My Take on 2021 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Mar 27, 2021.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The guy you picked as the #1 has a great chance of being the 5th QB taken. Even people here in Ohio don't think as much of Fields as you do. The knock everyone here, including OSU fans have on Fields is he cannot do progressions and relies on his running if the first or second target is not open.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We’ll see. Just my opinion. But a guy with that size/athleticism/arm talent combination has every chance to be special if supported properly.

Also the “cannot do progressions” thing is just such BS.

3. JetsFan

This BS has been stated by many in the NFL community. Many also state he isn't the best at reading defenses, which will only be much harder to do in the NFL level. If those two things were not true, he would be inked in at #2 or #3, and not Zach Wilson and Mac Jones on most drafts. Both Wilson and Jones played in more NFL style offenses and are more pro ready starting day one. Some like you would say Fields has a higher upside, but the same was said about Darnold's potential over Josh Allan who played in a pro style offense, and yet Buffalo is not drafting a QB this year and we are.

4. Big Cat

Per PFF, the highest graded QBs in CFB when throwing past their first read in 2020

1) Zach Wilson 94.7
    2) Spencer Rattler 89.2
    3) Justin Fields 87.6

Can’t do progressions

5. JetsFan

I know what you are trying to say, but all I see is Wilson at #1.

Plus, it was professional NFL analysts and prior NFL QBs that stated he has issues with his reading progression and they are way more qualified than us on this board. Many have outright said Fields should sit for at least 8-10 games before starting, like Mahomes and Jackson did, while all have said Wilson is ready week one. We don't know who will be better in the end, but from someone who lives near OSU, I talk to DIEHARD fans and they seem to agree with the pro analyst.

The tell is Urban Meyer has never mentioned Fields and he knows him better than any of us.

REVISion likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All the more reason Wilson should be ranked #1 here.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Great work Big Cat. I only read the Zach Wilson one and a bit of the Lawrence but I really enjoyed your report. I'll read the rest later

Big Cat likes this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Solid posts and definitely an A for effort!

It’s hard to call a guy out after so much time has been put into your analysis but I got to say I think your waaaay off on several of your analysis of these prospects. I will also say I completely agree on the majority of your bullet points.

First your grade on Fields is jaw dropping at 9.4?! Wow! That’s lock HOF caliber grade that’s up there with Elway and Luck. I’m sorry but there just isn’t even close to enough tape for that grade. Fields has a season and a half of college ball under his belt. That grade is outrageous unfortunately. I see how you like his size, athleticism, durability, mental fortitude and toughness but to say in can pass the ball with accuracy at all three levels is false. It’s just flat out wrong. Fields has excellent deep ball accuracy but struggles with intermediate throws. His inabilities ti get off his first read is also troubling. To me Fields build, long delivery and his hero ball actions remind me of a more athletic Darnold more than Dak. With his ceiling being Russell Wilson and his floor Vince Young.

Secondly Trevor Lawrence isn’t second to to any prospect in the last 5 years plus. His ability to make players around him better, his physical attributes, his ability throwing the football, his instincts in the pocket are off the charts good and most of all his decision making with the football is elite. Simple as that! Lawrence sees the game at another speed and that’s something you can’t teach and he has all the physical gifts to go with it. I believe he will be the next John Elway in the league. He reminds me so much of Elway on the field when he was coming out.

Your evaluation of Wilson I find is the best one. I think you nailed his pros and cons. The only thing I would add in addition to what you have said is that whoever gets Wilson needs to let him develop to iron out his deficiencies. If he can develop and get a chance to completely get up to speed with the NFL game watch out for him.

JetsFan likes this.
  9. Big Cat

I know the Fields grade is incredibly high, but I think there’s just so much there to be molded. If you have any trust in your coaching staff, you’re salivating at the thought of a 6’3” 225 QB who runs a 4.44 and can make every throw on the field. He’s literally what you would get if you created a player in Madden. And at that point, if you can’t build a scheme that features his strengths or coach him to read the field a littler quicker, that’s on you as a coaching staff.

10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Although athletic QB are the new vogue I am not sure if we are too distracted at looking at athleticism for QB and mix it with potential. We are not looking at a receiver or a running back here and the NFL is not a video game. My point is that I would rather have a QB that excel with the mental aspect of the position than his ability to run in straight line but maybe that is just me.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

2nd read =/= 4th read

I also see wilson at 1 which just proves more of a case for wilson.

The main thing the fields people are missing is look at his throws and who he's throwing to. mostly wide open. not "NFL window" throws. wilson routinely made throws in tight windows in perfect spots where only his WR could get it. he threw people open and did it from all angles and areas. he's shown he can make NFL throws. fields has shown he has talent in shorts and playing catch. It sucks because it's hard to knock fields for hitting wide open targets but he won't have it that easy in the NFL. Thats what bothers me about his film.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great Job Cat!

But eating all those Mrs. Fields cookies is just bad for your teeth;)

Big Cat and NCJetsfan like this.