Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Am I the only one having serious flashbacks of 2018 — right down to SF pulling a Maccagnan move?

like most years I’m completely befuddled by the QB options.

Crazy thought of the day is trades aren’t done. For example if jets were intent on non-qb I could still see them flipping spots w SF to stay ahead of Cincy

2. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I have been thinking for a while that they could do two trade. One with SF or ATL to switch pick and another one with Carolina after.

3. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

We could have got Claypool instead of trading down. I never understood the praise on JD on this one. I am not the biggest Mims fan but to be fair to him he is still young and he was injured for a half a year.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It’s funny seeing fans always wanting their team to trade out or trade for more picks, as if it’s some fantasy trade season where they can acquire all of the best collegiate players while grabbing 3-4 1st rounders. In reality, some and most teams don’t care to do that, but moreso have a board with rankings that show where they would draft player A and B in relative terms to the scheme being ran at a certain time.

I say this because the Jets already have a massive chest of high quality picks the next few years, why the hell are fans enamored with what the next team does, AKA, the Dolphins when they have their supposed “franchise QB” on their team? Now whether or not he’s the future is in question but they can afford to trade down, gather more picks because they have a QB they believe it. The Jets don’t. It would be foolish to do what they do, especially when Sam has way more questions than answers at the QB spot.

If there’s a guy you LOVE, you be aggressive and grab him at the spot you have. So at 2, there seems to be no question that Wilson is the man for the Jets. If at 23 there’s a guy they love, take him. Don’t try to be cute and “trade down” to get more picks and hope that same guy is there at say, 29...you may risk losing that guy just to get more ammo for the future. Teams trade out because they feel the guys they want will be around when they pick or they feel comfortable with a pool of players at said pick. When teams trade up, they’ve read the room and feel like, “hey we need to GET this guy.”

Prime example is JD was more then comfortable trading down to get more picks but to grab Mims where they did. By all accounts he definitely showed the skills that he’s on his way to be a damn GOOD WR. But who knows if he was picked before...JD may have had numerous WR targets for that pick and was more then fine of grabbing whoever at that selection. It’s all relative to the draft board.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Did you hear the latest about Claypool? He got involved in a bar brawl in CA. There is some video of the brawl, and Outside the bar there was a guy on the ground, and Claypool is kicking him in the head and body.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well if you find urself in brawl there's nothing wrong with trying to win it

cval likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Because the Jets were sooo bad that it looks good by comparison.

The Corey Davis signing was pretty damming to Mims I'd say. Davis, same skillset as Mims only better. Mims better show up to camp ready or he will be riding the pine

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

well take your ass over to the fins site

SOJAZ and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

see now you made me go to this stupid website

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/24/nfl-...an-in-face-in-wild-bar-fight-caught-on-video/

Doesn't seem too bad. there was one kick, and they said he wasn't an instigator but rather protecting his friend in a chaotic situation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty funny how drunk most of them are.

10. NCJetsfan

Spot on and great post! So many posters and Jets fans don't get it. I think Madden and the draft game where one gets rewarded for trading down and adding picks have ruined many football fans. They can't see reality any more. They're greedy. We could have 12 picks and they'd want 15 or 20. Thank God, JD doesn't act like that.

While I didn't like his trading down and risking losing Mims, I think that you're probably right that he had others in mind, and may have had info leading him to know that Mims was pretty safe. Maybe he took a calculated risk that one team could have taken him. Generally, I think it's best and wisest not to fall in love with a player/prospect in the draft. The only exception is QB. If there's a guy who has all the traits you want in your QB, has the production, athleticism, and character you want, then you'd better take him when you get the chance, and not get greedy or cute trying to move down, add another pick or picks, and still take him. In this draft for example, if JD likes Jones or Lance better than Wilson/Fields, he could perhaps trade down and still get Jones or Lance, but it's very risky with so many teams needing a QB. Even if the teams that were taking QBs were taking Wilson or Fields, some other team could trade up ahead of him, and he wind up with no QB, or a QB he really doesn't like. Sometimes it can also apply to other positions. Let's say there is one blue chip edge rusher in the 2022 draft sitting there at the Jets' pick. If they like him, they should take him, not trade down and hope they could get him later. The only reason to do that would be if there is another blue chip DE they have rated equally but think they could get a few picks lower and none of the teams that would wind up ahead of them need a DE. Even then he'd be risking another team trading up.

If a team has no real needs and is just drafting BPA and has a bunch of players rated equally, one could trade down and still get one of them. Also, if one wants a DE and has 3-4 of them rated equally, and if all or most of them are still available at their pick, then the GM could probably safely trade down a few spots and still get one of them.

The only time I think a GM should definitely trade down is if he traded up a year or two previously and burned a lot of picks to get a player. He then needs to balance that by trading down in the next draft or several drafts to recoup those picks, so he doesn't wind up with depth issues or holes.

NYGANGGREEN, Mogriffjr and Brook! like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Winning is one thing, kicking a guy in the head is a punk action. The only time I would ever do that would be if he had pulled a knife on me and tried to kill me or perhaps had assaulted my wife/girlfriend; otherwise, you or someone has put him on the ground. You watch him, discern whether he's done or not, but you don't kick laying on the ground. That's no class, punk, hoodlum behavior. You can kill someone doing that shit.

12. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree! It had nothing to do with Mims. Mims was fine. Mims was injured and missed much of the season, had no preseason games, and think missed time in TC. Flacco looked for and saw Mims. Mims was open. It's not his fault Darnold can't see the field and didn't look for him. That's all on Darnold!

13. NCJetsfan

I was joking, using hyperbole.

amuck57 likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Fixed it! ;)

15. NCJetsfan

He looks like an instigator to me. When things calmed down, he went back and started pushing people, and then he ran when a guy turned on him. Getting in a bar fight is stupid. He could have broken a hand, torn a ligament, gotten a concussion, etc. Getting that drunk is pretty stupid too, but he's a kid.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You should watch the video ther narrate it.

17. NCJetsfan

I have watched it 3 times.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yeah the nerve of him...i mean none of us ever did anything like that.

19. NCJetsfan

I never got in a bar fight and never got that drunk publically.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

And you see a guy laying on the ground that claypool is kicking in the head and body?