Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On the subject of Kyle Pitts, he looks to me like they merged a bunch of qualities from Tony Gonzales and Antonio Gates and put them in a taller, faster body. His hands are insane.

There's a number of offensive players in the top of this first round I can see becoming elite, it's painful to see.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

This years FA signings has no impact on free agents lost next year. Whether or not Sam garners a compensatory pick would be based on his FA contract vs our FA signings in 2022

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Why do you insist that people who disagree with a QB at #2 don't understand the NFL? Your the type of fan that probably thinks Tom Brady just won the SB and his team mates helped a little bit. By the same measure I'm sure you think other QBs would have thrived with us where Sam failed. Because you over rate the position.

Yes QB is important, but its still only one position. Great teams win championships. QB is just one position on a great team.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

How did Tampa Bay do in 2019 again?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Shanahan system doesn't require high round RB's. Many of the top TE's in the game were found on day 2 or 3. I don't see a WR being taken until round 2 at the earliest given our situation.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Part of me almost wants them to take Etienne with the 23 or 36 as a future investment. Keep him for a couple of years, get what you can out of him, and flip him for a much higher pick than we spent on him, or a pro bowl level player at another position.

Denver did that with Portis and Tatum Bell, two 2nd rounders that they flipped for 2 Pro Bowl corners.

7. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

So, I haven't the time or patience go through all the posts on this debate, but for the sake of conversation; If they DO draft Wilson what is day one scenario? If Sam is still here does he start? If they send him packing is Wilson day one starter, and if so... is that wise?

boozer32 likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Try google search and put in worst free agency signing. I guess you're a fan of Feeney....yikes. The Jets had signings as worst in two separate pages. That takes skill.

9. boozer32

Competition let them duke it out. There is no guarantee Wilson will be the pick, plug, and play. Let them compete bring the best out and then start the winner.

#1609 boozer32, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    onefanjet likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone advocating "giving up on" Herndon. It's just that we can't reliably depend upon him I think we need insurance at the position.

Those of us who would like Pitts, it's much more about the player Pitts is, than the player Herndon isn't. Pitts has the talent to be a perennial All Pro TE, if not a HOFer. The question with him is that he's had a concussion already. Otherwise, he's tall, fast, has great hands, is great at YAC and a complete mismatch for the secondary. He's perfect for our scheme. I'd be happy with Brevin Howard or Hunter Long, however, and cut Griffin.

11. NCJetsfan

It would definitely be what's best for the Jets and Wilson, but not for Sam, but don't guess we can worry about that.

12. NCJetsfan

That's the $64 million question. I think most of us assumed that Sam would be traded. That's why I didn't understand not signing Beathard or Taylor in FA. Now, it appears that the plan is to keep Sam, start him, and let Wilson sit for at least the first part of the season. I supposed that JD could still trade Sam, and sign Nick Mullens or Alex Smith, although I don't know how we'd fit him (Smith) under the cap. I think it most likely that Sam is the starter, but they could decided to go with Wilson, coach Sam up, showcase him in preseason and then trade him. He'd definitely need to sign a vet in that case. It will be interesting.

NYJetsO12 and onefanjet like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know. I misspoke. I meant to say that I think that Sam will either be traded or the Jets will sign several FAs next year, and that's why they won't get a compensatory pick for Sam.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I'm not a fan of Feeney, but saying the Jets FA was a disaster or whatever adjective you used is totally off base.

#1614 NCJetsfan, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  15. boozer32

Douglas didn't fully address the offensive line and expecting competent starters from this draft is too much to ask. Wilson or Darnold should probably take out extra health insurance.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No idea. I love Herndon. I think a huge part of his lack of production was shitty QB play and horrible cosching. I think with a new QB and a new coaching staff, he could be very effective

17. Falco21

He won't be an all pro TE. He went to Florida. That doesn't happen with UF players

18. CotcheryFan

Did you miss this post?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. Falco21

I did because he's ignored on my end.

Would you like me to post the list of players drafted from Florida over the last 10 years LOL

20. CotcheryFan

I'm sure every big school has its share of NFL disappointments.

papapump and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.