Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If JD trades down, he should try and get picks in 22 and 23. First, he'd get better picks, Second, this draft (more than most) is a crap shoot. With half the players to be drafted having opted out or their teams didn't even play, and Third, the teams that did play played really fucked up schedules. Not a lot to go on.

Bottom line GMs will have a lot more film to base their picks on in 22 and 23. For this draft I expect more 'busts' than normal due to the above.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Justin is a tough son of a gun that's for sure, but Zach is not made of glass either and can take a good hit. Took pretty big hits against Coastal for instance and snapped back each time. Also in the same game tried to jump over a player, but was hit in the balls with the helmet and then dropped from 6 ft right on that right shoulder and got up no issues.

4:20 mark:

3. Footballgod214

when Zack jumped over that dude....that was a GREAT!!! play for Zack!

But.....I'm afraid that's the attitude that could get Zack KILLLLLLLED in the big leagues. I love watching that, but if he was our QB, I'd rather he dipped out a bounds!

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don’t have any questions about his toughness. I question his frame. The dudes in the NFL are much faster, stronger and hit different than the guys at Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Navy, University of Texas San Antonio...etc.

Footballgod214 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The phrase of this draft cycle is for sure "off platform".

Borat and Footballgod214 like this.
  6. Footballgod214

We can thank Mahomes for that!

REVISion likes this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is what I keep coming back to with Fields. With VERY few exceptions (probably Lawrence), every college QB prospect needs to play faster in the NFL.

If that’s your only weakness, and it’s one all of your peers share, that’s probably a pretty good sign.

legler82, Brook! and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Fields takes those shots due to his own issues. wilson would have the ball out already. guys like brady and brees made a career off not taking hits. If fields processed the field better and got the ball out quicker you wouldn't even know he could take those hits because he would have never got hit. i like fields though as a prospect. I won't be unhappy if we get him. I think he'll be good. I just think wilson is better.

well I'll tell you what, how about you do a breakdown because i'm just not seeing what your seeing. Convince me fields is a better prospect. I have an open mind about things

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While it may make those QBs all equal in that regard, it's still not a positive, and many, if not most, college QBs aren't able to successfully play faster in the NFL, and those that do are often limited in other ways. Let's face it, it's pretty rare when a collegiate QB can process pretty quickly, make good decisions, and has a strong, accurate arm. That's one reason why it's so hard to find a FQB. Those guys have all kinds of mental and physical talent, and we don't have a system that can accurately assess them yet. Too many biases and archaic ways of looking at the QB position still get in the way.

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

What made me change my view on Fields is that his deep ball is very good & accurate. He is also a beast in the pocket. (Can take hits & extend plays)
    With these 2 traits processing speed is not as important. With time he will also learn to read defense and coverage better which will help him make decision quicker.

It seems like NFL teams want more the final product instead of the raw talent.

Brook! and Big Cat like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

Bingo. most coaches don't want to trade for picks years from now because they might not have a job to make use of them. most want instant upgrades especially those on the bubble. coaches with job security can make those trades.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

that has been said about many talented prospects including sam but more often then not it never happens and they wind up being a bust. Take daniel jones for example. people said he'll learn to protect the ball better. but 2 years in and 27 games he's thrown 22 INTs and has 29 fumbles. his turnovers are why the giants have sucked. that's 51 turnovers in 27 games. sam has 59 in 38 games. sanchez had 141 in 79 games.

it's not as easy to fix flaws as people think. and if you don't think things like that matter when your gifted look at brady. he's barely gifted talentwise but his work ethic is top notch and at age 45 he made is release even quicker then it was at age 30. when it was already fast. You want fields to re-learn how to throw the ball completely? thats not an easy task. he'll likely always have a slow release. on top of that the decision making process isn't easy to fix either. people are ingrained with natural ability to process data. just like a computer. we all have our limits. you can't make a slower processor work faster with sheer will. Peyton mannings mind was 2nd to none. it's why he was so good. his arm was average but a quick release and high intelligence made him one of the best all time.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sure is gut wrenching that we need a QB so bad that we must use the top pick to get one, along with the risk that goes with it. This year was ideal for us to trade down a bit and steal the best TE and best WR or CB. Boy there is some bad ass talent in those positions in this years draft. We could have instantly upgraded our weakest non QB positions with just this draft. Hopefully we can still hit on a few jewels.

NCJetsfan and JetsNation06 like this.
  14. legler82

It’s not his only weakness. I think most of his well documented flaws and/or areas of improvement have some validity. I just disagree with the severity being applied to many of them.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Learning to protect the ball in the pocket is a much different element to fix than others and it's a poor comparison because you're conflating two incomparable things.

#1335 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. legler82

Fields takes shots due to an offense built to take shots down the field, has poor blitz pick up and essentially no hot routes. He won’t be running OSU’s offense in the NFL. When he gets exposure to having to call protections and having hots, then we’ll know definitively if he’s a slow processor.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Looks like JT O'Sullivan throws a soft ball now to Zach after being a bit harsh before. Break down against North Alabama (I didn't realize this was even a team) :)

Still, some really special stuff there, though he does need to work on his footwork.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

it's a mental fix like the rest
    he takes shots due to a slow release and not seeing the play quick enough. that's why he was sacked so much too. he holds onto the ball.
    How many times have you screamed at sam the past 3 years to throw the dam ball already then he gets pelted or makes a bad read? probably a lot. I know I have. fields will be more of the same to start.

It really amazes me how many people want to replace someone with elite arm talent who couldn't get the mental part right with someone else who has the same flaws but less arm talent. Maybe fields fixes his, maybe, but wilson has elite arm talent like sam with a better processer then sam or fields. wilsons game is nearly flawless all things considered. his negatives were all off field stuff thats probably blown out of proportion

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not too long ago I admitted that it's almosy impossible for me to see if a QB is going through his progressions. I can't see his face/eyes, and you don't always have to move your head to see some of the options, and sometimes a QB will purposely move his head to draw defenders out of the area he wants to throw to. I'm sure that people who study QBs for a living, or who played QB at a hihgh level can see this, but I can't. So I have to rely on those experts to tell me, and I try to rely on former QBs like O'SUllivan, Jenkins, Simms for that.

All that said, whie it's an important skill for a QB, most college QBs aren't required to do this a lot. While Wilson has been praised for doing this well, legler pointed out for me that what he's credited for isn't always "reading", but using his head to manipulate defenders. That doesn't mean he isn't going through progressions, but probably not as often as people think he is.

As for Fields, he DOES go through progressions, but just not much beyond his 2nd option because he doesn't usually need to. It's something he'll have to get better at, but I have no doubt he will since he's shown growth in every other facet of the game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.