Some FAs still out there for the jets to look at

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 30, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Figured i'd do a best of the rest for unsigned guys. the jets still have around 15 mil or so to spend once rookies are considered so not a ton but we could restructure or release to make room still and FAs right now won't be expensive at all with the market drying up and teams not having cap

1) Malik hooker FS Estimated 2 years 10 mil (5 APY)
    he's 25 coming off his rookie contract. indy declined his option due to injuries. he's been banged up quite a bit. but when on the field he's a playmaker. jets are thin at safety with maye on the franchise tag and approaching 30. joyner on a 1 year deal, and 2nd year man davis. hooker can start opposite maye in 2021 and give us flexibility while joyner and davis back them up

2) Malik Jefferson 4-3 SAM LBer Estimated 1 year 750k
    he's 25 and the former 3rd round pick has bounced around the league a lot. last year he was with the chargers on a 1 year 750k deal. he's been injured a bit but he's athletic and young and could provide depth as he tries to work his way back on a roster and would be dirt cheap. jets really need some LBers too

3) Shaquem Griffin 4-3 OLB estimated 1 year 900k
    The former 4th round pick is probably most famous for having only 1 hand but you have to respect a guy who never gave up and would be cheap depth for the team

4) Nick Mullins QB Estimated 1 year 750k
    If the plan for the jets is to trade darnold and draft wilson, then signing mullins as a back-up is a great idea. he knows the system well, is cheap, and could even start a few games until wilson is ready

5) Kwon Alexander 4-3 OLB 1 year 6 mil
    Kwon is an interesting player who would likely take a 1 year prove it deal this offseason. All the big money is gone. he's only 26 and was a cap cut of NO due to their cap issues after they traded for him the year prior. He would likely start with the jets day 1 but is coming off an achilles injury. he's probably easily the most talented LBer for our system still out there though and was a pro bowler in 2017

Personally I think landing alexander and hooker could do wonders for our defense and mullins would be great as a back-up if we trade darnold

barfolomew likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

These are interesting options still out there...….wasn't Hooker drafted the same year as Adams and Maye?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nice. Is there any help at the Guard position?

4. GasedAndConfused

yup.
    not at this point. just back-up tier players. we have depth, we need starters. it's going to be something we draft. should be some good choices at pick 34 for us though.

LAJet likes this.
  5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'd love to see us bring Poole back

Cman68, NCJetsfan, b.reyes16 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I loved Hooker as a prospect but signing him when we just signed another safety to start and tagged our current one might not make a ton of sense. If he's in for as a potential backup that'd be cool.

barfolomew and legler82 like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I’d rather check in with Kwon and see what’s brewing in the CB market as well.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

he's much better then joyner and hooker may take a multiple year deal. both our starters are on 1 year deals and the only other viable S on the roster is 2nd year man davis. to start 2022 we have 1 safety on the roster and that's davis. signing hooker for 2 years gives us flexibility. not to mention injuries happen and we can run 3 safeties in nickel packages over the extra CB

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

There are quite a few corners still out there, Poole, Sherman, Nelson that could start right away. I don’t think we should be going into the season with Hall, Austin, Guidry, and a rookie as our cornerbacks.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Just outa curiosity, has Seattle give Adams a new contract yet? When we traded him he said he'd be ok with waiting till the offseason. What did he get?

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Stugots so far.. I think the Simmons deal screwed the hawks now.. because you know he’s asking for as much

barfolomew and Footballgod214 like this.
  12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Mitchell Schwartz. Please, JD, sign him so that Wilson/Fields/? doesn't get killed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Might need his Achilles first

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

14. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

My list of Free Agents I'd love to still sign.
    QB- A. Smith
    C/G- A. Reiter
    LB- K. Alexander
    CB- Poole + G. Conley + Sherman
    S- Hooker

Least needed addition: WR- D. Westbrook. A nice addition, but he doesn't really improve the team as #4 WR.

15. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Wonder what the price on Clowney might be. Could be a bargain at this point to pair with Lawson. Even if he's not the pass rusher everyone expected, he's serviceable and more than stout against the run.

Steven Nelson or Brian Poole seem like good fits as well.

LAJet likes this.
  16. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I think Clowney would be too expensive for what he is at this point.

Really weird that we haven't signed Poole. Is he that bad a fit in the new D or did he talk shit about the team or something?

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Kwon Alexander would seem to be a good fit if healthy and LB is really lacking. I'm thinking at this point though waiting until after the draft to determine what positions are still in need/who to sign next is best unless there's a position that's a lock to require a veteran presence. I think QB is one of those, but for what it's worth JD just talked up Mike White and James Morgan - which may not mean much and hopefully doesn't because at this point going into the season with either as the backup is scary.

Agreed it's somewhat surprising they haven't resigned Poole, but even more surprising nobody else has. This guy has been one of the top nickels in the league over the past two seasons. What's going on?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

wouldn't bother. we have lawson and JFM starting. curry subbing in. plus zuniga and huff all at DE.
    D-line is very deep for us. not something we need to look at anymore. even at DT we have rankings and Q starting with foley and shepard behind them.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I loved Hooker coming out of college, but with his injury history and the fact that we have Maye, Joyner and Davis, I have no interest in him now. We need a SS, not another FS.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Jefferson, Griffin, or Alexander to help the LB corps, but evidently neither Saleh, Ulbrich no JD have any interest.

I do think they should sign Mullens as he at least has some playing experience and knows the system. But whichever QB of Wilson/Fields the Jets draft and Morgan are both probably better than Mullens, so they may see little value in signing him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Davis needs to play sitting isn't going to help him that much. Hooker won't help if he's often injured and unavailable. I think Maye will sign an extension, and Joyner could as well.