Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is that many felt Sam the prospect had the proverbial IT and that’s why they ignored some glaring red flags like turnovers, bad decision making and sloppy footwork. Till this day the draft experts that are willing to die on the Sam Darnold hill continue to cite that he has IT.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I felt very good about Sam. I was hopeful too but he just couldn't really get out of putting very mediocre performances. We didn't help him with the coaches and players but he looked lost.

He is young and can still catch lightning in a bottle with another team and be a decent pro, but is he a gamechanger or one to be a franchise QB type. I very much doubt it. He can turn into Tannehill or a Derek Carr for a team with strong pieces.

We are in a weird spot where he hasn't show enough to warrant $15-20 million a year and we were epic bad in 2020. Zach Wilson or Trevor seem to be a better prospect than Sam was and it is too hard to pass up.

Brook! likes this.
  3. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Somewhere Glenn Foley has cracked a smile...

NCJetsfan and legler82 like this.
  4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sam stays. Pitts is the pick.

James Hasty likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

At #2? That would be monumentally horrible. I like Pitts a lot as a prospect, but if they aren't taking a QB, the #2 pick needs to moved. It's the hottest commodity in the draft right now.

#1525 Lon Chaney, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it factor is pretty much when you have a gut feeling someone will be good but can't explain why

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Here we go again with this horseshit LOL

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to be the "it QB" for us until we build a solid core of great players for that QB to succeed with.

What the Wilson supports are guilty of is trying to will into existence the notion that we already have done that - or that it is destiny to accomplish it. They don't want to wait until its done, or use the resources to do it. They simply continue to insist its a forgone conclusion. That is a recipe for many more years of SOJ.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interesting take by Tim Jenkins. He did conclude he would keep Sam, but acknowledged there are multiple IFs, and it's a coach in him that wants to fix Sam as a challenge. For my money, even after this take, too many IFs in keeping Sam, and opportunity cost is too high. But if we still draft a QB at #2 and keep Sam as a back-up / initial starter, I would not be opposed.

P.S. Gase really sucks

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we would have swapped with phily at 6 this would have made pretty good sense.

But that train has passed.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Well, if the Jets have a shot at a FQB in this draft, then I say they take it. That's up to JD to decide.

NYJetsO12, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like Sam. I hate losing. I feel Sam was part of the problem, but how much? We don't know. I am ready for a fresh start with Douglas, Saleh and Wilson. It is that simple.

I don't think it is crazy to say that if I was another team, I would give Sam a chance 100%. I believe he could still succeed in the league. A fresh start will do him good too, not just the Jets. Sometimes it is best for both sides to part ways.

13. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Chad was drafted with the 18th pick. The best Jets QB drafted this century.

Sanchise was drafted with the 5th pick.

Darnold was drafted with the 3rd pick.

Whats that you say, lets use the 2nd pick on a QB.

What could possibly go wrong?

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

chad would have been such a stud if not for the injuries. the 2009 and 2010 jets win a championship if we had chad over sanchez

Footballgod214, Jets81 and ouchy like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, but I think Rivera is nuts. He took too many hits in the head while playing LB.

He makes it sound so easy to just get their next QB any time. Yes, one can get A QB, but not necessarily the right QB or a FQB. He also doesn't say that those other teams intentionally built first and then drafted their QB. I'd be willing to bet that: a. that "lot of teams" he mentioned was probably only 1-2, maybe 3 teams at most; and b. that if you spoke with the GM and HC of those teams, that was not the way that they wanted to build, but they had no choice. They either didn't have the right draft position to get a QB that they wanted, didn't have the capital to trade up or couldn't find a team willing to trade down with them, or they didn't like any of the QBs in that draft, so were forced to wait to get their QB. I certainly hope that no NFL team is stupid enough to pass on a FQB prospect because their team wasn't solid, and thought, "Oh we can just get a QB next year." Similarly, I hope that no NFL team would take a QB just to take a QB, when they didn't like or believe in him. A lot of stupidity goes on in the NFL,however, so maybe some teams do do things in an assbackwards way. That doesn't mean it's valid. Heck, Ronnie Lott was stupid enough to have the tip of a finger or two amputated so he could play that Sunday.

I'm sorry, but no one will ever convince me that it is valid to build the team first. We all know how few really good QBs there are in the NFL. There aren't enough to go around. IMO passing on a potential FQB because one's team isn't solid is one of the craziest ideas I've ever heard. Just because one drafts a QB, doesn't mean that he has to play immediately. If you're worried about him taking a pounding, you can start a JAG vet, and then go all out to fix your OL with the rest of your draft picks, with FA the next year, and the draft that next year. The same thing goes with skill position players. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years. It doesn't seem to have hurt him. Chad Pennington sat for a year or two. Tom Brady sat. It used to be routine for roookie QBs to sit. I believe rookie QBs didn't begin starting until some point in the '90s, maybe the '80s.

#1536 NCJetsfan, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Borat likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes because we should definitely group all prospects together and not evaluate them individually as it relates to draft position.

I'm not opposed to trading down for a haul though.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Initially, I was opposed to keeping Sam. I still don't think it would be fair to Sam if the plan is to start him and let the rookie sit this year. However, if the plan is to start Wilson (or Fields), and work with Sam to help him fix his flaws, it could work, but the thing is, Wilson or Fields has things that he will need to work on, as does Morgan. How much time does the QB Coach and OC have or is willing to give to work one-on-one with each of these QBs? That would be what is best for Sam, but not for the Jets or the rookie QB.

I want Sam to have a chance to develop. He has already been royally screwed over by the Jets. To keep him and start him this year, I think would only continue to screw him. Since several teams were interested in him, it seems that some team would be interested in trading for him and seeing if they could develop him/help him fix his issues this season. They'd have to get him to extend his contract a year at a cheaper rate than the $25 million, but if a team was willing to make a commitment to him to work with him, be patient and then give him the opportunity to win the starting job in 2022, he might accept.

Borat likes this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No it’s not.

REVISion likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The definition of insanity is somewhere in Adam Gase's eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.