Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horn’s a great player & prospect.I dont think he’ll be there at 23 first of all.Secondly,we’re switching to that cover 3/zone oriented look.Horn could Obv play it but is much better suited for a man scheme.

Farley might be the one guy at 23 or perhaps trading down a few slots. Hes not on the hip the way Horn is on tape,but if health checks out,hes a perfect scheme fit & projects as a straight up playmaker

REVISion likes this.
  2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I disagree Kurt. Najee is definitely worth it. Whether he's worth it if other certain players are there is debatable. But Harris is definitely worth it I believe

3. Hes a good player & may end up going round 1.

Have never been a big fan of his running style, Which of course is purely subjective.Dont like the idea of drafting an RB w a premium pick,in turn discouraging a RB by committee approach. I do believe that there are special backs that will warrant a 1st round pick,but those are exceptions to the rule

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think he's worth the pick because I think he's going to turn into a prime Bell with his versatility if used correctly. I also subscribe to the no runningback in the first unless they're absolutely special mentality but I'd throw him into that bin. He's got some of the softest hands for a college back (especially at his size) that I've ever seen.

However, I don't think this is the right running system for him whatsoever because he's not fast enough to run stretch zone plays. I'm good at grabbing one in the mid rounds for a committee approach. I just hope Miami doesn't take him.

azhar80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

Disclaimer; I'm a lifelong Bills fan.

My thought is that Sam has never had a chance to succeed. It hasn't been as bad as his draft classmate Josh Rosen had it, but the deck has been stacked against Darnold from the start. Darnold just survived two years of what may have been the worst head coaching in modern NFL history. Two years ago the Jets had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL. Last year he had no wide receivers or a running game and only marginally better line play. He's been injured, had mono, and has had to soak up the arrows of a New York press corps that makes Voldemort look compassionate and understanding by comparison.

The Jets are sitting on a king's ransom of draft picks and can add to it by trading out of the #2 spot and finally put an NFL level roster around Darnold. They could get two or three more 1st rounders to trade back into the middle of the 1st round this year. The Jets could completely pillage the draft this year and next and put a real O-Line in front of Darnold. You guys have Becton already, build off him. Draft some real weapons to take the load of Darnold. JD could revamp the talent on both sides of the ball over the next two years and challenge for the division three seasons from now. Keeping Darnold would facilitate that process.

I think keeping Darnold, trading back from the #2 spot, scooping up a boatload of draft picks in the process, and rebuilding around Darnold is the smart bet. As a Bills fan, I hope the Jets take the other road and roll the dice on a rookie QB this year.

tomdeb, Footballgod214, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would love this. IMO it would be awesome to add Slater. I wouldn't want to have to give up any additional picks, however, so can't see it happening.

7. NCJetsfan

Yeah, you'd LOVE it if the Jets passed on taking Wilson or Fields, and stuck with Sam. That would screw the Jets but good. No thanks.

JetBlue and barfolomew like this.
  8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I agree, but i think our options to move down are pretty limmited at this point. If we stick at two, i think Fields is the pick. That being said if we could get a haul of picks and maybe a player to fill the tremendous gaps this team has, it may be worth doing. Sam os till very young. How did you feel when the bills picked Allen?

Inigo Montoya likes this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think he is being genuine.

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

no hes not bro, no RB is.....you can get a RB in the 3rd round and lose nothing

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

JD may just be willing to take the bluff all the way to draft day. If a team really wants Wilson, the offer to get him when the Jets are on the clock could be Herschel Walkeresque.

12. NCJetsfan

Either way, he's wrong imo. Rolling with Sam and not taking a QB would be a disaster, and JD should be fired.

13. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

I'm not here trying a Jedi mind trick on the Gang Green message board. Joe Douglas isn't going to read my post and wouldn't care what I have to say anyways. I really think Sam Darnold can be a solid NFL QB if he is given an honest chance. That's all.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  14. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

I'm not a big college football fan and didn't know anything about Josh Allen except for what I had heard and read draftniks in the media saying. I thought Josh Allen looked the part but I honestly didn't have an informed opinion on which QB the Bills should draft that year. When the Bills selected Josh Allen he became my guy and I rooted for him. I would have done the same if they had drafted Darnold. I wasn't big on Josh Rosen because he seemed like a jerk.

The Bills picked up Trubisky as backup this year and it will probably only be for a year. If Darnold doesn't hang on with the Jets this year and is available the following year I'd love to have the Bills sign him as their back up to replace Trubisky. Darnold and Allen are great friends and I think Darnold could step in and win games if Allen gets hurt.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You’re not alone in thinking that, but I don’t think the Jets or Douglas can risk it. That being said, the Jets will be getting calls for the #2 up until they make their selection, and maybe even after, and the offers will only continue to improve.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Why?
    Seriously NC, why would not taking a QB this year be so bad when the second pick is such a powerful tool to rebuild our depleted roster? What is the rush to get a QB this draft, are we starting our playoff run?

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There isn't a rush as far as making a playoff run goes, but if you feel Darnold is not the guy, you need to make a move. It seems like Joe Douglas has come to that conclusion.

I agree with NC if the end product is the Jets continuing to lose with Sam, while ANY of Wilson, Fields, Lance or Jones succeeds or becomes elite in the NFL. That is a fireable offense by Douglas. Unacceptable.

REVISion likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Oh come on DK.

The fact that you're saying, "if ANY of them succeed then JD should be fired" is ridiculous. What if we take Wilson and only Fields succeeds? What if we take Fields and only Mac Jones succeeds? That would be okay, even though it would be the biggest waste of draft capital in our history? In fact, throwing that all away on a QB that busts is the real fireable offense. Not swapping the pick to rebuild the solid core that we haven't had in a decade.

Its bad enough that we are rushing into a rookie QB before we are ready. But we are also reaching for him. There will be just as promising QBs next draft that will come much cheaper. We're the suckers right now.

People are saying stick with Sam one more year while we rebuild, not resign Sam and make him the future.

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The jets ARE trading at least three first round picks and a 3rd and a 4th for either Wilson/Fields. That is how much (at least) they could get for that pick at #2 with even more hype now on Fields. Nobody is saying get married to Darnold for the next 10 years. What we are saying is trade down for a fortune of picks (even take a QB with one of them), because I doubt the jets will ever have such a great chance to trade down FOR SO MUCH ever again. We are not one player away, people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.