Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's a decent chance Wilson and Fields are already better than Sam.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Like 5% of Jets fans still believe in Darnold. Apparently not much of the league believes in him either given the muted trade talks. Why should we believe in him?

Lon Chaney likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Honestly don't know why anyone engages in discussion with him. The other day he told a story about how Macc traded up for Darnold after the Browns selected Mayfield.

4. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Smart thing would be keep Darnold and let Zach Wilson sit for a year the OL is terrible if the Jets want ruin another QB then trade Sam but the smart thing would be let Sam take the pounding and Wilson sit and watch then next year after 2 good drafts and FA the line should be in good shape.

ColoradoContrails and azhar80 like this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Anyone that wants to use @ 2 on a QB need to join gamblers anonymus.

We already have two first round picks next year.

Trading down from 2 gets us an elite player (most likely a WR) that is essentially a sure thing, a high second rounder where we could nab a pro bowl player, another first round pick, AND more assets.

If we strike out with Sam we are likely to have a good draft pick next year and all of the ammo we need to get our guy if a QB doesn't fall in our laps via free agency or trade.

When the following season starts we will not be hoping that our second year QB (Wilson?) can put the team on his back and win with little or no help.

ouchy likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I see your point and frustration.....but please explain the Browns success with Mayfield drafted at # 1 and Josh Allen , Bills who was drafted at #7 ??

So drafting a Top 10 QB sometimes does work out!

The difference? Whos doing the evaluation of talent >>browns and Bills GMs did a great job but we had Idzik and mac (2 losers)

Now our JD gets to step up to the plate ...result ? cant be that bad imo

#1586 NYJetsO12, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That's not what they are saying. The FA the Jets signed are not the best. So the league may try and help them out cause it's so tragic what they did in free agency.

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Steve Young has the Jets picking Wilson which means his 49ers can't have him. A BYU thing I guess. If the league is still sure on Wilson to the Jets weeks from now what are these commentators going to report? Very dull lead up for the mockers.

9. NYJetsO12

Sorry guys ..What I am hearing is scary.

Did no one here on TGG hear of the saying "draft a QB every year until you hit on one"?? or maybe its just us old timers?

3 things will happen if we pass on the chance to get Wilson or Fields>>>we will suck; will suck some more: and probably suck for ever

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who are "they"? Since when has the league tried to help out the Jets?

11. NCJetsfan

I think they are already better. It would be hard for them not to be.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

+100 NC

My Prediction is your View will be a reality in les than 30 days

Your Posts do not always win the Popularity Contest on this Board lol..but imo being Correct is what counts;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Wilson / Fields may end up better than Sam in the long run, but Sam would have no problem winning the 2021 starting job over any of these rookies. After that, who knows.

azhar80 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Maybe others think I'm a jerk, but I don't read and post here to win a popularity contest. I speak what I think is the truth and the wisest, most rational course.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I was in the school of keeping Sam and Trading down but for all these posters who want Wilson the smart thing is to keep Sam and let Wilson sit. I've stated several times outside of Lawrence none of these QB are worth taking at #2 they all have red flags Lawrence is the only QB worth taking.

James Hasty and azhar80 like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I have no problem with that.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

If they let him go after this season it would depend on who they sign in the next off season, not this one.

18. NCJetsfan

True, but I'm thinking they will probably trade him, but even if not, I think they will likely sign someone several players next year. If Sam stays and plays well, the Jets may tag and trade him. I just don't see them getting a compensatory pick for him. I think it will be several years before JD is able to begin receiving compensatory picks. He has to build the team and depth first.

19. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I'm not ready to give up on Herndon. Why is everyone thinking hes done? He had a solid 1st year, a bad 2nd year but flashed towards the end.

So why the quick trigger in Herndon? Hes young, athletic, and fits the system.

20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

This is my thought too. OL appears like it will once again be challenging for worst in the league. I think JD is very smart, has a long term plan that requires patience from us fans.

I can’t say it’s easy though entering a draft with all the holes the Jets have particularly on oline.

They could also use upgrades at TE, WR, RB, CB, LB, EDGE... This team is so vanilla in their drafting of playmaking players on the offensive side
    of the ball. Tired of shitty Mid-round RB’s, TE’s and WR’s... they really need to draft and hit on someone like a Najee Harris imo... something for other teams to have to gameplan against...

Also I love Wilson + lean towards him being the pick but hard to argue that a SF trade haul wouldn’t have addressed a lot of holes + set this team up for years.

papapump, Lon Chaney and azhar80 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.