Getting Vaccinated for Covid

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Jan 27, 2021.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There was pretty much no flu season this year (as of 2 weeks ago, 1 child in the US had died of the flu this season; last year it was 195). Amazing what not traveling, staying away from people, wearing masks, and washing your hands all the time will do!

Red Menace likes this.
  2. statjeff22

Just FYI, it appears that full protection from the J&J vaccine comes after four weeks, as opposed to two weeks after the second shot for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. It's interesting that the total numbers after the first/only shot aren't that different (4 weeks J&J, 5 weeks Pfizer, 6 weeks Moderna).

King Koopa likes this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Thanks - I plan on being just as careful with the masks and sanitizer for a while as I’ve always been kind of a germ guy anyway

Have you heard of people with no symptoms at all from the J&J or maybe I’m speaking too soon?

4. statjeff22

Yeah, I don't know anyone who got the J&J, so no personal anecdotal evidence. As far as the trials went, the news is good and bad for you. The typical side effects are the same - arm pain, fever, fatigue. Side effect rates seem to be lower than for the others (particularly the second shot of the others), and the allergic reaction (and Moderna rash) didn't happen. Side effects are worse for younger people. But, the side effects (including arm pain) apparently start on average two days after the inoculation, so you're not out of the woods yet.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-side-effects-what-to-know

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Interesting...most everyone I know that got the vaccine, that also got sick, had symptoms start like 4-6 hours after usually from what I can tell. Maybe this one is later on average, it seems like that’s the case

Also from the same article is that it seems only 55% of people got sick In the trials, so hopefully I’m in the 45%

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm finally on the list out here in Lancaster, PA. Waiting for the phone call / email saying when I can go in for the poke.

7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

My parent got both shots. 2nd one yesterday. My mom is having a tough time after the 2nd. A lot of aches , exuasted, no appetite etc.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The glass is truly half full

Brook! likes this.
  9. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Had my jab on Thursday. A bit tired on Friday, but that may not have been vaccine related. Pleased that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train. Also, clocks went forward last night, so lighter evenings, friends in my garden next week and I'm on two weeks holiday.

To top it all off the Jets can't lose A game for months.

Brook! likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm going for mine tomorrow.

Brook! and donkey like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why do you guys hang out in the garden?

12. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Nothing's bloody open! That will change in 12th April... but until then, mates in the garden, with beer and pig snacks.

The Waterboy and Brook! like this.
  13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I got lucky on Saturday. I went into Walgreens to pick up a script. The girl behind the counter asked if I had received the vaccine yet. I told her I wasn't able to yet (under 50 in Florida). She said they had gotten more than they knew what to do with and said I could get one on the spot. Also said to tell my friends to go up. It was the first of the Pfizer shots.
    My Dad got his second shot today and Mom gets her second tomorrow. Feels like finally, a light at the end of the tunnel.

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I had put my name on a back up list at a few Walmart if they had any left at end of day. Never got called but then they opened up for school employees at a pop up site, just got my second shot last Thursday. I'm in central Florida.

Second shot my arm was not as sore as the first, barely felt it after, had some upper body pain but I hadn't been to the gym in a week and then went Friday morning so I think it was more that than the shot. After you get your second shot you can get you Covid Passport (vaccination card) laminated for free at Staples.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about Staples. Thanks for that info. I'll have to make sure my folks do that as soon as possible.

16. The Waterboy

If the info on the card is written in they laminate that card, if they used stickers on the card like on mine they'll need a copy of the card first since those stickers are heat sensitive and will turn black when laminated. Staples will make the copy but charge $2.55 for the copy since it's double sided so if they have a copier available they can save a few bucks by making the copy themselves. Probably a good idea to have a copy of the card anyway.

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Just got an appointment for Monday with 2nd dose of Pfizer already scheduled for 26. Now my kids just need to magically age 7 and 9 years really quick so they can get a shot.

bicketybam likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Great info. That card is so flimsy so I was going to laminate my fathers just so it wouldn't get destroyed in his wallet. Will just take it there instead. Thanks!

The Waterboy likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Getting my second shot in 2 weeks..

HomeoftheJets, Brook! and bicketybam like this.
  20. The Waterboy

I will say a few of the nice things about where I got it. No appointment needed, just drove up, got the shot while sitting in my truck, moved over to a waiting area and sat for 1/2 hour.
    I guess having hay fever puts you in the longer wait after the shot over others, no underlying issues only had to wait 15 minutes before leaving.

Second shot was even quicker, from the time I drove up to the time I got the shot was all of 5 minutes, then the paramedic monitoring those waiting after the shot told me I didn't need to wait a 1/2 hour, drove out 15 minutes later.

So total time for first shot about 45 minutes, second shot 20 minutes.

How long is it taking the rest of you? I saw some long lines at some other spots.

Brook! likes this.