Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, he does need to learn to slide. Here is another massive shot, and he gets up unhurt. It is encouraging to see that he did take some hard shots (don't care what team, these were some big hits), including 6 foot fall to his repaired right shoulder and held up, but you do not want to take a lot of these in NFL. Interestingly, Zach actually never got hurt or even nicked up when hit in 3 years in college. His hand injury happened when he tackled someone after TO, and his own teammate fell on his hand. Fields actually got nicked up after being hit and played hurt in several games this year. I agree though that it is somewhat of a concern.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He would. I'm not too worried about Zack getting hit while he's in pass mode...it's when he pulls the ball down and takes off. He takes on LBers and what not getting that extra yard! Mark Sanchez had the same problem...Rex hired that baseball guy to teach Mark when/how to slide. Might have to hire that same guy for Zack.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For all you PFF heads out there.

[​IMG]

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they literally said the exact opposite last week lol
    also as i pointed out before 2nd read =/= 4th read

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Again, how many third and fourth read throws are college quarterbacks or even NFL quarterbacks getting to? It's silly to think they're consistently getting there or will ever ultimately have the time to get there in the progression before the pocket collapses.
    Cool. So the aggregate data shows that Fields has been doing it better for longer, no? Sort of puts to bed the first read only thrower angle. Don't forget that data includes games when Wilson faced the same level of competition as Fields.

legler82 and Big Cat like this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The more I read about him, the more I am excited with the pick.

We will see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't have the data for 2018, when Wilson had a really good rookie year, but last year I agree wasn't great as he was recovering from shoulder surgery. The improvement to this year with healthy shoulder and off-season to improve, to put up the the best PFF passing stat line not only in this category, but also ever is remarkable though.

I always said Fields was accurate and a great prospect, but in this area Wilson has been superior, at least lately. Aside from Justin's own quotes admitting he essentially goes to first and second read, the report McShea referenced, there is also a stat where he is the only one of prospects whose ball holding time before pass increases when facing blitz.

9. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

PFF is not to be trusted on QB data like this.

Fields can get past read 1. The problem is he is too late when his read is open.

AJW likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thankfully, it's a very good and deep draft for WRs. We could possibly get a very good WR in the 3rd or 4th round, and/or slot WR in the 5th or 6th round.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don’t think any QB in either the NFL or college throws to their 4th read anywhere near as often as you seem to think. Football is a 1-2 read passing game nowadays.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Dude come on. Now he didn't play well because he was recovering from shoulder surgery? Either his shoulder was recuperated by the start of the 2019 season and he was healthy enough to play or it wasn't. He said he was ready to go for the start of the year and he was cleared to play.

As far as time to throw, that stat incorporates the fact that Fields did in fact throw the ball, right? Isn't the statistic alluding to the fact that more time was bought to get rid of the ball in some scenarios? So if he has the ability to buy time to get rid of the ball, he gets dinged because it took longer using that stat?

For what it's worth, I don't buy into PFF's garbage for any quarterback or player but I know there's a lovefest over Wilson's grades from them so I figured I'd post one to see the reactions. :D

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

But how fast did he process those reads though?

[​IMG]

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  14. legler82

What can they be trusted on or should I just trust you?

15. legler82

Does this data tells you that OSU doesn’t have built in hots in their passing game and essentially utilize Fields escapability as their hot?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

NFL qbs HAVE to be able to get to their 2nd read (at least) 70-80% of the time. Most defenses take away your #1 pass option, forcing you to keep looking. Belicheck was famous for this.

But in college, your best WR is usually your first read, and usually wide open, or open enough to throw it there. It's almost the opposite in the NFL. Being able to progress through reads while under duress and still get the ball out to the right guy in under 2.5 seconds is what separates the qb from the fqb. And it's almost all between the ears.

Unfortunately, 90% of college game film is almost worthless for evaluating future FQBs, especially if they're playing weaker teams and 90% of the time their 1st read is wide open. It's the off-schedule, 2nd-3rd-4th reads that makes a prospect truly enticing. That's why it's so much easier evaluating a QB who played a tough schedule even if he didn't win many games (kinda like Mahomes at TT). The tougher a QB has it in college, the easier it is to see the 'it' factor.

17. GasedAndConfused

no because zachs 2019 season was a wash. actually makes it mor impressive he kept pace with an injured throwing shoulder and injured throwing hand in 2019. in 2020 when he was healthy he was better. also the fact he played with an injured throwing shoulder and hand shows his toughness as well

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Lance would be such a good prospect to blood in over the next season or two :)

legler82 likes this.
  19. legler82

20. GasedAndConfused

in college not really because your 1st read or 2nd is usually open. college QBs have it easy. the difference in the 2 if you watch is fields throws to wide open targets. wilson throws his WRs open and makes NFL "tight window" throws. fields hasn't put that on film. not saying he can't do it but If i have the choice i'll take the guy who I know can do it over the guy that maybe could but hasn't had to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.