Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Definitely a chance we keep him. I don't know about starting him though.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gase's first season 2019 was a weird season. Mac invested zero in the oline, which was already the worse in the nfl. We also had the worse WRs, and Bell was out of shape. The only thing we were best at is we had the most starters out for the season than any other team, including CJ Mosely, our prized MLB.

Then Sam came down with mono during the first half and was out almost a month. Sheesh.

But the thing that stands out the most is a mid-season sit down between Sam and Gase where Sam spoke up about the plays he likes, etc. Gase altered his game plans going forward and Sam closed out the season 6-2 and had the highest QBR in the nfl during the last month. All with the worse line, WRs, and most starters on IR. Gave a lot of hope for 2020.

What struck me the most about the Gase/Sam sitdown was this was the only sitdown they had, mid way thru the season.

See, I thought QBs and the HC talked all the time, especially behind the scenes, in meetings, HCs office, etc. Especially if the HC was also the playcaller. I was shocked to read they had only sat down one time to discuss the plays. I remember thinking 'WTF is wrong with Gase? How is he NOT on Sam's hip and in his ear all the time, and vice versa'???

I'm still learning just how bad Gase was and how important a good coaching staff is, especially to a young QB.

azhar80, PJ4Ever and LAJet like this.
  3. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I think it’s pretty obvious Zach Wilson is the pick at #2. If you don’t believe he is you are in denial.

Sam Darnold failing here has nothing to do with Zach Wilson.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Yeah in that 31-6 game. Go get em Sammy!

Footballgod214 and phubbadaman like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see that now you only think it is obvious - that's a whole lot more realistic than claiming it was going to happen. Now it is just an opinion which you're certainly entitled to.

The thing is that your claim that Darnold has nothing to do with Wilson is dead wrong. As you said earlier Darnold was so overhyped that guys like you were sure he was a can't miss prospect; guess what? He missed. Now you and a bunch of other guys are overhyping Wilson as another can't miss prospect. What's different?

#1365 Ralebird, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    azhar80 likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold is an asset to the New York Jets, an asset with an unknown value. The New York Jets is a company in the entertainment industry and has no business giving away assets. There sometimes comes a time in business when the indirect value of doing someone a favor pays off over the long run but in the situation the Jets have been in for years giving up an asset for such a vague possible future return is not warranted. Employees come, employees go, especially those who can't handle the pressure inherent in the job - it's the way of the world.

#1366 Ralebird, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    hornblower, MoWilkBeast and LAJet like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it could be any one of Wilson, Fields, Jones, or Lance. I'm getting a gut feeling that it is probably not Wilson, however. Hopefully, that's just agita.

8. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Think it's a smart move to keep Darnold draft Wilson you have a terrible offensive line that won't get much better until next year you have a rebuild still in process since your only getting a late 3rd for Darnold. Keep him let him get killed by the OL let Wilson sit a year last thing the Jets need is to ruin another QB maybe if they Darnold sat for a year things would have turned out differently.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

if we take sewell at # 2 that gives us 2 franchise LT, witch one is going to take RT money. imo trade back with carolina make the best deal possible there #1 and #2 and maybe a 3rd and next years #1 then at #8 take the best player needed, DE, CB, WR. and at #23 take the best guard available. now i don't know if we could get that much, but i think it is essential if we trade out of this years #2 pick that we get a #1 next year.

#1369 amuck57, Mar 30, 2021
    ouchy and Skicats like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree but I give it till week 3 before the half-capacity, masked-up fans in the stadium boo Darnold off the field and demand Wilson

if that's gonna happen, and it will, then might as well trade Darnold and get something for him

11. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think in this instance you guys are both right if we can assume the Jets are taking a QB at #2. I think trading Darnold on or before draft night both maximizes the the asset he is while being the best thing for him personally...keeping him is going to set him up to fail worse than they already have, with tremendous pressure on every incompletion and interception, while everyone chanting for the heir apparent to play. Destroys both Darnold’s value and psyche. Everyday after draft night, where the jets will get max value for him whatever that may be, his value goes down...draft night is where future draft capital by some slightly interested/desperate team exceeds Darnold’s present day value while also giving the kid a shot at revitalizing his career.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Week 3? I'm sure the first training camp Darnold INT tweet will send the mob marching to Florham Park, pitchforks and all.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Fans who say "We only have Sam b/c Sam sucks and no team offered a fair trade" are totally discounting the value of Sam to JD as the draft approaches.

JD does not strike me as a GM who zeros in on a single player and everything else be damned.

JD strikes me far more as a wheeler and dealer. If he's decided to move on from Sam, then he turns his attention to the draft. The only thing better than getting your guy at #2 is getting your guy at #8 plus a WHOLE LOT MORE draft capital. JD LOOOOVES himself some extra draft capital.

But trading down from #2 to #whatever always comes with a risk.

And right there is where the value of Sam (in JD's back pocket) comes in.

No matter how the draft falls, he'll never be caught w/o a starting QB, even if that starting QB is Sam Darnold.

#1373 Footballgod214, Mar 30, 2021
    Ralebird likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean it's literally come out that teams think he's worth a late 3rd or conditional 4th dude. You're just trying to backpedal into recovery from your takes that he might be worth multiple first round picks if Watson is worth three.

bicketybam and Borat like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Who knows, maybe the team will offer 3d rounder and some serviceable back-up, whom they won't need, and would probably prefer to shed off the CAP. Plus we got Morgan on the second year. I thought the whole point of drafting this guy was that he could be a cheap back-up with some potential. I still believe there is greater than 50% chance Sam gets traded. Likely during draft when teams miss out on QBs like Trask and/or a player JD valued drops to around 3d round where the offer may be. If draft passes without a trade, then there is still a shot for a trade in pre-season if Sam does well there, like we did with Teddy.

16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Does Atlanta want a QB? We know San Francisco came up to get one.

17. Footballgod214

If the situation surrounding Zack were a bit better (2 seasons of high success, 6'-5", 230lbs, zero health issues) then he'd be the all-consensus #2 pick, maybe even the #1.

But with other QBs in the mix, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, others, there's at least a possibility of JD trading down 'some' for a windfall and still getting one of these other QBs.

After watching what JD did last draft when we were desperate for a WR, but still trading back and rolling the dice, I can see him doing the exact same thing this year.

If JD falls madly in love with ZW and won't trade down, then he'll most likely ship Sam out for whatever he can get for him at this late stage. ZW will be the opening day starter. There's too many ways for LaFleur to protect Zack with game plans and play calls to have him sitting.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

All,

Now that this thread remained open for a few days and everybody got to see the opening argument and respond, time to merge this with the main Sam Darnold thread.

Let's continue there please.

Thanks,
    Mngmnt

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They can definitely afford to trade Sam, and they eventually will. Douglas will add some veteran to the QB room to join Wilson and Morgan. Maybe Mullens or Smith like you said. Even a Brian Hoyer or Blake Bortles would be fine.

Douglas has not seemed to value the back-up QB position since he took the job with the Jets, but I hope that is just because he hasn't felt the roster is a contender yet. Once they take those next steps, I hope they have a great starter (likely Wilson) and then a solid QB to back him up in 2022 and beyond.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If we keep him we are starting him and sitting the rookie, if we draft a rookie, of course. :eek:

If we keep him and start a rookie and make all the same mistakes again then we deserve everything we get.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.