Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I find this hard to believe.
    We'll find out if the 2019 guys are any different.

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan's contract is 28 million cap hit 2021 and 48 million in 2022. No thanks.

SOJAZ and Brook! like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not really what I want, but I could live with this.

Brook! likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dang it. Sorry. I take it back. Also just checked. He is 35 years old soon the 36. Pass. Move on. My apologies :)

REVISion and azhar80 like this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

They are taking Fields imo

6. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

And Isiah Thomas thought Eddy Curry and Stephon Marbury were championship-caliber players worthy of giving away multiple first round picks.

Some "wanna be's" on this site are very knowledgeable, much more so than Bart Scott.

Bart Scott most likely knows Sam Darnold. He also goes onto say that if we keep Darnold and trade down to acquire a boatload of picks, it might be more attractive to someone like Russell Wilson or Watson. True, but then you just told us, Bart, that Sam Darnold is in your opinion a franchise QB.

Even someone like Bart who deems Sam a franchise QB is looking to dump his ass for someone else.

NYJetsO12, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Lol so Bart Scott is now the final word on anything NFL?

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Just my two cents on this whole "The Jets are split on Darnold vs. Drafting a QB" thing...My spider-sense tells me there's no split, that everyone is committed to drafting a QB/Wilson and that this is just a contrived message to try and maximize a return for Darnold on a trade. Not to say that I don't think some in the Jets org like Darnold, just that I find it highly unlikely that there's a "split" to the point that there's a group advocating to keep Darnold and I'm a Sam guy...I think what's going on here is that despite any calls from other teams, JD hasn't seen anything he likes and is trying to drive interest by showing other teams that the Jets still value Darnold...Ultimately, I don't think that will have any bearing on anything as it seems everyone in the NFL knows the Jets are drafting Wilson...so I think the Jets will trade Darnold for max value no later than the draft just have no idea what "max value" is for Darnold right now...think we'll find out in a few weeks though...

Also, I think a sticking point is that no team is going to gamble that Darnold is going to come in to be their QB1/lock starter for the 2021 season...I've always thought that any trade will be from a team (like Pittsburgh) where they have a good starter and will let Darnold learn/develop a bit more to eventually take a starting job in 2022, when the $$ comes due. Darnold just has no work product that would make any team without a locked in starter say "here's our #1 for 2021 and we're in good shape"...his value would be to a team that says, let's take a gamble on this kid's talent and previous poor coaching/talent around him and think we can turn his value to us into more than we're going to give up in a trade. I don't see Carolina as an option here...I do see Pitt as the best combo of what I just mentioned or possibly Denver, if they can get him cheap, to compete with Locke for the job etc...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/04/jets-split-on-quarterback-decision

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post!

My only possible disagreement could be that Carolina has Bridgewater under contract so they could be an option. They could let Sam sit and learn, work on his issues this year and replace Bridgewater next year.

I don't know about scheme fits, but in terms of teams where they have a veteran QB who will be the starter this year, and could have interest in bringing Sam in and trying to fix him, the following teams could be possibilities. In addition to Pittsburgh, Seattle could could be a possibility. We know that Pete Carroll liked Sam. Tampa Bay could be an option, but I have no idea if Arians has any interest in Sam. Minny could let Sam sit behind Cousins. Detroit could be an option. Atlanta could be an option.

10. NCJetsfan

They should, but don't forget that many football players are not the brightest minds, plus they are a fraternity of sorts. They take up for each other and are reluctant to speak badly of another member of the "fraternity."

#1650 NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people better at player evaluation than Bart Scott who disagree with him.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

LOL

13. NCJetsfan

Antonio Cromartie is on Twitter supporting Sam too. That guy can't even remember his kid's names, and we're supposed to take his word that we should stick with Sam?

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  14. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

LOL

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/offensive-line/

I see about 6 offensive linemen that were available and affordable plus better than Feeney. Suppose his targets are not there during the draft? Plus the Jets have some other holes that need to be filled through the draft.

16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

We are in a tough spot with Sam. New OC, new head coach. It usually takes a qb at least 1/2 season to become totally comfortable with a new system. So if Sam throws 12 tds and 10 ints through the first 8 games and then balls it the last 9 games Say 16 tds and 6 ints. Huge improvements for Sam. It would still be worst than Mitch Ts stats. Sam is the hot girlfriend that is a total headcase, you know you need to move on, But she is hot and might change. They never change.

17. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Carolina probably already wants to trade for him.

JD is going to hold out for the haul of a lifetime trade down from #2...until the last possible moment - then deal Sam.

Darnold back with Robbie and a legit running back. only team that makes sense.

18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

JD is seriously in the hot seat for what Miami got for the #3.

You’re saying Zach Wilson is worth all those picks. I doubt any current NFL Gm believes that.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting.

I won't comment on keep/trade Satan Darnold, but i'll post a few observations after watching that film:

1- wow....I'm amazed at how complex every play is with SO much going on. I can see why QBs do better in year two of a new system, and how important preseason is when all this stuff is being learned.

2- every play has serious 'read the defense' going on. QBs gotta take the play call, hope it's burned into his memory bank, then visualize the play call against what he sees from the D. Make adjustments to the play, or in his own head decide where the defense will be the strongest and throw to where he has a chance.

3- I can see why a rookie QB benefits by sitting a season watching and learning all this going on. His head HAS to be swimming. This is stuff he never dealt with in HS or even college. Some, a little, but no where near the NFL level complexities.

4- you can see how a D HC like Belichick or Rex Ryan can fuck with rookie QBs, mixing up and disguising the coverages, baiting the QB into making the wrong read/throw. Heck, even vet QBs can get crossed up by a good D scheme.

5- when we evaluate these rookie QBs, this is why it's so important to pick the 'heady' one, the guy who can process all these plays, defenses, reads, etc in and instant. You can see why NFL QB is the toughest position in all of sports, and it's almost all mental. By that I mean ANY QB who's gotten to this point has the physical talent to throw the ball on a rope 40 yards. It's everything else that's soooo important, and it's almost impossible to measure ahead of time.

that's all!

ColoradoContrails, Borat and Ralebird like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Where does that put SF then? They absolutely traded up that capital for a QB. Why would JD be in the hot seat if he wants a QB?

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.