Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I get the hype around Pitts. But trust me, its media hype. He will probably go top 10, but not top 5.

Cinn wont trade and will draft either Sewell or Chase (if we take Sewell).

Phily swapped down with Miami who now holds the 6th pick. I can almost guarantee you Miami will draft Devonta Smith. Detroit might take Pitts, depending on if CInn takes Chase, which means we have already taken Sewell and have no shot at Pitts. Otherwise Detroit will take Chase.

There is a possibility that Pitts is still there if we trade down to 8 with Carolina. With that said, JD may already have a deal in place with Carolina. Who knows, Pitts might become a Jet?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Whoever takes Pitts is royally screwed. Outside of Marcus Maye, every Florida Gator sucks balls in the NFL.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are you that guy that obsessed over Sean Taylor years ago?

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but the idea of passing on a FQB prospect, and passing on the opportunity to trade down for extra picks, to take a TE at #2 who has a concussion history is absolutley nuts! It defies logic and reason. It is ignorant of position value in the NFL. Even if Pitts didn't have the concussion history, it wouldn't be a good idea, but is even worse with his concussion history.

I love Pitts as much as anyone, and would love to see him on the Jets, so I understand how you could be so enthralled with him, but even #4 is too high to take him, and #2 is totally out of the question. You obviously have fallen so in love with him, that you've lost your sense of reason and rationality on this matter. You're not alone in this. Dave Gettleman did something similar in 2018. He fell in love with Saquon Barkley and took a RB at #2 instead of a QB when they desperately needed a new QB. Even if he didn't like Darnold or any of the other QBs, he should have tried to trade down and instead he refused to take any calls regarding the #2 pick. If he had taken Darnold, Darnold may have developed with the Giants' CS and the Giants would have been MUCH better off. But if not Darnold, then he should have traded down, or at least drafted a blue chip prospect at a more important position or even a position of great need on the Giants.

Other GMs have made the same mistake of falling in love with players, and it frequently has bitten them in the ass. Falling in love with a prospect is a recipe for failure. Yes, that prospect can be great, but if he doesn't play a premium position like QB, LT or Edge, then the value isn't there at #2, and the value plummets even more when you could trade the pick and garner additional early picks with which to build your team. Trading down and adding 2-3 additional 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd over the next 2-3 drafts would benefit the Jets more than Pitts could ever hope to, even if he never got another concussion and went on to a HOF career. The only position for which this isn't true is QB if one has the opportunity to draft a QB that one thinks can be a true FQB. Even staying put and taking an LT or Edge at #2 can be debatable if some team offers you a lot of draft capital to trade down. If your team is already very good, but has a glaring hole at one of those positions, and the player is a consensus blue chip prospect, then one could make a strong case for staying put and taking that player. Even then, if there's another player at that same position that one has rated a little lower than the player at #2, it may be wiser to trade down a few spots, acquire extra picks to further strengthen your team, and then draft that other prospect.

If Lawrence, Wilson,Fields, Lance, and maybe Jones weren't true FQB prospects, I'd have wanted to trade down this year and add extra picks, but they ARE FQB prospects and a few extra draft picks don't even begin to compete with getting a true FQB. We've seen how Philly tried to trade up, SF did trade up, and I guarantee that Carolina would trade up to take a QB if they found a team willing to trade with them. Staying put at #2 and taking Pitts or Sewell have always been awful ideas, and they will most likely continually be met with contempt and lack of respect by posters. Perhaps you ought to consider that you are wrong, and that doing this is not a good idea.

azhar80 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

No! I'm just trying to look at it like a GM and Coach not a fan.

6. NCJetsfan

Taking a QB at #2 is not "reaching." You are totally wrong and mistaken about that. Again, there is no "we" in this. That is irrational. We have a different GM, who has instituted a totally different way of evaluating draft prospects, and we have a new CS with very different ideas and schemes than previous CSs.

KY Jets Fan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I guarantee you that you are not looking at it like a GM.

8. Falco21

Let me know if you change your mind.

Would love to make a quick buck on this easy bet ;)

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When you use the 2nd pick on a QB that is a long ways from being NFL ready, and base the pick on his athleticism, its reaching in a big way.

hornblower likes this.
  10. hornblower

I get it but Wilson has had two shoulder operations. Anyway the Jets have three prime picks already so they can jump on someone they think will be an top player early.

azhar80, papapump and ouchy like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

No, Wilson has not had two shoulder operations. He had one on the labrum in his throwing shoulder in 2019. He needs one on the labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. The second operation Wilson had was for a broken hand (his throwing hand), and neither it, nor the labrum surgery obviously had any effect on Wilson's arm strength or accuracy in 2020.

As I've also said, I think Wilson is better than Fields, but if JD likes Fields better so be it. I like Fields a lot too and he has a ton of potential. He could wind up better than Wilson, or both could wind up perennial All Pro QBs, if not HOF players. I think they're that talented and have that much potential.

I totally agree with your last sentence. The Jets have three prime picks and five in the top 100 picks. They should be able to jump on several top players early that will make this team much better.

I like you and respect you, just think you got blinded by falling in love with Pitts. It's easy to do. I have fallen in love with players before, and in fact, when I was younger, did it all the time. Eventually, I learned that it was wrong to do that, and that falling in love with a player is not the wisest thing to do in the draft.

12. Falco21

You really are not, though.

Any GM, on this planet, would tell you that you are nuts if you think drafting a TE at #2 is a smart move.

Eric Ebron
    OJ Howard
    Evan Engram
    David Njoku
    Hayden Hurst
    TJ Hockenson
    Noah Fant

All first round Tight Ends.

Instead, let's look at Tight End's taken in the later rounds:

Travis Kelce
    George Kittle
    Mark Andrews
    Zach Ertz
    Hunter Henry
    Darren Waller
    Rob Gronkowski

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No. I’m ok with you holding on to your belief.

14. hornblower

OK. We can disagree. I guess whoever they pick we will be rooting for the Jets next season and beyond. Please no booing of Sam should he happen to be wear the green. And if Wilson is the one or should I say the second I will happily agree that the GM and coaching staff knows more than me.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. hornblower

He's not like any of those players. Don't get hung up on the TE stuff.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the larger point is that an elite TE does less for wins and losses than a good or very good QB. The QB doesn't have to be as good a QB as the TE is a TE for it to make more sense to draft the QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. hornblower

Not if you already have one that you believe in. This boards opinion of Sam will have no effect on the Jets draft. I think they will stick with him. Others don't. All the mocks have the Jets taking Wilson at #2. From what I hear he hasn't even had a physical. It's all speculation. One month to go.

18. NCJetsfan

I won't boo Sam, but I believe Jets fans in attendance at the games will if he plays poorly. That's one of the reasons why I think it would be better for him if he's traded.

19. NCJetsfan

No it isn't. QB is the most important position, and getting the most talented QB you can get is what is important, not some other position. The NFL has changed in that regard. The QB position is the most important that it's ever been.

Neither Wilson, nor Fields are a "long ways from being NFL ready." It would probably definitely help either to sit their rookie season or at least the first half, but either could start day one as well. The important thing again, is getting a QB prospect who has a true chance to become a FQB, and then doing what you need to do to ensure that he develops. You show that you don't understand the NFL today with your comments.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Joe Haden, Pouncey's, CJ Henderson, Carlos Dunlap, Keanu Neal, Fowler, DJ Humphries, Trent Brown, Gardner-Johnson, etc. ?

Silly generalization.

papapump, hornblower and CotcheryFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.