain extremely skeptical.

Too many thinking drafting a QB solves everything bc JD will immediately provide weapons for the QB to grow & succeed with.

This has been assumed w Post 2010 Sanchez, Geno & Sam. It has yet to happen. This team has routinely demonstrated the inability & often a lack of desire to address offensive personnel.

Now maybe this time is different.But it could easily end up being more of the same feeling post draft. Obviously Saleh wants to add some pieces to a brand new defense.

Until we actually see OL & skill be a true focal point the way DL & the back end have been..we should assume any new QB will NOT be properly equipped or provided weapons. Jets dont get the benefit of the doubt

9. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

McCown who was a Jet Qb and teammates with Darnold says Jets should stick with Sam.
    I'd love to see Sam vs Wilson/Fields. I there may be issues keeping Sam and drafting a Qb at #2 but if your one the guys who say QBs are the most important part of the team then this is the best way to proceed.

If there is an open and fair competition between Sam and Rookie Qb it will answer many questions for us. We will see if Sam can thrive in this new offense, or we will see a rookie QB basically end his starting Qb career.

Personally I'd love to see us go this route.

Here is the article and a portion from the article:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoo...uld-embrace-jets-return-with-a-rookie-qb/amp/
    The older quarterback said he’s seen no “negativity” from Darnold about the situation and suggested all could benefit from Darnold remaining on the roster.
    “Can it be done? Absolutely,” McCown said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com. “In my mind, if you can’t get the value now for him, that’s absolutely how you go about it. I wouldn’t even call it a competition. I would just say, ‘We’re going to go with Sam as the guy and bring Zach along.’ If Sam knocks it out of the park, we’ll re-evaluate where we are a year from now. Sam would embrace it and be helpful, but he’d also go out and work hard and try to make the most of the opportunity to play this year — and put it back on them and make them have to make a tough decision at the end of the year. I think, if that happens, really and truly, everybody wins.”

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think we're going to see the direction this team will betaking for the "Douglas Era" after this draft. If he doesn't show a commitment to building a good offense - whether by drafting a QB at #2, and/or adding to the OL and skill positions - I'll probably just fade away until such time - if ever - they demonstrate they're perennial contenders. Following the SOJ "Defense wins championships" recipe will almost guarantee failure, and I've had way more than enough of that.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The last I heard is word around the league is quite a few Qb needy GMs don’t think he’s any good and that’s why there has been little interest in him. His value has dropped so low that the Jets may get max a conditional 3rd round pick for him is what a few analysts were saying. That’s very telling. I just can’t envision any team wanting to take on a project Qb with so many mechanical issues. The Jets will most likely be the only team that could possibly give him a chance at this point.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Are you saying that you believe the media sources pushing the Jets to trade for Watson were somehow aware of the sexual assault scandal and rather than simply break it and get the scoop, they colluded to keep it a secret just to screw the Jets over?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Nah it’s not that nefarious. The consensus shit just never pans out for the Jets. Adams & Leo were “the best players in their respective drafts”. Bell was a no brainer.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

IMO the issue with those three players was less that they didn't pan out and more that Mac had no business investing two top 10 picks and a big free-agent contract in a strong safety, an interior defensive lineman, and a running back.

REVISion likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And an injured, sorry excuse foe an OL who didn’t do shit for us after a very lucrative and way overpriced contract.

Quinnenthebeast likes this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Jets QB play, oline, and pass rush has been basically horrendous for the majority of the time since 2009-2010, the last time we were any good.

Pass Rush looks to be atleast average with upside at the moment, and now the Jets need to finally fix the other 2 pieces. We can obviously make improvements at other areas but the main focus needs to be on oline regardless of what they decide to do at QB.

I don’t understand not making more of an effort in free agency when our guard positions are basically dire right now. They better take it seriously in the draft.

ColoradoContrails, REVISion and LAJet like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

It still makes me mad until this day that he ignored offensive line for so long. They were worst or 2nd worst in the league in most categories. His stupid philosophy of waiting on offensive line and getting value late was dumb since it was so poorly executed. What really pissed me off was when he took Nathan Shepard after drafting Darnold in 2018. Like you just got your franchise QB and your offense sucks, we had no business going defensive line (again) there.

19. NCJetsfan

20. NCJetsfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.